Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Locked Glove Box  (Read 2637 times)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Locked Glove Box
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 05:34:50 PM »
For those that wish to have the ability to open the glove box without the ignition on I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to round off the edge of the catch so that depressing the release button would let it pop up past the catch and open.  I tend to leave my ipod in my glove box so I don't really want to disable it, but per my earlier post is IS possible to open it without ANY tools if you really want in it, so it isn't all that secure anyway.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 12:14:31 AM »
The release button doesn't work without power. Rounding off the edge of the catch won't change that. But, rounding off the edge will make it open easier, as in every time you hit a bump in the road, it will pop open, but it will have nothing to do with the release button. I agree with you, it is possible to open it without any tools, but the amount of force you have to use is way more than I'm comfortable using.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
Mine is easier to open with one hand with some very careful filing of the catch with a flat mini file and it's still secure enough that it doesn't come open by itself.  It is now easier to open without the ignition on because there is just enough movement in the button for it to clear with some side pressure on the edge of the lid with my fingers.  Now I WILL have to remember to remove my Ipod when I park it.  Oh well, price to pay for everything.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Easyrider4

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NW Ohio
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »
Well after getting mine open and removing the glovebox from the fairing and seeing the solenoid unplugged, I then looked close at how the solenoid works and then lubed up the plastic mechanism, I decided to try and see what happens with the solenoid removed.  I unlugged it , took it out (three screws) and tried using the button with no solenoid shaft sticking up through the latch (that actually locks it).  It works fine with no solenoid. I reinstalled the box in the fairing (while not using the front bolt as suggested by ladisney )   I have opened it probably 50 times since yesterday.  I can open it anytime I want now.  While not lockable, I don’t leave anything of real value in it anyway. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:19:11 PM by Easyrider4 »
There are Old Bikers and there are Bold bikers but, there are no Old Bold bikers
Current rides :  2012 Burgman 650 #56
                       2017 Trophy SE      #58

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 09:22:24 PM »
That seems like a good idea to me. I don't keep anything of value in there either, and I don't like turning on the key for the sole purpose of opening the box. Next time I have it apart, I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks.

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 11:32:31 PM »
It occurs to me that I could use the ignition key position in park mode to open the glove box. Total ... For me, I've never seen any utility other than the discharged battery when you turn off the engine and inadvertently put the key in park mode, the front and rear position lights are on and so Therefore, the battery is discharged.

It is very simple to do ...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:37:19 PM by digital »
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 12:03:25 AM »
I'm just wondering.......who keeps gloves in the glove box ?  :002:
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline trophied

• Trophy God