Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: How clean is your bike?  (Read 4718 times)

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    How clean is your bike?
    on: Jun 24, 2018, 10.39 am
    Jun 24, 2018, 10.39 am
    Hi all, I spent the morning yesterday crawling about the garage floor dismantling the rear suspension links and greasing them... while there I noticed how chipped the rear wheel paint is! Dont get me wrong, its not that bad but I worked out what was going on. As you take the wheel off its prone to hitting the exhaust hanger.. this has obviously happened a couple of times. I havent had the bike from new and its a 2103 with 24k miles now so shouldn't expect it to be immaculate.
    I also cleaned up the exhaust link pipe with scotchbrite it was a dark brown colour with burnt on road muck, the rear drive and rear brake bracket both have flaking paint. The back of the engine and the shock both are pretty dirty with road grime, as is the front of the engine....
    I wash the bike after every use but don't spray any "wonder cleaner" in anywhere... take 4 steps back and the bike looks brand new.. but get on your knees and its a different story  :016:

Looks like this winter I will be rubbing down and painting bits.....

• Offline spl383   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    122

Offline spl383

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
    Re: How clean is your bike?
    Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2018, 12.58 pm
    Jun 24, 2018, 12.58 pm
    I powder coated my wheels in a satin color.  They always looked dirty with the stock flat color.  I might wash my bike once a year.  I have always used quick detailer from chemcial guys. When i take a long trip, I take a small bottle of quick detailer and a micro fiber rag  and clean the bike every morning.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2018, 02.23 am
    Jun 25, 2018, 02.23 am
    I washed it a few weeks ago... it needs a bath.  Thank goodness I don't have to look through the windscreen!  The bugs are piling up...
    Year round rider here!

• Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2018, 04.40 am
    Jun 25, 2018, 04.40 am
    Ummmm  :012: I think it's blue?  :027:
    2013 Trophy SE
    2012 Tiger 1050 SE
    2013 R1200GS
    2006 CBR1100XX

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2018, 09.20 am
    Jun 25, 2018, 09.20 am
    I've washed the bike about a month ago... Gonna do it once more before the holiday in september. I want the bike to look clean when we visit 'home' (the Hinckley factory) in sepbember.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

• Online HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1309

Online HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2018, 10.56 am
    Jun 25, 2018, 10.56 am
    Some of you out their might think I have too much time on my hands. If you refer to the Rain and the Trophy post in this section, then go to page 2, reply #13 you will see what I do when I wash my bike. It's a 2016 model purchased towards the end of the year [Xmas present you might say]. It has nearly 44k on the clock and still looks like new after a bath.
       An example was last Saturday night [6pm - 12 midnight] I completed the BMW Motorcycle Club Icicle Ride. You get it, a middle of winter ride of 290 kilometres spread over three legs. I had to ride through rain for an hour to get to the start, then the rest of night was rain free. Wet roads, but rain free. It was generally centred in the South Gippsland and Mid North Central Gippsland area. These just happen to be Victoria's [my State here in Australia] prime dairying areas. Basically lots of cow sh#t on the road crossing points at farms.
        I returned to my home at about 1.30 am and collapsed into bed. Up and into the bike cleaning by mid morning to remove what I considered to be a liberal coating of the afore mentioned detriment. After a double dose of degreaser I had removed all the baked on sh#t. Then I just completed my normal procedure to bring the bike back to it's shiny self.
        I have noticed a small degree of stone chipping on the top side of the swinging arm. To limit this in the future I have applied strips of black adhesive tape. Apart from this the bike still looks as good as new.
         As a little boy I was told to look after things as they might be the only ones I'd get. Now that Triumph have discontinued the Trophy, that's what I'm doing.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline Jings

• Trophy Member  ‐    80

Offline Jings

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Norfolk
    Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2018, 11.15 am
    Jun 25, 2018, 11.15 am
    The primary purpose of my motorcycle clothing is to protect me... from the dirt on the bike.  :008:

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2018, 12.05 pm
    Jun 25, 2018, 12.05 pm
    *Originally Posted by Jings [+]
    The primary purpose of my motorcycle clothing is to protect me... from the dirt on the bike.  :008:

:104:
    Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644