Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Overheating  (Read 3523 times)

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213
    • Topic Author

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy A1
    • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
    Overheating
    on: Jul 04, 2018, 07.57 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 07.57 am
    Last night my TT overheated while crawling through the rush hour traffic into the centre of Bristol (it was 30 deg C). The warning light came on and the dash started flashing an coolant temp high message, however I couldnít pull over immediately in such heavy traffic. Eventually something went pop and the front of the bike was covered in steam and coolant. It turns out that the reservoir cap had blown off presumably due to excess pressure. I walked 2 miles to Halfords to get some more OAT coolant by which time it had cooled down enough for me to top it up (what a pain that is! I used a small plastic bottle to transfer the coolant into the reservoir, but still spilt loads). Anyway, it still couldnít cope with the milder 25 degrees later on, so this morning I checked the fuse which had blown. I also checked the fans, and one was rotating freely when pushed with a long screwdriver, but the other fan has seized solid. When I replaced the blown fuse, and started the bike, it just ticked over and overheated again. The fans didnít come on, and the fuse blew again. Iím thinking itís the seized fan (there are no error codes though).

So, some advice please fellow members:
    Has anyone been here before? Will I be able to ride the 200 (motorway) miles home without getting this sorted - say I wait until the early hours when it is cooler?
    How easy is it to change the fan?
    Is there an easy way to disconnect the faulty fan, but leave the good one still in circuit?
    Anything else I should know, or any other advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks all.
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
    History (best of):
    KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Overheating
    Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09.12 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 09.12 am
    I would have thought that there would be a connector block to pull to the fan (s) but maybe it's in series so you would have neither fan working??
    Riding in cool weather, I never hear the fan come on so I'm guessing that you should be OK.

If you have breakdown cover, I'd get them to take it home for you, that's probably the safest option.

• Offline earthman   gb

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09.18 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 09.18 am
    Oh, that fan seizing/blowing the fuse, you may find a stone jammed between a blade and it's housing, this were a common problem on my previous Honda.

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213
    • Topic Author

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2018, 09.47 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 09.47 am
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    Oh, that fan seizing/blowing the fuse, you may find a stone jammed between a blade and it's housing, this were a common problem on my previous Honda.
    Worth checking before paying £106 for a new fan. Thanks.
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    History (best of):

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2018, 10.22 am
    Jul 04, 2018, 10.22 am
    Just WOW!  I carry transport insurance through AMA (standard) and AAA RV (Platinum) so ANY motor vehicle I own won't be stranded anywhere.  My preferred Triumph dealer is 120 miles from my house - I avoid the local dealer due to past experience.  Can't imagine a difficult solution.
    Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018, 10.24 am by SprintST1050

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213
    • Topic Author

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2018, 08.02 am
    Jul 07, 2018, 08.02 am
    Well the ride back North was fine - despite one stretch of 30mph roadworks on the M5 (real speed about 26-28) the temperature never budged above 4 bars even with no fans working and with 28 - 30 degC showing on the dash.
    So after following Coconuts excellent fairing removal guide, I was able to get access to the fans. The right one could be persuaded to move, but was very stiff (there were no stones or other blockage of the blades) whereas the left one spun freely. Without the fairing, I could see that each fan was connected to the bike harness by individual connectors, so after disconnecting the right hand fan I fitted a new fuse and started the bike. Just as the temperature readout went from 5 to 6 bars, the left fan switched in, which confirmed that it is the right fan that is blowing the fuse. Its a shame you canít get to the wiring connectors without first removing the left fairing (they are just above the left fan), but at least I know where they are now.
    Time to order a new RH fan then.
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    History (best of):

• Offline earthman   gb

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2018, 08.25 am
    Jul 07, 2018, 08.25 am
    If there's no damage marks on the blades/housing of a stone being stuck at some point, has the bearing in the centre gone do you think?

If the fault lies within the motor itself, that's poor show,....if like mine, I've only heard them working a couple of times in years, mine don't get much use.

• Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213
    • Topic Author

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2018, 08.58 am
    Jul 08, 2018, 08.58 am
    There are no obvious signs of damage. The blades can be turned by hand, but are very stiff, and it feels rough to turn. I will try to pull it apart at some point to see whether itís corrosion inside or some other cause.

Unfortunately, it is the type of failure that one is unlikely to identify until it is too late, but Iíve not heard of any other failures through the forum, so perhaps it is rare?
    Pacific Blue Trophy A1
    History (best of):