Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Vibration or buzzing  (Read 526 times)

Offline Pits

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophyse
  • City / Town: Gardiner
Vibration or buzzing
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and if they know a fix. I now have about 3500 miles on my Trophy. Somewhere just shy of 3000 miles it developed a buzz at about 2800-3000 rpm in 6th gear. Anybody else have this annoying little chatter?

Online GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1215
  • City / Town: Strathaven
Re: Vibration or buzzing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
Been there got that... :169:

I went for grip puppies, help a bit, still get a few tingles after a long run

Offline Pits

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »
Its not really coming through the grips, it is more of a vibration in the plastic somewhere around the front end, like the speaker area, gauge area or maybe down by the battery area. 

Online GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:57 PM »
I don't get that, generally find the bodywork and dash pretty stable, apart from my Garmin sat nav which bounces about. There are a lot of vibes from the engine, sounds like you have something loose in the bodywork thats resonating.... I've had the battery and the dash out on mine, can't think of anything in particular around that area that would come loose.... might be worth spending an hour with an allen key, you don't mention what age your is, but if its had a new battery, is it the original one or a smaller one, some of the smaller batteries come with packing to make it a snug fit in the battery box.

Offline Pits

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »
it is a 2017 so the battery is new. I think to make matters worse or better depending on how you look at it, it is an intermittent problem. Yesterday I took it out for a short ride to the store and back, maybe 30 miles and it did not do it. I do agree about going around with an allen wrench and checking things. That is a good idea. Thanks.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 11:47:08 PM »
Factory standard height windshield, or high touring screen or some other after market?  I would check the fasteners on the windshield for sure, but don't overtighten them, just check to see if any are loose.  Overtightening could lead to a crack originating at one of the holes in the shield.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pits [+]
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and if they know a fix. I now have about 3500 miles on my Trophy. Somewhere just shy of 3000 miles it developed a buzz at about 2800-3000 rpm in 6th gear. Anybody else have this annoying little chatter?

I find that RPM range in 6th gear to be lugging the engine. Dial it up to 3,500 RPM or drop a gear would be my recommendation.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Honda CBR1000RR (for sale)

Online GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
Sixth gear is a tall gear, I avoid it unless Im on the motorway, legal speeds are easily achievable in 5th, and the throttle response is a lot better... but I have trundled along in 6th with no buzz from bodywork..... something's not quite right.... is it out of warranty?