4 (66.7%)
October 26th through 29nd.
1 (16.7%)
November 2nd through 5th
0 (0%)
Another Date
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Get Together Texas, New Mexico, & All Others  (Read 3285 times)

Offline mmlanes

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Angelo, TX
Re: Get Together Texas, New Mexico, & All Others
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »
Some of the rides in that area are longer than others.  I usually base out of Alpine.  The ride from there thru Marfa to Presidio, then along 170 and back up 118 to Alpine is about 230 miles.  If you go into Big Bend, take the road to Santa Elena canyon and then back to Alpine via Marathon, it's just over 300 miles.  Of course, you can also ride it in the other direction.  Or base out of somewhere else.

Riding in the park is nice, but may cost an entrance fee.  Also, the ride north out of the park toward Marathon is like 40 mph and heavily patrolled. It can be a little tedious.

The loop ride from Fort Davis past the observatory is scenic but not terribly technically challenging.  As stated, the ride into Ft. Davis from IH-10/Balmorhea is a little short but a lot of fun.

Lots of options.

Sparcity (yes, that's a word now) of traffic was always something I enjoyed on these rides.  If we need to change dates, I am open.

Cheers!
Twisted Trophies Charter Member

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 03:11:12 AM »
Our first stop could be Fort Davis.
I called Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis they have rooms with two queen size beds rooms $130 with one queen size bed $115 and a mini suite $145, 800-662-5517.
Or we could go to Alpine prices are about the same for Hotels.
Or we could stay in Big Bend Park at Rio Grand Village they have showers just bring quarters.
There is a restaurant in the Basin if you don't want to cook or bring the cooking gear for one night.

I thing our second stop could be Presidio at the Three Plams Inn the phone # is 432-229-3211.
I have stayed there before with another group and they have a restaurant also.

Houston is just over 600 miles away Dallas is just over 933 kilometers to the Big Bend Park.

IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline Jughead

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE
  • City / Town: Allen, TX
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »
This sounds very appetizing TT’s!  Even the Mrs says Big Bend in October sounds wonderful!  Not sure if she would be up to 500 miles per day though.  Could be nice to have a chase vehicle. 
I’ll have to check with the job though.  Being a “new” employee I have to check my PTO accrual.  The weekend before or after is actually better for me as I work a 9/80 schedule.  But I am good with what ever is agreed upon!
Another one of the founding members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
Jughead
I understand the time off thing.
We are having a hard time Hiring people and then keeping them we have been shorthand for a while, so I’m filling in a lot it makes for long days.

The first day looks like it would be the longest and then Sunday we could say would be our last as a group or start the ride back as a group and then we can use Monday as the extra day getting home that way we  can brake the ride up some.
I’m thinking that the second day should be less miles done so we can enjoy ourselves.
What does everyone think?
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline mmlanes

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: San Angelo, TX
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »
It all sounds good to me.  Given where I am, my ride to the area is half what you other guys will have to be doing.  So I am flexible as to how it is set up.

Where we stay is also immaterial to me.  My only requirement is that 170, the river road, is part of the plan. Riding that far and not doing the river road would be a waste.

BTW, Ride Texas magazine did an article several years ago about river road rides in Texas and covered 170.  Another informal survey I saw several years ago rated 170 high nationally.

If you haven't done it, it's worth the trip.
Twisted Trophies Charter Member

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »
I'm with Jughead about possibly moving the date, because the week before or two weeks after would be easier to get places to stay since the (more than one) Chili Cookoffs run from October 31 thru November 4.  I'll go with whatever works for everyone else though, since I'm retired and more flexible.  I think our second day should be a little less tiring if we are leaving the day after to ride home.  My trip getting there and back is just a 1 day thing, and my wife is going so there will be a chase vehicle for anyone that isn't up to ride pillion for that far, but can make it to New Braunfels or I-10 in the San Antonio area or west of there.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline nb101

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Houston, Texas
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »
I'm OK with doing it the week before  :028:

Offline FunkyMcNasty

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy
  • City / Town: Spring Branch, TX
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 04:08:20 AM »
Thank you 2slowTrophy for reaching out. I love that area of Texas, have been on & off-road, and am interested. We’ve stayed in terlingua at the https://www.bigbendresort.com/motor-inn-guest-rooms. It’s sure not fancy, but the location is central to most of the best riding and it’s better than camping.