Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Clutch lever switch  (Read 1264 times)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Clutch lever switch
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 02:24:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
Isn't that the exact same symptom when someone tries to start their bike too early? It is for me -- I hold the clutch, depress the starter button, it whirs, then stops completely as if the starter were dead. If I wait, it will work. Or if I am really good (bad?) at the timing, I can press the starter switch with the clutch lever pulled at it won't do anything until I let go and wait a few more seconds. As I said previously, this doesn't happen to me anymore since I've begun waiting longer to start the bike but every once-in-a-while it will.
That's exactly the way mine works, it's a 2013.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline 1675

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »
I had a similar problem too on my 2013. I took the right switch cube apart and put a  bit of acf 50 on the starter switch contacts which cured my troubles

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Often I press it and get a very short try to start and then it stops let go and press again with  a bit more concentration to make sure I push properly and it starts perfectly.

Ditto
But I put this down to operator error where I have released the starter button too early.

On a related note, the brake switch on my right lever failed earlier this year, and because it is an integral part of the right hand switch gear harness, the whole lot had to be replaced. Yes, that's right, the complete switchgear cluster and harness back to the connector under the seat. Not cheap at £90 and the labour to remove all the bodywork to access the harness.

Anyway, I asked to keep the old harness, and have since taken it apart to investigate a possible cheaper repair in the future. I mention this, because it might be the same for the clutch micro-switch? What I found was that there were two switches related to the brake lever: A micro-switch that couldn't be dismantled any further, and a second switch that could. Now I don't know why there are two, perhaps one is for the brake light, and the other is for the cruise? But the second switch showed slight signs of green corrosion, which I was able to clean up. I don't know whether this has made any difference yet, as I have not plugged it in to check, but I am keeping the harness in case it can be used.

My bike is getting close to the 50K mark, and has been ridden in some pretty atrocious weather, which probably isn't good for said micro-switches...
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
I was thinking of dismantling the unit to have a look Shaun. Mine is ridden in all weathers too so maybe the corrosion has caught up with the mileage.

Glen

Offline paulpaul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lacombe, AB
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 02:49:57 AM »
I also had a very similar problem.  Sometimes the bike would start and sometimes not.  To get it to start I would pull the clutch lever in a couple of times, then hold it in and it would start.  I mentioned it to my dealer and he replaced the switch and I have not had a problem since.  This all occurred in the first year of ownership.  (2014 SE)
Paul
1983 Honda V45
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
2014 Triumph Trophy SE