Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Annoying fuel filler deflector  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Hoovooloo

• Trophy Member
  • Night Fury
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crestwood, IL
Re: Annoying fuel filler deflector
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 05:57:38 PM »
Coconut...  A lot of the pumps, here in the colonies, no longer have the vapor recovery boots.  I don't know why they are no longer using them, but I'm glad they're gone.  They were a major PIA.
Previous Bike: 09 Bonneville SE
                    13 HD ElectraGlide Ultra Limited Anniv.

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
Looks like the EPA phased out their required use about 6 years ago.  I don't recall seeing them in Florida so I wouldn't have noticed their demise.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/politics/epa-gas-pump-handles/index.html

If you're still seeing them, perhaps some states picked up the requirement or they're working off their stock.
IBA #69644

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 10:22:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by brenchley [+]
Looks like the EPA phased out their required use about 6 years ago.  I don't recall seeing them in Florida so I wouldn't have noticed their demise.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/politics/epa-gas-pump-handles/index.html

If you're still seeing them, perhaps some states picked up the requirement or they're working off their stock.

IIRC, they're still mandated in CA. Every time I go there, I have to play games with the stupid vapor recovery garbage. I usually end up smelling like gasoline any day I'm on bike in CA.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Honda CBR1000RR (for sale)

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 01:03:19 AM »
Coconut, hasn't caused me any grief in all the fills since I removed it. Just quicker fuel ups and not with the blasted blow back as prior to removal. :821: :158:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 03:57:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by dietDrThunder [+]
It has to go. Any advice re: getting it outta there? Worst design ever.

I wanted to come back to this, because I was completely wrong. The design is brilliant, and the operator was the whole problem. It works astonishingly well, and all you have to do is trust it. Just stick the filler right straight onto that thing that's in the way. Don't try to hover it, or tilt it, or angle it. Just jam it in there, and hold it so that it's perpendicular to the cap opening. It's not at all intuitive; it seems like fuel will go everywhere. It doesn't.

Don't mess with it or cut it out; just take a minute to learn to use it. You'll be glad you did.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 07:41:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by dietDrThunder [+]
I wanted to come back to this, because I was completely wrong. The design is brilliant, and the operator was the whole problem. It works astonishingly well, and all you have to do is trust it. Just stick the filler right straight onto that thing that's in the way. Don't try to hover it, or tilt it, or angle it. Just jam it in there, and hold it so that it's perpendicular to the cap opening. It's not at all intuitive; it seems like fuel will go everywhere. It doesn't.

Don't mess with it or cut it out; just take a minute to learn to use it. You'll be glad you did.

I had come to that conclusion myself some time ago, I had planned on removing it, never got around to it, now I've got use to the correct way of holding the nozzle etc, I'll keep it the way it is.