Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Starting circuit issues  (Read 6271 times)

• Offline BubbleheadSpook

• Trophy Member  ‐    55
    • Topic Author

Offline BubbleheadSpook

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Candler, NC
    Starting circuit issues
    on: May 14, 2018, 05.19 am
    May 14, 2018, 05.19 am
    OK folks.  Another issue where the bike will not turn over when hitting the starter switch on the right hand stalk.

I was riding with a bunch of friends on Saturday (and was about 250 miles from home) when it would not start after lunch.  Hit the starter switch and nothing (not even the relay click).  Was able to get the bike push started a couple of times and was able to make it home.

So after reading a lot of this same issue, I started some troubleshooting.  First I swapped out the starter relay to see if that was it.  Same issue.  Then I pulled the relay and use a small jumper to the two terminals that feed the starter itself and the bike turned right over.  Eliminated the starter solenoid. 

PS.  That jumper on the starter relay is a quick trick to start the bike if this happens again...

Then pulled the right side stalk apart and the starter switch wires were both intact.  So I broke out the multimeter and measured the voltage to the main feed to the switch (~14V) and then saw the same exact voltage on the other side of the switch when it was depressed.  So the starter switch itself is working just fine.  I had left the starter relay out during this test.

Next measured the voltage between the starter switch and the relay connector.  Nothing.  And then turned the bike off and attempted to measure the resistance between the switch and the relay connector.  Infinity ohms.

Looks like I have a short somewhere between the switch and the relay connection.  The connector in the relay connection is fine and not pulled out.

I have raised my bars up an inch and while the cables are righter, I have not had any of the full lock to the right issues as others have had.  And this is the first time I have had an issue with the starter as well.

Any suggestions?  Or am I just gonna have to pull the front end apart and trace the wiring and see where the broken wire in and fix it?

Sean...
    Former US Submariner (Sub-marine-er - US, Sub-mariner - UK)
    2013 Trophy SE
    2013 Tiger 800

• Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Cambridge IL
    Re: Starting circuit issues
    Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05.45 am
    May 14, 2018, 05.45 am
    The wire/circuit you have identified as having no continuity is likely what needs to be repaired.  the wire wouldn't be shorted, but an open circuit.  You've determined through your testing that the starter motor, battery, relay and starter switch are functioning. If there is no voltage from the starter switch to trigger the starter relay, but there is power in and out of the starter switch, it appears that you have isolated the fault.  Just be sure all of the ground connections are intact, as this will sometimes skew a diagnosis.
    2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
    1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 08.36 am
    May 14, 2018, 08.36 am
    All good sound analysis into the fault.

In terms of fixing it why not just run a new wire. It would be far quicker than trying to find the break in the original  :007:
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11.52 am
    May 14, 2018, 11.52 am
     :460: I agree with silverstripes. Just run a new wire. Otherwise, you'd have to unwrap the whole wiring loom. That takes a whole lot of time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

• Offline gfxmonkey   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    562

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TROPHY SE
    • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
    Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01.51 pm
    May 14, 2018, 01.51 pm
    I had the same issue recently and worked out it was the relay switch on the side stand that was faulty! Have a look down there.

Glen

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    316

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 02.17 pm
    May 14, 2018, 02.17 pm
    If you don't mind a rambling from a newer owner. 

My 2015 will start with side stand down but in Neutral.  Yep done it and also stalled engine when I put it in first with stand down.  One thing I noticed is unless I really pull in the Clutch to the bar it will not turn over.  So I guess check side stand switch AND clutch lever switch/assembly.

• Trophy Member  ‐    55
    • Topic Author

Offline BubbleheadSpook

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 03.39 pm
    May 14, 2018, 03.39 pm
    *Originally Posted by gfxmonkey [+]
    I had the same issue recently and worked out it was the relay switch on the side stand that was faulty! Have a look down there.

Glen

Thought the side stand might be an issue but it started with the jumper with the side stand up or down.  And I was able to push start the bike on the ride (thankfully I was careful when parking so I could roll down hill to assist) and it ran with the side stand up or down.  Don't think that is it.
    Sean...
    2013 Trophy SE
    2013 Tiger 800

• Trophy Member  ‐    55
    • Topic Author

Offline BubbleheadSpook

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 03.41 pm
    May 14, 2018, 03.41 pm
    *Originally Posted by ikkieman [+]
    :460: I agree with silverstripes. Just run a new wire. Otherwise, you'd have to unwrap the whole wiring loom. That takes a whole lot of time.

That is my initial thought as well.  But I need to trace the loom and see if there is anything obvious I can fix first.  If not, then I'll need pull a new wire and tape it to the loom so it is not loose or by itself.

Sean...
    2013 Trophy SE
    2013 Tiger 800