Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Clutch lever switch  (Read 1263 times)

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
Clutch lever switch
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
Hi all, has anyone else had this problem? When I pull in the clutch she doesn't always want to start. Dead really. I have checked the battery voltage and that's fine. So in my mind it can only be the switch by the clutch lever. Having fiddled with it while out and about and the odd curse it came back to life to start.
Now, my bike has over 50,000 miles on it now and apart from that is as good as gold. I have no intention of changing it as re sale values are pants! I'll probably need a new switch but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Glen

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Clutch lever switch
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
I do get the impression sometimes that the starter switch does not always make good contact.  Often I press it and get a very short try to start and then it stops let go and press again with  a bit more concentration to make sure I push properly and it starts perfectly.  I wonder if the switch has a bit of play in so when not concentrating I dont quite push straihgt or hard enough and it does not quite make?

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 06:10:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
I do get the impression sometimes that the starter switch does not always make good contact.  Often I press it and get a very short try to start and then it stops let go and press again with  a bit more concentration to make sure I push properly and it starts perfectly.  I wonder if the switch has a bit of play in so when not concentrating I dont quite push straihgt or hard enough and it does not quite make?

If you try to start the bike while the ECU and various electronics are going through their startup and diagnostics routines right at after power-on, you'll get that nearly every time. Wait 2-3 seconds before hitting the starter button. There's a thread already in the forum somewhere on this. :-)
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Honda CBR1000RR (for sale)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
 I always wait until the suspension has finished its routine or it can stay on until next start.  And still sometimes gives just a short attempt at start and stops.  Second press taking a bit more care always works.  It is as though the starter switch makes contact but then opens again.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:23:35 AM »
The "momentary Starter turning" does not seem to be the problem that
gfxmonkey is experiencing, as he says when pulling the clutch in, the starter is "dead".

Have you checked for any "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" ( DTC's ) ?

The Clutch switch is only one of the items in the Starter Safety Interlock circuit.

To Start the engine the Kill Switch ( Right handlebar ) must be ON,
the Clutch must be pulled in, AND
the Gearbox must be in Neutral IF the Side Stand is down,
OR it can be in gear if the Side Stand is up.

I would therefore also check the Side Stand switch,
and consider the Gear Position Sensor too,
as either could be the culprit of this issue.

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »
Hi Coconut, having been round it, I am pretty certain it's the micro switch but will double check everything else.

Glen

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »
Another feature of the Clutch lever switch, is that when riding with Cruise Control engaged,
pulling in the Clutch lever should disengage the Cruise Control, so that would be an easy
check to make next time you're out on the road.

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
The "momentary Starter turning" does not seem to be the problem that
gfxmonkey is experiencing, as he says when pulling the clutch in, the starter is "dead".

Isn't that the exact same symptom when someone tries to start their bike too early? It is for me -- I hold the clutch, depress the starter button, it whirs, then stops completely as if the starter were dead. If I wait, it will work. Or if I am really good (bad?) at the timing, I can press the starter switch with the clutch lever pulled at it won't do anything until I let go and wait a few more seconds. As I said previously, this doesn't happen to me anymore since I've begun waiting longer to start the bike but every once-in-a-while it will.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Honda CBR1000RR (for sale)