Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Bike dropped by the wind  (Read 4606 times)

• Offline ladisney   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    47
    • Topic Author

Offline ladisney

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 17 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Pleasant Hill, Iowa
    Bike dropped by the wind
    on: Jun 29, 2018, 04.44 am
    Jun 29, 2018, 04.44 am
    Today while at work we had a sudden storm roll through with seventy to eighty MPH winds.  The strongest gusts came out of the South and my bike was parked facing North.  The forecast just called for scattered showers so I didn't expect more than the bike just getting wet so I simply left it on the side stand.  Apparently the wind caught the back of the windshield and rolled it forward causing the sidestand to fold up and the bike to fall over.  If I had thought this might happen I can think of several things that would likely have prevented the fall. 

Leave it in gear.  I habitually leave the bike in neutral, if it had been in first gear it likely would not have rolled forward even with the high winds. 

Park facing the wind.  The windshield acted like a parachute with the wind coming from the rear.  If it had been facing into the wind the pushing effect of the wind would have been minimized and the sidestand would have slid rather than fold up.

Park on the down wind side of the building rather than away from it.  If there had been anything like this in the forecast I likely would have taken the car! :110:

As it was there was a lot of tree and roof damage in town and power was out for hours in much of the town, but damage to the bike was limited to a few scratches on the left side and a broken left front turn signal lens.  Not too bad and some lessons learned.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    745

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Re: Bike dropped by the wind
    Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2018, 05.21 am
    Jun 29, 2018, 05.21 am
    Sucks...
    Year round rider here!

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2018, 08.25 am
    Jun 29, 2018, 08.25 am
    I had the same happen last year. They don't lean too much when on the side stand. IT fell away from the stand. Luckily they were a few chaps near to help me lift her.. I had scratches to the fairing mirror housing and pannier.

However when I removed the firing it has also broken a small cast alloy bracket the fairing mounts to. Not a big issue but I know it's broken and seems part of the headlamp mounting.

I touched the scratch's in with a touch in but it still shows, will respray when I trade it.
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2018, 08.55 am
    Jun 29, 2018, 08.55 am
    Best to inspect/replace that gear lever bolt soon then.

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2018, 11.24 am
    Jun 29, 2018, 11.24 am
    Yep Brake and gear lever all checked out and lubed during winter supension/Lever maintenance.  :028:
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Eldersburg
    Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2018, 02.18 pm
    Jun 29, 2018, 02.18 pm
    I don't think ANY bike would be safe in 70-80mph winds....at least not without tie-downs!

Steve

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2018, 02.44 pm
    Jun 29, 2018, 02.44 pm
    *Originally Posted by ladisney [+]
    Today while at work we had a sudden storm roll through with seventy to eighty MPH winds. 

Not too bad and some lessons learned.

A couple of weeks ago in Iowa...

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    930

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2018, 02.50 pm
    Jun 29, 2018, 02.50 pm
    Years ago my '81 Suzuki 1100EX was blown over by the wind at work.  Parked in a space between 3 walls, the wind funneled in, and blew over a couple of other bikes too, parked 'sidestand in' from then on.

Later, my BMW R1150RT was blown over.  Famous for being shakey on the side stand, was at the MSF Advanced Rider Class.  T-storms rolled in and they made us take shelter.  Wind was coming from behind the RT, windscreen just like a sail.  Not in gear  :192:

I saw her start to rock forward, took off across the parking lot with the instructor yelling at me to stay put.  3-4 classmates saw what was happeining and joined the race. 

We ALMOST got there in time....  :159:

For those of you that have owned a Boxer Twin, you know the lovely 3-point-landing they make ( mirror, cylinder head, saddlebag - leaving the wheels parallel to the earth ) and how the $200+ mirror always breaks.. 

Learned to leave the bike in gear when parked ... always....

And then these was this:  ( see attached pic ) - Sad pic of TTSE on her side in New Mexico in '14 at only 8000 miles...
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

tweedy-bunch