Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Guide for gear lever strip down?  (Read 4721 times)

Offline simbad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cardiff
Re: Guide for gear lever strip down?
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice ...

Picked up a spare bolt today - but not sure I want to disturb the one that's in there after reading all the different threads and risk it snapping off and hassle of replacing (at least I'd have the tools)

Little chance of road side repair due to drilling out etc. but I'd have the spare to hand?

Hmm .. decisions. :087:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
All I would say is that the gear change greatly improves after a good lube?  For some reason that bolt gets very dry.  I can now tell when the bolt needs lubing from the gear change and then strip it down and pack with grease.  Some have talked about a new design of bolt but still dries out and some even installing a grease nipple but not sure if anyone has.  Also to get at it you would need to strip off the side panel anyway.  As said I have replaced it with a bolt through the middle so have no real issue of breaking the bolt (I hope).

Offline simbad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cardiff
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:10:50 PM »
I saw that mod - looked like an effective fix.  Did you use a pillar drill to get the hole nice and centred?
I note that you found the metal was pretty soft.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:15:41 PM by simbad »

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 04:34:31 PM »
I wonder if an Oilite type self lubing bronze bushing the right size and standard high strength bolt through it with a felt washer each side to keep dirt out wouldn't work, rather than this shoulder bolt arrangement.  I'm sure there is someone here that can tell me if that is a misguided approach and why.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 05:46:07 PM »
Mark this day, as the first time I have ever disagreed with Coconut!   :005:

Having read many posts on this forum of the brake and gear shift bolts breaking and the difficulty in removing the broken part, I have taken the position that these are life limited parts.  In aviation we change life limited parts well before failure because failure is costly.

Although we do not have any stories of injury caused by this failure, if it occurs on the road, away from competent mechanics, you will be stuck with the problems associated with moving the bike to the mechanic, the cost of housing while you wait for it to be fixed, and the cost of a mechanic who has you over a barrel.

All that said, if the bolt breaks while you are trying to remove it and replace it, count yourself lucky as it was probably about to break while riding.  You now have the opportunity to fix with your own tools, or mechanic.

These bolts are cheap, replace (and grease) both bolts every oil change, the two cost less than an oil filter.

Just my thoughts,  :821:

ZShyster

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »
ZShyster,

PLEASE DO disagree with me ! - I have never said I'm always right ( Just quite often !  :153: )

But where's the disagreement  here ? !  :027:

I agree with everything you said ! 

( Isn't it amazing -  when you consider how comparatively few fatalities there are in Aviation due to
Parts failing, that critical motor vehicle components are not similarly Life Limited ? )

It's always difficult to offer advice based on limited knowledge of a Post without ALL of the information,
such as how long it is until the proposed trip, what tools are available, what the maintenance skills are
of the person asking for help etc etc, so I always try and offer what I consider to be reasonable advice
taking into account what IS known at the time.

In this case my advice started with the word "Consider" - i.e. "Have a think about this first !"

I could have said - "Get on and change the bolt before you go" but if this had been attempted
and the bolt had sheared off while doing so ( as has happened ) shortly the long trip was due,
and there were no tools available to remove the broken stud, or there was a lack of knowledge
and competence to do so, then the trip could have been ruined before it had started, so as well as
explaining how to do the job, I also suggested leaving it, and taking spare bolts as a "Back Up".

Any advice I give is always offered with the best of intentions, and if I find I have made a mistake
( because no-one is perfect and everyone DOES make mistakes )  I will always own up to it.
( I've been "CRM" Trained too  :038: )

This is also an ideal opportunity to remind anyone reading this, that if they are faced with having to
drill out their broken bolt stud, UK Forum Member 1675 has made a Jig to accurately position the drill,
and has kindly offered to lend this to anyone that covers the Postage cost  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
Yes I used a pillar drill the allen key hole was a good start guide but the thread was already left in the frame!  So I then drilled the stud out and helicoiled the hole.  I then used a better quality bolt (also no shoulder ok there is one under the head of the bolt) through the top hat that was left so the bearing surface and length were exactly the same .

Thread lock the helicoil in but then it is similar metals bolt to helicoil.  I have then taken it to bits to grease about 4 times.  I also bought a couple of new pivots but not course have never used them.

Offline 1675

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 08:50:30 AM »
Just to concur with Coconuts post. I have a drill jig which bolts to the Trophy frame and guides the drill into the centre of the broken bolt. Takes about 5 minutes once access is gained to the broken part. Available for postage both ways