Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: failed to start twice after washing  (Read 2605 times)

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
failed to start twice after washing
« on: July 13, 2013, 01:41:02 pm »
i have never been a slave to washing my bikes but have thoroughly cleaned my trophy twice now and both times it has flattened the battery.
Last week i did it and while washing had the ignition on a couple of times, moved the screen up & down a few times and started it after cleaning, then stopped and left it for the morning - next morning it wouldn't start so figured ok 1215 engine lots of torque required, don't do it again.

I washed it again last night with the ignition off, no screen movement etc. Tried to start it this morning and again the battery was flat.
Both times I have jump started it, no problem - a bit of time to recalibrate the suspension, and the screen only works when the bike has been stopped and restarted again, clock requires reset etc.
Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes I use a pressure washer but sensibly....well i think sensibly.
Any ideas?

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: failed to start twice after washing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:47:12 pm »
That is an unusual one.... I too use a pressure washer (sensibly) to wash down my Trophy. I usually have the radio playing over the speakers too while cleaning the bike and as you I have the screen motoroed up so that I can get at all of the underside of the screen and coaming behind the screen.

BUT, I have not had any problem with the bike not starting. Perhaps you are getting water under the battery cover and it is shorting things out and discharging the battery??

I can't think why else it would be discharged fully.

I would take it to the dealer and ask them to check the battery, it may be that you have some dead cells.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »
When i first got mine, bearing in mind it was a 12 month old ex-press bike, i stuck it on an optimate overnight. Battery was fairly flat but the charge did it's job.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:35:00 pm »
I've ridden through torrential rain storms and never had problems. Not to offend but I've got to think it is the manner in which the bike is being washed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:24:46 pm by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 05:39:24 pm »
i live in scotland so am no stranger to rain myself including several hours of completely torrential rain last saturday afternoon following my first jump start riding round the back of mull, this went on for around 14 hours and my bike was parked out in it - started no problem the following day.....but the battery compartment etc are bone dry when i have washed it. I am sure its something i am doing........just don't know what - maybe i should go back to my old practise of an annual bath!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by chrisb1 [+]
i live in scotland so am no stranger to rain myself including several hours of completely torrential rain last saturday afternoon following my first jump start riding round the back of mull, this went on for around 14 hours and my bike was parked out in it - started no problem the following day.....but the battery compartment etc are bone dry when i have washed it. I am sure its something i am doing........just don't know what - maybe i should go back to my old practise of an annual bath!

Seams like a battry fault to me  :087: :087: Get the dealer to drop test it dude  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.