Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Putting New Shoes On The Trophy  (Read 7509 times)

• Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline Collybus

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quincy Ma
    Putting New Shoes On The Trophy
    on: Jul 04, 2018, 01.39 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 01.39 am
    The OEM tires on my 2016 TTSE are starting to scallop, even though there is still plenty of tread left with about 7000 miles on them. The ride is no longer smooth due to the wear, so time to replace. Two questions:

Any competent shop can replace tires on the Trophy, yes? No need to take it to my dealer, who is 50 miles away, right?

And, I know this will generate debate, what is a good fit for the Trophy, leaning towards performance over durability?

• Offline Travelling2bob   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Sale
    Re: Putting New Shoes On The Trophy
    Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2018, 02.19 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 02.19 am
    G'day,

Yes a competent shop should be able to change the tyres (watch the TPMS sensors).

There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding type of tyres for the TTSE. Most common is the requirement for GT A specification. I've had two sets of Pirelli Angel GT A Spec tyres, after Michelin PR4 GT A spec. I rate the Pirelli's.
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Triumph Trophy SE
    Triumph Thunderbird 1600
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Ducati ST3

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1337

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2018, 06.41 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 06.41 am
    Collybus, at the present I'm on my second set of Michelin PR4 GT's, but will probably fit the new PR5 GT's for the next set, won't be that long before that happens.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07.11 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 07.11 am
    I wouldn't hold your breath, HACKLE. A GT-version of the pilot 5 is going to be available in 2019.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1349

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09.06 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 09.06 am
    Hi Collybus,

yes, any competent tyre fitter will have no problem fitting new boots.

We all have our tyre preference but in truth, any of the big manufacturers that offer a tyre for a large touring bike will be good.  Our preference is just based on what we think is the best.  I like Michelin PR4 GT's and as Michelin is currently offering a £30 payback if you fit a pair they win on price too.  I have used Dunlop Roadsmart as well and like those.  I tend to change at 2mm tread depth this is 1mm above the legal minimum in the UK but I think using that last 1mm of the tread is not worth the payback as by then my tyres are miss shaped and not nearly as efficient as new ones.  In my mind a false economy to run them too low as they puncture more easily and as I say a dramatic fall-off in performance and feel to save a little cash.

There is not much rubber, say the size of two hand palm prints, between you and infinity so make it the best rubber available.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2018, 02.19 pm
    Jul 04, 2018, 02.19 pm
    I have an Avon Storm 3D XM rear on now that I like and is wearing well.  Good in the rain.  As far as a competent dealer for install, I had a very competent local dealer match the online price and quote a competitive installation price and let them do it.  My only comment is, if they will let you go back in the shop to talk to the tech before they install your tires, do so, and tell them face to face to take care not to damage your tire pressure sensors.  I told two different people about mine, including the service manager, and no one bothered to tell the tech and he broke mine.  They scrambled and found a new old stock pair (straight stem instead of angled, which is actually better on the rear) and replaced it and paid for me to have it programmed at the Triumph dealer 60 miles away and I got an extra sensor in the process, but it was aggravating.  The two I got have cases that can be opened and the battery replaced and my old ones that were each replaced once under warranty are the Swiss version that is completely sealed with epoxy.  All in all I guess I'm better off now. :112:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2018, 06.35 pm
    Jul 04, 2018, 06.35 pm
    I have just stuck with Bridgestones, BT023's on when I got it, replaced the back like for like last year but its nearly gone after 4K miles, i don't do motorways very often so most runs are "spirited", just changed the front for a T30 evo. Never had a problem with grip...

Has anyone had their rear balanced? I made a carrier for my basic balancer, and have used that, do normal shop machines fit the unusual back wheel.....

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07.06 pm
    Jul 04, 2018, 07.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by GavJ [+]
    ...Has anyone had their rear balanced? I made a carrier for my basic balancer, and have used that, do normal shop machines fit the unusual back wheel.....
    Yes. Apparently, the Ducati's have a same size hole.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.