Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How do you mount your pillion?  (Read 6752 times)

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
How do you mount your pillion?
« on: July 13, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
My partner rider has trouble getting up on the pillion. She is only 4'11". What method do you use to mount and dismount? sit on seat side saddle and swing a leg over the tank? stand on foot peg and swing over the trunk? either way it seems very awkward for her, and me if she is already seated. Or should i get on first?
Don't have this problem on the Norton or BSA.

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
Re: How do you mount your pillion?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »
I am on the bike first in case it falls. I have the bike running but not in gear, holding the front brake, side stand down in case she pulls me over (only has happened once). The bike is upright as the wife places her left foot on the peg, left hand on my shoulder, right hand on the trunk. She then steps forward and up. Her right foot passes over the saddle between me and the trunk. We both sit down. I lift the side stand and put the bike in gear and away we go.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
Same here. I get on and start it up. Front brake on and in first gear. Sarah places left foot of the nearside peg, right knee on seat, hands on my shoulders, up and leg over. Simples.......................
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by nert [+]
My partner rider has trouble getting up on the pillion. She is only 4'11". What method do you use to mount and dismount? sit on seat side saddle and swing a leg over the tank? stand on foot peg and swing over the trunk? either way it seems very awkward for her, and me if she is already seated. Or should i get on first?
Don't have this problem on the Norton or BSA.

My wife uses my left hand foot peg with her left leg and swings her right leg over the seat behind me, hands on my shoulders. Reverse for dismount. Easy peasy. :152:

Offline loads of miles

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Silver
  • City / Town: Welwyn Garden City
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
I always get on first ,balance the bike engine on normally but NEVER in gear .The trouble and strife get on the left foot rest leg over and sits  gloves on and away .Not sure how you could let her get on first .I do depending on the surface someimes have the side stand down ie gravel /camber  etc but if its flat tyremac then no need for side stand .Once on with the top box to lean against she doesnt need to have a break before I do ...
Loads of miles

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:24 PM »
Seems like you are all pretty much doing the same thing with out issue. I will try it that way. I will spend a few moments in the driveway practicing mount and dismounts.

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
How you mount your pillion sounds a bit personal to me :046:

Offline Glenn

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisbech, Cambs
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Desertaire [+]
I am on the bike first in case it falls. I have the bike running but not in gear, holding the front brake, side stand down in case she pulls me over (only has happened once). The bike is upright as the wife places her left foot on the peg, left hand on my shoulder, right hand on the trunk. She then steps forward and up. Her right foot passes over the saddle between me and the trunk. We both sit down. I lift the side stand and put the bike in gear and away we go.
same same

tweedy-bunch