Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Brake Service, Copperslip or not?  (Read 3700 times)

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1306
    • Topic Author

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Brake Service, Copperslip or not?
    on: May 16, 2018, 09.20 am
    May 16, 2018, 09.20 am
    My front brakes were very dirty when I had a new tyre fitted last week, we could not get the brakes off the disc as they were seized and we could not retract the pistons.  In the past, I have always lubricated the springs, pins and pad backs with copperslip but now I'm wondering if this high-temperature lubricant attracted all the crud that seized them?

Do you or not use Copperslip or some other preparatory lubricant?

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Re: Brake Service, Copperslip or not?
    Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09.50 am
    May 16, 2018, 09.50 am
    Dave

Used to use copperslip but it attracted all the brake dust and road dirt, crud basically.

Use nothing now and all seems well. I just wash calipers each time I was the bike and hose down, All staying much cleaner now  :169:
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline RocketSteve   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    601

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
    • City / Town: Bideford
    Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11.50 am
    May 16, 2018, 11.50 am
    I may be wrong but the only place I apply a thin smear of Copperslip is where the shims normally contact the back of each brake pad and pad retaining pins. It never migrates anywhere else.

No shims on these bikes - I hear you say. :001:
    To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

• Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 12.09 pm
    May 16, 2018, 12.09 pm
    Only ever on slide pins and similar if present. Never anywhere external. When using it, less is more!
    2013 Trophy SE
    2012 Tiger 1050 SE
    2013 R1200GS
    2006 CBR1100XX

• Topic Author

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01.51 pm
    May 16, 2018, 01.51 pm
    Thanks for the responses.

Dave

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
    Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 08.13 am
    May 17, 2018, 08.13 am
    I have always used copper grease on all sliding surfaces, the pins and the back of the pads. As I’ve mentioned in another post about the benefits or not of using copper grease, I was provided the opportunity of a direct comparison a year ago when, shortly after fitting new pads to the front, I had the right calliper replaced under warranty. When fitting the new calliper, the dealer also replaced the EBC pads that I had fitted, and used no lubricant of any type. After many miles, in all weathers (including on salt encrusted roads through winter), when I next took the pads out (for a thorough clean, knowing the conditions they had been through), the un-lubricated pads needed to be prised out with a screwdriver, whereas the ones I had fitted, despite being quite “crudy” in places, came straight out. There was also noticeable uneven wear in opposing sides of the un-lubricated pads caused by the pads in one side being so gummed up..

My conclusion then, is that some sort of lubricant is of definite benefit, though I have started using a dedicated brake anti-squeal type lubricant rather than copper grease due to concerns about the copper type promoting dissimilar-metal corrosion.
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
    History (best of):
    KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

• Topic Author

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 03.55 pm
    May 17, 2018, 03.55 pm
    *Originally Posted by ShaunDW [+]
    I have always used copper grease on all sliding surfaces, the pins and the back of the pads. As I’ve mentioned in another post about the benefits or not of using copper grease, I was provided the opportunity of a direct comparison a year ago when, shortly after fitting new pads to the front, I had the right calliper replaced under warranty. When fitting the new calliper, the dealer also replaced the EBC pads that I had fitted, and used no lubricant of any type. After many miles, in all weathers (including on salt encrusted roads through winter), when I next took the pads out (for a thorough clean, knowing the conditions they had been through), the un-lubricated pads needed to be prised out with a screwdriver, whereas the ones I had fitted, despite being quite “crudy” in places, came straight out. There was also noticeable uneven wear in opposing sides of the un-lubricated pads caused by the pads in one side being so gummed up..

My conclusion then, is that some sort of lubricant is of definite benefit, though I have started using a dedicated brake anti-squeal type lubricant rather than copper grease due to concerns about the copper type promoting dissimilar-metal corrosion.

Now that's the sort of real World experience which I consider to be of great benefit, thanks for sharing.

I'm lubricated!

Love, light,and kindness

Dave

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09.16 pm
    May 17, 2018, 09.16 pm
    I use red brake grease.  Not sure what it is really called next time on the garage i will read it.  But it is suppose to be the proper stuff.  I use it on pins and backs of pads on the sprint i use it round the pistons as they tend to sieze up.

tweedy-bunch