Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Headlights flickering on idle  (Read 3629 times)

Online 1675

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
Re: Headlights flickering on idle
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
Yes, original battery and 65k miles. But you've said it now!!!
Not used through winter, but kept on an optimate.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 04:15:46 PM »
Lol, I use an optimate too, I'd expect 5 years at a minimum too.

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 09:36:15 PM »
Someone on the Facebook Triumph Trophy group said, that the low voltage display could also be associated with the Tyre pressure sensor batteries, is this right, I haven't looked at my bike today to see if it's still displayed when I first turn it on.   
Paul Wilko

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 10:28:45 PM »
Can't see any link between low voltage and tpms battery low voltage they are different batteries. Obviously the display is run off the main battery but the tpms will send a voltage reading message within the communication protocol.   Not sure who decides it is low.  The tpms could send a low voltage message or the bike could look at a real voltage reading message and decide it is too low.   If it was the latter it would be easy to reprogram so probably the tpms makes the decision.

As said mine have been saying low voltage for around 2 years now and the pressures are stil shown correctly.

Offline thumper

• Trophy Pro
  • Naty von Ozirisz 1997-2011
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: So Cal
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Phil [+]
I have a slightly different headlight issue.   I have noticed on the last couple of time I have used the bike that the headlight stays on for a few seconds after I have turned the ignition off.  I can't remember if this has always been the case and I just did not notice before.   I use the key to turn off the ignition.   Anyone else seen this. 

Phill R

That's a new quirk.    Of all the bikes I've owned, including four Triumph's, everything shuts down immediately upon turning off the key. 

:084:
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander

Online 1675

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 11:46:12 PM »
There are two different messages which could be displayed in relation to low battery voltage. One is for low TPMS (front or rear) and one for the motorcycle battery. Both are very clear and different from each other. Both are detailed in the handbook.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 09:20:22 AM »
The fact that I get the 'low battery tyre message' only when it's cold yet can get the 'low bike battery message' 12 months of the year makes me think that they are separate.

It's got to be a 'software glitch' with both, surely I'd have experienced other signs during the past 2 years or so,....engine starts on the button every time for example.

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 09:19:33 AM »
Well - a bit of an update on this.

Last Friday I dropped in and picked up a brand new Deka battery. I immediately took the bike away for the weekend, so although it doesn’t rest on a charger, it did get a really good run.

Sad to say this has made no difference whatsoever to the flickering headlight problem. The problem slowly continues to worsen. Whereas anything above idle used to correct the problem, now it takes a full 1600rpm before it goes away.

Battery terminals were pristine.  :112:  :027:
2013 Trophy SE
2015 Tiger Explorer
2012 650 V-Strom
2005 CBR1100XX Blackbird

tweedy-bunch