Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: For newbies and lurkers looking at the Triumph Trophy  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
For newbies and lurkers looking at the Triumph Trophy
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:42:55 AM »
This is personal comparison of the touring bikes I have owned. I am no WebBike World (an online resource where you can get professional reviews on these bikes), but I am familiar with these bikes as a user. I am hoping this will help you make a decision if you are comparing the Triumph Trophy to other models.
[[ TT OWNERS ARE WELCOME TO PITCH IN WITH YOUR OWN COMPARISONS]]

The Honda Goldwing (GL) vs. The Triumph Trophy (TT).

The Triumph Trophy is a better all-around bike. It is a better commuter bike because it handles much more nimbly than the GL. It is much easier to drive in the city, curvy roads, and close quarters. The GL is more of an Interstate pack mule, particularly, if you plan to tow a trailer full of camping gear. However, the TT also travels well on the long trip. Several folks have already posted long trips and successful travels because of the TT comfort, superb gas mileage, and smooth engine. In my opinion, having driven my TT in very hot weather-traffic jams, the TT has the best cooling system of any bike.

The GL has a very inefficient (at least up to the 2010) cooling system. They overheat in slow traffic. No such thing with the TT. One thing I hated about the GL is their famous front-end wobble at around 38-41mph. I had to buy 2000 dollars of aftermarket front end to get rid of it. Because of its weight, it is a very difficult bike to maneuver in close quarters. Unfortunately, they have taken out the reserve gear out of new models so peddling the GL back requires ‘legs’. The TT is a very easy bike to maneuver and solid-steady on the road.

The Kawasaki Concour  (C14) vs The Triumph Trophy (TT)

The C14 is the one sports touring bike that leans more toward ‘sports’ than touring. It has a mammoth 1352cc engine and produces a great deal of torque. It also sits the rider in a sports-riding position that is very uncomfortable for touring or commuting. The TT is classified as a 1215cc; however, the TT has more than adequate torque out of any gear. It will cruise at high speed smoothly, and can muster good speed increase rapidly when needed. The TT has the most comfortable sitting position of all the touring models.

I found the C14 to shift rough, especially at low rpm. My impression is: the C14 is not running comfortably unless you are winding it to mid-range rpm. The TT shifts the smoothest of all touring bikes, and amazingly enough, at any RPM. C14 riders, including myself, have spent a lot of money trying to make it a touring-friendly bike (sitting position, seat, handlebar reach, peg extension). The Concour has a wicket oscillating vibration on the throttle that is accounted for numbing the right hand of long distance riders (though some claim they don’t have this problem, many do report it). The C14 is a very top-heavy bike. Most sports touring bikes are top heavy, but the C14 is on top of that trait. Engine guards are a must. Interestingly, I found the C14 to feel very heavy on the handlebars in turns (Owners will argue vehemently about this). The TT on the contrary handles really easy and light in transitions on turns. The TT has a much more comfortable sitting position, handlebar reach and seat than the C14. There are no vibration issues on the TT. The throttle in the TT is the fly-by-wire tech which makes this state-of-the-art ergonomics. The headlights are excellent and the stock windshield is the best of the sports touring bikes.
And, the TT’s engine does not seem to heat up as much as the C14. The latter, is constantly kicking the cooling fan on; much more frequently than the Trophy.

The BMW 1200RT vs the Triumph Trophy

Here, don’t even bother. The Trophy is a superior motorcycle in every count. The boxer engines are old technology. You can list all the attributes of a sport-touring cycle:
Comfort, gas mileage, handling, suspension…its not worth to write up a comparison. Go test drive an RT and then a Trophy. You could possibly be fooled into thinking they are pretty close because the RT is no slouch on the road. It is a great handling bike. I used to love mine because I did not know any better. But if you could own one of each for over 4 months you begin to see how distinctively superior the Trophy is over the RT. The only thing the RT has over other sports touring bikes is that it is the easiest one to undress (take fairing off), and they cost more than the others. The RT is a waste of money in today’s market.

My favorite bikes of all time:
The Triumph Trophy: Superior to all other sports touring bikes on every count. It is the most comfortable sitting position. I do not need to buy seats, handlebar raisers nor alter the cables. It has the best gas mileage while producing the most pragmatic horse power and torque in the sports touring stable. It is swift and nimble on the road. It runs cool due to a great cooling system—not found on other bikes…I be willing to bet, responsible for engine longevity as the miles rack up. According to the Owner's Manual it is expected to be the most maintenance-free model in the market. So if you like to have a broken bike you can work on all the time, the Trophy is probably not the bike for you...though you can tinker!

If you have any other questions about these cycle’s attributes that I might have skipped and you would like my opinion, yer welcome to ask on this board. There are plenty of folks here who have great mechanical skills and lots of miles on their arsess that could help your inquiries.

Here are the bikes most recent bikes that I have owned..and I be willing to write you back on any questions you have them compared to the TT.
Kawasaki Concour 1400
BMW 1200 RT
Honda Goldwing 1800
Harley Davidson V-Rod
Honda 1800 VTX Retro
Harley Davidson Fat boy
Harley Davidson Electra
Harley Davidson Dyna
From here down the bikes have no comparative worth with the Triumph Trophy.

Qualifiers: Now I am 3500 miles into my TT. I have not heard of anyone who has reached 10,000 miles (first check up). If by any unforeseen reason the TT starts falling apart long into their life time I may have to eat all these words.

There are some folks who are having electronic problems (you can read all about it in this forum). These appear to be in the extreme minority. I am guessing these are software discrepancies and they ought to be taken care of by Father Triumph in due time.

There is a gas-tank recall due to leaks. Mine and several others have never leaked but I guess they are operating on the side of caution. Several of us have had our front fork seals replaced. There are a couple of theories floating around. Father Triumph claims its prompted by excess grease during assembly.

BTW, Triumph has a great PR in customer care and services—compared to other brands.
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: For newbies and lurkers looking at the Triumph Trophy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »
Hi trumpet, the only one I can't comment on is the Goldwing. Everything else is a good write up and I would agree totally!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »
Nice one Trumpet great post dude  :821: :821:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
Good one.
I had a brief interest in one or two of the Harley range - but some horror stories of poor back up put me off.
I did have a go on a Fat Boy - and while interesting - i just couldn't see me doing the kind of miles at the pace i ride. You don't have to use the performance of the Trophy, but it's nice to have it there when you need it.

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
Nice write up.  It's good to get an actual owner / rider perspective instead of the usual magazine reviewers.  They don't normally get to live with the bikes. 

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »
Good write up, nice to get the view of an owner/ rider. I think of all the comparisons there, it's the RT V Trophy is the most relative in a bike to bike comparison, and having owned RT's in previous days, I would agree with you that the Trophy is a far superior bike. :460:

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
Amen brother, I'm not sure if I'd rather be in church thinking about my TSE or on my TSE thinking about God.

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:40:43 PM »
Its good to be in the Lord all the time.

The only Harley I would ever considered to go on a trip is the v-rod. And then here, its engine was designed by Porche...but the bike itself is designed as a hot rod so it would not be comfy. Its suspension is stiff as a hard-tail.

Agree: the RT is the most logical comparison. But the RT, in spite of being a really good riding bike, it ain't got nothing over the Trophy--that's how great a bike the Trophy is! There simply isn't anything in the market that can compete.

It would be great if some FRJ and ST owner would do a comparative write up
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime