Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Without a TTSE  (Read 6603 times)

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692
    • Topic Author

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Without a TTSE
    on: Jun 20, 2018, 02.00 am
    Jun 20, 2018, 02.00 am
    On May 19 I crashed my TTSE. I was riding in a group, fifth in line. Leads to inattention. I was tired, hadn't slept well the night before. We were traveling slowly on a curvy road when I went slightly wide and hit some thick gravel. I low sided. The bike slid into a guard rail. I'm told that it went over the handle bars. I skidded (feet first) in the grass and loose gravel and went under the guard rail. Most of my weight was on my left forearm/hand and on my right knee. The hand and knee were bruised and I got road rash the size of a quarter (two pence piece) on my left elbow. I was/am fine. As a precaution they did a CT scan of my brain to look for evidence of a concussion. The didn't find a thing (take that however you want).

The bike is a mess. Total loss, but it still isn't settled 31 days after the claim was filed. I'll be dropping State Farm for motorcycle insurance because their apparent incompetence. Yesterday they offered me $6400 for the loss. I was outraged and have appealed. I'll let you know.

Now there are decisions to be made. Another TTSE? All my friends know exactly what I need and why. Mostly they think I should get the same bike they have. For now the T120 will be the only bike.

My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline thumper

• Trophy Pro  ‐    139

Offline thumper

• Trophy Pro
    • Naty von Ozirisz 1997-2011
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: So Cal
    Re: Without a TTSE
    Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2018, 02.23 am
    Jun 20, 2018, 02.23 am
    If you liked the amenities of the TTSE, there are new ones on showroom floors for ridiculously low prices.   

Here in CA, a couple months ago I saw 4 @ Bert's Mega Mall, all listed at $12,999 + fees.     I'd guess that's OTD for about half the price of a similarly equipped BMW.    :033:

Heal up, and let us know your final decision.       :821:
    ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander

• Offline Stoney   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    819

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
    • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
    Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06.27 am
    Jun 20, 2018, 06.27 am
    Yeah, go ahead and get another Trophy.  I'm on #2, as I got a deal on a 2017 that I couldn't turn down last September.  Nothing wrong with my '13, but I figured without new version coming out, and 53K on the odometer, I'd be riding one for several years longer this way.  Still have the old girl, and haven't yet decided if I should sell it, or keep it as a backup, and to keep the mileage down on the new one.  Just got back from a week in the Rockies - can't imagine a better bike for the trip.  Ran into a couple guys from Germany, and three from Italy (riding rented R1200RTs) while resting at the top of Independence Pass, and they were all very impressed with the TT.  Good luck with your decision!
    :028:
    STONEY

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2018, 11.26 am
    Jun 20, 2018, 11.26 am
    Hi BludyL,

Sorry to hear of this - I can empathise with having done much the same a few years back
    on my first Trophy SE, albeit at a higher speed, and walked away with no injuries to speak of.

I'm really pleased to hear you are OK  :028:

It took me over 3 years to get another Trophy, and get on it - partly due to loss of confidence
    ( which I now have back, thanks in no small part to an Advanced Rider Course I'm doing ),
    and partly because the Insurance premiums after 3 years from them paying out a big hit<
    became more affordable !

Hope to hear a positive outcome for you with your negotiating !

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 12, 2020, 05.46 pm by Coconut

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2018, 12.35 pm
    Jun 20, 2018, 12.35 pm
    Glad to hear it only cost you a bike.

ZShyster

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2018, 12.50 pm
    Jun 20, 2018, 12.50 pm
    Glad to read that you weren't seriously injured as we take longer to heal the older we get.  State Farm:  My only serious bike accident was back in 1973.  Concussion and bruises, nothing broken - a testament to my youth.  Accident happened in January, was back on a bike by the summer - moved up from a Yamaha DS6-B to a Honda CB350 K5.  State Farm paid out quickly as I remember.

State Farm still carries my homeowners, auto (3) and motorcycle (2) insurance; about $5k per year - waiting to hear how well they take care of you in this instance.  Involved in a single car accident back in 2011; State Farm paid out quickly and was quite helpful but my auto coverage went up by 62% for 2-3 years as I was placed into the 'Safe Driver'(?) program.  Had been experiencing slight premium reductions every year due to longevity and good driving record up to this point. 

The NC legislature passed some sort of law around this time period that allowed auto-bike insurers to 'recoup losses'(?) on a more expedited basis, meaning most of us now see rate increases every six months whether we have a mark against our record or not.  We suspect this came about due to the substantial increase in uninsured motorists on NC roads in recent years, many of whom don't speak any english.  I checked around and State Farm is still giving the best rates overall so I'm going to stick with them for the time being.
    Last Edit: Jun 20, 2018, 12.54 pm by SprintST1050

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2018, 01.40 pm
    Jun 20, 2018, 01.40 pm
    Glad you're OK, and hope you work out a good solution on the settlement.  The only thing I know of in the same class right now that is comparably equipped to the Trophy is the R1200RT with Dynamic Suspension, which is priced at almost twice what you would pay for a new Trophy.  :110:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692
    • Topic Author

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2018, 02.56 pm
    Jun 20, 2018, 02.56 pm
    We have had two auto claims with SF in the last year. Both times there were dents in my wife's Mini that we noticed not knowing when they happened. I assume someone backed into her fender in a parking lot. How is anyone supposed to see one of them.  :745:

State Farm was great and the vehicle was repaired in 10 days to two weeks.

About five days after the crash SF called me to see if I had my motorcycle. They didn't know where it was. They don't do their own estimates for motorcycles, they hire someone. I'm sure that complicated the process. Every time I talked to a claims person it was obvious they didn't know anything about motorcycles.

Last fall my son had a crash and his Bonneville SE was a total loss. Progressive had a check in his hand within 5 or 6 days. Furthermore the amount was smack on for the retail value of the bike.

I'll keep my homeowners and auto with SF but not the motorcycle.

*Originally Posted by SprintST1050 [+]
    Glad to read that you weren't seriously injured as we take longer to heal the older we get.  State Farm:  My only serious bike accident was back in 1973.  Concussion and bruises, nothing broken - a testament to my youth.  Accident happened in January, was back on a bike by the summer - moved up from a Yamaha DS6-B to a Honda CB350 K5.  State Farm paid out quickly as I remember.

State Farm still carries my homeowners, auto (3) and motorcycle (2) insurance; about $5k per year - waiting to hear how well they take care of you in this instance.  Involved in a single car accident back in 2011; State Farm paid out quickly and was quite helpful but my auto coverage went up by 62% for 2-3 years as I was placed into the 'Safe Driver'(?) program.  Had been experiencing slight premium reductions every year due to longevity and good driving record up to this point. 

The NC legislature passed some sort of law around this time period that allowed auto-bike insurers to 'recoup losses'(?) on a more expedited basis, meaning most of us now see rate increases every six months whether we have a mark against our record or not.  We suspect this came about due to the substantial increase in uninsured motorists on NC roads in recent years, many of whom don't speak any english.  I checked around and State Farm is still giving the best rates overall so I'm going to stick with them for the time being.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch