Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: TTSE On The Track  (Read 3627 times)

• Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quincy Ma
    TTSE On The Track
    on: May 11, 2018, 05.12 pm
    May 11, 2018, 05.12 pm
    This past Monday I participated in my first track day. This event is billed as a "Non-Sportbike Track Training" day, which took place at the Thompson Speedway in Connecticut. Ninety participants on tourers, sport-tourers, cruisers, and street bikes, very well organized and highly informative.

There was only one other Trophy.

Anyway, my TTSE performed beautifully. I took off the side bags and topcase, taped up all the glass and covered the speedometer so I wouldn't be distracted, slipped her into "sport" mode, and let her go. Scraped the pegs a few times until I got the body position right, but the bike was solid and stable throughout.

The nice part was that after a day of hard riding and high tach, I could raise up the windshield, shift to "comfort" mode, loaf along at 2700 RPM with cruise control on, and enjoy the ride home.

• Offline karl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    317

Offline karl

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hampden, MA
    Re: TTSE On The Track
    Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05.42 pm
    May 11, 2018, 05.42 pm
    Would have loved to get to know my bike better there as well.  Maybe the next one.
    The Beast

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06.51 pm
    May 11, 2018, 06.51 pm
     :017:Awesome! Don't know if I have the discipline to behave on the way home. What, with all the adrenalin rushing me on.
    And please enlighten me about not dragging your pegs anymore.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

• Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quincy Ma
    Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07.15 pm
    May 11, 2018, 07.15 pm
    Thatís a big subject, but briefly: there is a finite amount of available traction at any given time. Itís use is shared between braking, accelerating, and leaning. If you are leaned over too far youíve taken away some traction that might be better used for braking or accelerating, depending on what you are trying to do. So proper body positioning is hanging off the inside of the bike, shifting the center of gravity and allowing the bike to stand a little taller. Standing taller also means the pegs, pipe and cases wonít scrape along the ground. Sounds easy, doesnít it? :)

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 07.17 pm
    May 11, 2018, 07.17 pm
    Sounds reasonable! Sounds like something worth trying.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4985

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08.53 pm
    May 11, 2018, 08.53 pm
    Just don't forget the consumable elbow pads if you intend to the whole Marc Marquez thing.  I didn't know you could get that far OFF a bike and still control it until I watched him a few times.  Granted he's a little dangerous to other riders sometimes, and it gets ignored by the officials, but he CAN RIDE!
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Cambridge IL
    Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05.26 am
    May 14, 2018, 05.26 am
    Sounds like a good way to become a more confident and competent rider when back on the road, honing some useful survival  skills.  I believe that all of us that have many years of riding experience perceive that we are good riders; but in reality, we all can learn and improve upon whatever our skill level is.
    2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
    1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    951

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 03.54 pm
    May 16, 2018, 03.54 pm
    A few years back when I owned a BMW i attended their rally in Johnson City Tennessee. I went to a go-fast class taught by a woman, don't recall her name, but I learned more in that hour than I had in my previous riding years.
    You have to feel that bike rise underneath you, referring to being always in the powerband and controlling your speed with the throttle, using the brakes only to slow down before a corner
    Keep your feet on the balls of your feet on the foot pegs
    Always lead with your inside elbow, this gets your body in the proper position as referred to above.
    And of course, always look down the road as far as you can see, not right in front of your front tire.
    I love high speed cornering, to me it is what motorcycling is about. This simple class increased my speed in corners about 40% I would say, and I still use these techniques everyday.
    Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03.57 pm by janfmiller
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

tweedy-bunch