Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: True X  (Read 9895 times)

• Offline WI13Trophy

• Trophy Pro  ‐    260
    • Topic Author

Offline WI13Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: Milwaukee
    True X
    on: May 13, 2018, 02.40 am
    May 13, 2018, 02.40 am
    The speed limits in the US vary for unlimited and limited access highways.  They vary from 55 to 80 MPH.  Depends on the state and the population density.  NE and WY have interstate speed limits of 80 MPH so can make good time.
    For the True X the intention is to do it in 21 days or a little less.  Since I live in Milwaukee it is a ride to get to one of the corners to start with.  To add to it I intend on riding US 20 to Chicago to Kenmore Square in Boston to finish that highway.  Will then take US 1 north to Madawaska, ME.  The trip home will be from Key West, FL.  That will get another good chunk of US 1 done and I will have all of US 41 done except from Escanaba, MI to Copper Harbor, MI.  It is mostly all planned out, got the kit two days ago and it has the places to validate so can put that in the final plan.  I am right around 14300 miles for the 4 weeks I will be gone.  Starting out with fresh tires and intend is to get a oil change in Seattle.  Thank goodness for the 10,000 mile oil interval.  There is very little interstate riding other than the Burner 1000 or 1500 from St Joe, MO to Seattle, WA.
    The planning was done with paper maps, I highly recommend the US map from Imus Geographics.  It has enough detail can plan off the Interstate system.  I used Google Maps to calculate the mileage.  I will average a little over 500 miles per day.
    Any question that I have created more than willing to answer.

• Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member  ‐    37

Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: New Plymouth
    Re: True X
    Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 04.52 am
    May 13, 2018, 04.52 am
    Well that's one hell of a ride mate I sure would like to follow along make sure you give us a ride report maybe a map?. :169:

Yea 80 MPH speed limits in places will be good, I was just working out how many tyre sets so you would use but yea start off with a fresh set, new set halfway, which would see you through to the end just?

I hope the trip goes well mate  :821:

IBA # 69575

• Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member  ‐    37

Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: New Plymouth
    Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 05.20 am
    May 13, 2018, 05.20 am
     :084: Actually no you would be on to your third set ?  two sets would not see you through?   (miles to Km, KM to Miles lol)
    IBA # 69575

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    950

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 09.32 am
    May 13, 2018, 09.32 am
    Sounds like a cracking ride, enjoy it. If you put new tyres on at the start and are doing 500 mile days on the big roads, that wont involve too much stopping, starting and accelerating/braking such as a short ride would. I reckon you will get to your oil change/service at 10k with life in the tyres and they could be changed then.

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 12.09 pm
    May 13, 2018, 12.09 pm
    Wow!  Should be interesting.  I've never ridden outside of the Southeast - Mid South - Mid Atlantic areas but have driven in all lower 48 plus most of Canada at one time or another.  My early impressions of the tv show 'Route 66' lit a fire in me many decades ago to take the trip from Chicago to LA - may still do it - in a red Corvette convertible!

• Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro  ‐    102

Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 15 Trophy
    • City / Town: NJ
    Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06.04 pm
    May 13, 2018, 06.04 pm
    Regarding tires: in late June early July, I traveled solo with three loaded Trophy cases from NJ to Ocean City, MD to Sacramento, CA entirely on US 50, then south along CA coast to San Diego (highways 1 and 101), then back to NJ on mostly interstate.  With a bit of exploring in UT, CO, and CA, total mileage was about 12,000.  I used 2 sets of Michelin PS GT's, with about 4000 miles left on the rear.  I found that tire life depended a lot on proper inflation, riding style, and ambient temperature (SW US in summer).  Bear in mind that tires at interstate high speed (= high temperature) can wear as much as slower roads.

I wish you a fantastic voyage.

J

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 07.26 pm
    May 13, 2018, 07.26 pm
    Wow, that is a ride, and here’s me thinking about doing between 4 &5000 miles  :745:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline WI13Trophy

• Trophy Pro  ‐    260
    • Topic Author

Offline WI13Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: Milwaukee
    Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2018, 05.51 pm
    Jul 05, 2018, 05.51 pm
    I looking at getting tires around either Jackson, MS or Joplin, MO.  Does anyone have comments on dealers in those areas?  Will be getting a oil change done in Seattle.  Visited Triumph of Seattle when was out that way last year, they were very nice to deal with.  Have a cousin who lives there, so seems like place to burn a day.