Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Headlights flickering on idle  (Read 4553 times)

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gouda
Re: Headlights flickering on idle
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 06:17:22 AM »
Well, I still have two months left on warranty, so I think I'll let them spend the money on it.  :150:
If it's not fixed on warranty, I think I'll let it be since there are a few having this quirk and it doesn't seem to hurt anyone.
And since I'll be replacing the halogen bulbs with LED ones in a few months there's no more flickering if I'm not mistaken.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by ikkieman [+]
And since I'll be replacing the halogen bulbs with LED ones in a few months there's no more flickering if I'm not mistaken.

Good idea, considering that a lot of vehicles have plastic headlights rather than glass, reducing heat from bulbs should be the way to go, apart from that, what an awkward job to do, one of mine blew the other day funny enough.

Anyone recommend a particular LED one? What is the light output like compared to the standard H4 bulbs?? 

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gouda
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
I really don't know the specific type, but M@rcel has them in his trophy SE, but it would look like it has double the output of a halogen H4 bulb. For €99 I'll throw it in with the next service.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 07:14:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by ikkieman [+]
I really don't know the specific type, but M@rcel has them in his trophy SE, but it would look like it has double the output of a halogen H4 bulb. For €99 I'll throw it in with the next service.

That seems expensive, I were looking at these ones earlier,....no idea if they are any good or compare to the ones M@rcel has??
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/20w-h4-led-motorcycle-special-led-headlight-bulb-h4-high-low-beam-motorcycle-led-bulb-1pcs_p5978603.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=221_4317%7C487_7683%7C1035_24727&country_code=gb&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=204734054299&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o2&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=3516490533_854884502_44335768256_pla-331089402870&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Jmv_tDq3AIVB7TtCh0R1gC7EAQYAiABEgIpqfD_BwE

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
Just FYI, most LED replacement bulbs have their emitter way too far away from the reflector. You don't really notice it because when you see the lights at night it appears as if everything is lit up nicely, but if you take it to a place where you can let the light shine down the road a few hundred feet, as well as up (e.g. some tall trees to the side), you'll see you're mostly lighting up the sky  and the lack of focus due to the misplacement of the emitter means you can't see as far down the road as with the stock halogen bulbs.

There ARE bulbs available that work, but they're hard to come by and a bit of experimentation is usually in order (I have two sets, one for my F150 and one for my Trophy, based on research by a gentleman on the K1600 forum in which he spent multiple hundreds of dollars finding the right combination of power, color temperature, and diode placement, but the Chinese manufacturer has disappeared from eBay), which, given the somewhat difficult placement of the bulbs inside the front end of our bike, means hardly anyone has the time or inclination to figure it out. You're almost better off just getting some Sylvania Silverstar bulbs -- at least you know the light will be thrown in the right pattern.

Also, if your lights are flickering and think changing to LED's will help, I really doubt it. More than likely the LED's won't even light/stay lit.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Honda CBR1000RR (for sale)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »
Looking at the placement of the actual LED's on that bulb in my link did make me wonder about the beam pattern and whether or not the electrical height adjustment feature on the Trophy would result in the same beam height range has with a 'normal' bulb. 

Offline AVI.INC

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hawthorne CA.
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2018, 01:17:55 AM »
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_192.html

Works great easy install no hot spotting. :152:
P.S. no flicker
I must be going too fast for too long evey time i get back i'm younger!!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2018, 06:22:29 AM »
Before buying any LED Headlamp bulb,
I would recommend reading this article,
by a Bulb Retailer : Are LED Headlight Bulbs the Brightest ?

In the UK, there's also the question of Legality  :012:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 make no mention
of LED Headlamp bulbs, so they would not be legal under that Legislation.

However, if the Bulbs are “e” approved ( a European type approval ),
then they are legal in the UK.  If they are not “e” approved,
then they are not legal for use in the UK and could
result in a Fine or MOT Test failure.
( Or worse if non-approved Bulbs caused dazzling of
another motorist  who crashed as a result ! )

As I understand it, the actual Headlamp unit must also be
“e” approved for the type of bulb used in it  :087:

Summary : I'll be sticking with Osram Nightbreaker Laser Bulbs for now !  :169:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

tweedy-bunch