Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Greetings from Farmington Hills/ Seat Height Concerns  (Read 3939 times)

• Offline lenshead1

• Trophy Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline lenshead1

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: FARMINGTN HLS
    Greetings from Farmington Hills/ Seat Height Concerns
    on: May 30, 2018, 04.54 pm
    May 30, 2018, 04.54 pm
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm a photography studio owner and an owner of two Triumph Motorcycles: 2013 Trophy SE and 2001 Triumph Sprint ST. I love them both! In years past I've owned two BSA Thunderbolts, One Norton 850 Commando, Moto Guzzi 850T, Moto Guzzi Lemans CX1000 and a BMW R1150R. The Trophy is by far the most sophisticated machine I've ever owned, and by far the most sorted shaft drive bike I've ever experienced. I'm a fit and relatively athletic 5'8", but the bike still feels a bit too tall and heavy for me. My wife loves it for it's smooth ride, and so do I. Once it's rolling, I ride it with confidence. It's in parking lots where I'm nervous. I've got the seat adjusted as low as it can go, but I'm still on the balls of my feet. The front brake feels like I have a warped rotor, so maneuvering at low speeds is tricky. Any suggestions? Thanks Everyone! I suggest enjoying a Bell's Oberon at an outdoor cafe on a sunny summer day. Cheers! :046:

• Offline Stelyn   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    931

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
    Re: Greetings from Farmington Hills/ Seat Height Concerns
    Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 05.24 pm
    May 30, 2018, 05.24 pm
    Welcome aboard lenshead1,  :400:  enjoy the Forum, you can search for  a`Lust' lowering links /  kit or similar using the search facility........ :821:
    Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05.29 pm by Stelyn
    `Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10135

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06.08 pm
    May 30, 2018, 06.08 pm
    Hi lenshead1 and :400: to the Club !

Front disc brakes "pulsing" seems to be a fairly regular thing on this Bike.

The Twin discs are "Semi-Floating" on "Bobbins" and it is important to keep them free -
    if they seize up the discs can run out of true giving the impression they are warped when they are not.

Using Brake Cleaner Spray and either a suitable sized bolt, washers and nut to clamp each of the Bobbins,
    or a suitable tapered screw extractor tool inserted into the Bobbin hole, you can attach a Battery powered
    drill and spin the Bobbins to free them up, and clean all the built up crud out of them.

When done you should be able to turn the Bobbins by hand without them actually being "loose".

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 12, 2020, 06.12 pm by Coconut

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 08.24 pm
    May 30, 2018, 08.24 pm
    Hello lenshead1 and welcome to the gang :821:

Yes clean your bobbins as Coconut explained. Also when slow riding do not use the falling off lever  :005:  (front brake). Try to get used to only using the rear. Front transfers the weight and destabilises the bike when riding slow.
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5044

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10.06 pm
    May 30, 2018, 10.06 pm
     :400: to the forum.  Take it out to a school parking lot or a church parking lot when it's empty and just do some slow turns at a comfortable radius turning your head to look into the turn and make the radius smaller and smaller a little at a time until it's more comfortable.  Don't use the front brake, and if need be shift your weight to the outside some to keep the bike a little more straight up while turning slow.  Those parking lots usually have good clean surfaces with little loose gravel and you can gauge the turn radius by lines painted on the pavement.  Learn to be able to make those turns with only very light rear brake pressure to keep the bike under control until you can make the turns without any brake at all, just throttle.  Adding light throttle while turning will try to stand the bike up straighter.  Finally, if you never get all that comfortable with it, install some Lust Racing links to lower it by 20mm in the rear and lower the front end (raise the tubes in the clamps) by 12mm or so and the handling is still pretty much the same.  Mine is set up that way and some others have done a very similar adjustment.  Just so you know, I ride sometimes with an elderly guy like me that is on the very tips of his toes on his BMW GS with his wife on the back and he can handle it very well at low speed.  Patience, my friend and you will get there.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline paddington   es

• Trophy Member  ‐    41

Offline paddington

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: trophy se
    • City / Town: villena
    Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 08.48 am
    May 31, 2018, 08.48 am
    I swapped out the standard seat for a low one. I am the same height as you and I can flat foot no problem, that could be the answer to your problem of the bike feeling tall.

• Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12.10 pm
    May 31, 2018, 12.10 pm
    In my case freeing up the bobbins didnít work for long. The discs were shagged.

Riding it afterwards was just like riding a brand new bike. If you need to, I strongly recommend replacing them. It makes the bike a joy to ride slowly.
    2013 Trophy SE
    2012 Tiger 1050 SE
    2013 R1200GS
    2006 CBR1100XX

• Offline lenshead1

• Trophy Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline lenshead1

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: FARMINGTN HLS
    Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 02.51 pm
    May 31, 2018, 02.51 pm
     :001: Thank you all for your thoughtful and useful replies! I really appreciate them! I'm arranging to have a Soupies lowering kit installed by the Triumph dealer. I bought some great lug soled boots that have thick soles, but most significantly, I will take your suggestion to practice in a parking lot. You're absolutely right: I dumped it in a parking lot in a slow turn by applying front brake, which grabbed suddenly because of the possible warped rotor. Oh yes- I'm getting the brakes sorted too! Thanks again!