Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Brake Service, Copperslip or not?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Service, Copperslip or not?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »
I agree that something needs to be used, to keep the edges of the pads and pins free, use nothing and they will bind eventually. I've used cooper slip for years, just tried using this stuff a few weeks ago funny enough, so far so good.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/maintenance-fluids-and-greases/grease/?526770250&0&cc5_150

Offline perfsthepiper

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE 14
  • City / Town: Singapore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »
I have purchased the service manual and it is clearly written in there that no mineral based grease is to be used on breaking system. Therefore I am now using the petroleum base silicon grease  and it works very well. No more squeaky sound. For more uneven wearing of pads, try to make sure your babies are freely floating from time to time.  Cheers.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »
For the avoidance of any doubt, and for clarity, The Service Manual actually says :

Warning:
Never use Mineral based grease ( such as lithium or copper based grease )
in any area where contact with the braking system hydraulic seals and dust seals is possible. 
Mineral based grease will damage the hydraulic seals and dust seals in the the calipers and master cylinders.
Damage caused by contact with mineral based grease may reduce braking efficiency resulting in an accident.

With regards to installation of Brake Pads, the Service Manual states :

Warning
Do not apply more than a minimum coating of grease to the pad retaining pins.
Excess grease may contaminate the brake pads, hydraulic seals,
and discs causing reduced braking efficiency and an accident.

Lubricate the pad retaining pins using a minimum amount of proprietary high temperature brake grease.

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

tweedy-bunch