Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Metzler Marathon ME880 and ME888  (Read 8776 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
Re: Metzler Marathon ME880 and ME888
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2019, 07:16:12 PM »
Another follow-up.

I complained that I lost some of the neutral handling with the 888, but it turns out that my front tire was worn in a much more dire, weirdly profiled way than I thought. I changed it yesterday, ansd having the wheel off the bike for close inspection, that tire is utterly destroyed (the OEM Angel, 6800 miles). I haven't ridden the new Metzeler RoadTec 01 HWM yet, but I will tomorrow, and I think it will be a revelation. I will be sure to post up.

Also just to reiterate, the rear ME888 is great so far. Excellent dry and wet traction, even at super-legal freeway speeds in hard rain going through the Smokies, even with extreme prejudice (this is why the front tire is so hashed) through Deal's Gap over and over (and over), etc. the tire is excellent. In fact, I rode through The Gap at night in about 48f temps in the rain once too, asnd 100% traction was maintained, and I do not take it easy in the rain :)

Anyhow, will post up about the steering characteristics when I ride tomorrow and over the weekend.

One note regarding the thread...for folks who happen along, it is important to note that while the Thread is titled w/ ME880 in there, that is a long outdated tire that was never all that great IMO. The tire I'm talking about is the much MUCH improved ME888, which is the one currently available for our Trophies.

Offline Trophy Moderator

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2019, 07:19:59 PM »
Topic Title edited from "Metzler Marathon ME880" to
"Metzler Marathon ME880 and ME888" to assit with future Forum searches.

Trophy Moderator

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
I rode about 1000 miles this weekend on the 888 rear with a newly installed Roadtec 01 HWM front, and the bike is back to its sublime self. I have to attribute my previous impressions to my worn front tire, even though at the time I didn't think it was worn enough to be a problem. In any case, this combo has perfectly neutral steering, and excellent dry and wet grip. And, when I say 'neutral' I mean that you can literally set your lean angle and let go of the bars...did this several times.

After this weekends' riding I can't imagine bothering to try any other tire setup than the 200/55-R17 ME888 on the rear and the Roadtec 01 HWM 120/70-R17 on the front. I say that because my criteria are durability, traction, and handling characteristics. For durability, the ME888 is the undisputed champion. For the front, time will tell; this is the one obvious area where the jury is out because I need to wear one out to see how far it will go.  For traction, I spent a not inconsiderable amount of time with footpegs-on-pavement, and even touched what I think was the center stand foot (I have to look) a couple times. I also rode through Deal's Gap on Thursday night in a steady rain, with no problems at all.

And for neutral handling; I may have had a more perfectly balanced steering feel on a bike in the past, but I can't remember any better. Really, I can't think of how it would be possible to be better - it's literally perfectly neutral now with this front tire. I will say that steering effort, while still light and well within my acceptable parameters, the OEM Angels had even lighter steering effort when they were new. Traction was also great on the Angels, but durability is where they failed IMO. The rear made it a little over 5,500 miles (not terrible) and the front didn't go much farther. Well, in literal terms, the front was changed at 6900 miles, but it was really in need 1000 miles before that. I would say that it lasted 6,000 miles.

Now these mileage numbers aren't terrible when compared to a sporty/touring riding mission. But for me, the Trophy is a touring bike, plain and simple. I want mileage, and a lot of it, out of my tires. To this end, I am willing to compromise on performance to a degree. Luckily for me, this is not necessary; the ME888/Roadec 01 HWM really seem to be having my cake and eating it too. So far.

I will circle back with durability updates as the season wears on.

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »
Well,

For me I was interested in these tyres. I had to book the old girl in for a major service which included valve clearances etc, plus TPMS replacement. So given I hated the PR4s, I was going to fit these tyres.

The dealer panned the idea stating that the profile of the Metzeler touring tyres did not suit the bike and assuring me I would not like riding the bike with them on. Caving to peer pressure I have gone back to the Angel GT “A” spec this go around. They are a dramatic improvement over PR4s, but of course, all new tyres feel good. I will wait for the dreaded second half of the tyre life and see how I go.

Cheers for the earlier advice.
2013 Trophy SE
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by teef.au [+]
Well,

For me I was interested in these tyres. I had to book the old girl in for a major service which included valve clearances etc, plus TPMS replacement. So given I hated the PR4s, I was going to fit these tyres.

The dealer panned the idea stating that the profile of the Metzeler touring tyres did not suit the bike and assuring me I would not like riding the bike with them on. Caving to peer pressure I have gone back to the Angel GT “A” spec this go around. They are a dramatic improvement over PR4s, but of course, all new tyres feel good. I will wait for the dreaded second half of the tyre life and see how I go.

Cheers for the earlier advice.

What eas wrong with the PR4s? Those are awesome tires! The Pirellis are too, but Ibam curious.

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by tdragger [+]
Or, everyone with a bias against car tires could stand by and let the OP answer the question then the topic would be over rather than taking up a whole page of distracting arguments over car tires

Did I miss answering a question? I haven't look for a handful of days and may have.
Year round rider here!

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 03:08:10 PM »
And 'outdated' or not, so far I am quite thrilled with the 880. It is date coded late 2017, so it will easily wear out before it gets old. Perhaps I will get the 888 next time.

Before I went to a CT on the Goldwing I ran the E3's and managed 16k out of that rear, and I rode it like a sport bike in the Twisties (as far as lean angles- regularly just touched pegs and my boot edges were beveled from the pavement). Not sure if they make the new iteration (the E4) in this size though. At work so can't look.
Year round rider here!

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 05:03:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by dietDrThunder [+]
What eas wrong with the PR4s? Those are awesome tires! The Pirellis are too, but Ibam curious.

As a concept I wouldn't use anything but a steel belt radial on a bike as heavy as the Trophy. I nicknamed her Bertha for a reason. However it had PR4s on it when I got it so I thought I would beat them to death.

I didn't get far, the bike was very nervous. Different things would happen at different angles of lean. Initially I thought my bike had tons of "character". When I replaced them with the Angel GTs it felt an order of magnitude better. It pains me to say that because I am not a fan of Angel GTs. Also the PR4s were great on my last 1050 Tiger, I really liked them.

One point for me to make on my personal journey is that I frequently haven't liked the tyres on a bike when I bought it. I find whenever I buy a bike, new tyres quickly get to the top of the list. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway that's my journey and I'm a happy Trophy rider these days  :152:
2013 Trophy SE
2012 Tiger 1050 SE