Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Zumo 660 Bluetooth  (Read 14767 times)

Offline RAS

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
Zumo 660 Bluetooth
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:02 am »
I am asking a bit of a stupid question here!!! :084: :191:
On a standard Trophy (non SE), if you have the Zumo 660 and a bluetooth headset, I understand that the sat nav directions and voice prompts etc come through to the headset.
If you bond the phone to the sat nav I understand that you get caller id on the nav display.
My stupid question is, I guess that you can hear the telephone through the headset, but can you speak in reply during telephone conversations and voice command calls if you want?? Does it all work fine going via the sat nav? Is this better than bonding the phone direct to the headset, or is it better to do it through the sat nav to see the caller id??
Anyone with the above mentioned set up will no doubt be able to help me answer the obvious!!! :187:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Zumo 660 Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:45:36 am »
Hi RAS,

I've got the Zumo 660 but is hard wired to my Trophy SE audio system,
ad I don't use the Bluetooth feature.

You can dowload the User manual here : Garmin Zumo 660 Owners Manual

Page 20 onwards has the information about how to use with a Bluetooth phone  :028:

You can also check compatability of Mobile devices and Garmin products here : Compatability Checker

Offline RAS

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
Thanks, Coconut.
I am really just asking if you can speak to the telephone "through" the Zumo. I have had a look at the handbook and it states that you can hear the phone. I am wondering if you can speak as well. Like I said, daft question!!

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:17:06 pm »
I have the Zumo 660 as well. If you link it with your cell phone you can dial, answer incoming calls, etc from the Zumo unit. The problem is to do it while ridding... The noise of the engine will avoid you from listening anything at all and your voice will reach your partner with a lot of noise added. But I you are at a stop you can keep a quite good and clear conversation, even with the helmet on.

What I have done is to link the cell phone with the Zumo and the Zumo with the headphones located in the helmet. Doing this I can:

1.- Listen clearly the driving instructions/driving directions, radar warnings, etc, directly in my ears from the Zumo unit through the headset.

2.- Listen clearly music previously downloaded to the Zumo unit in mp3 format directly in my ears from the Zumo unit through the headset. The Zumo unit will cut immediately and authomaticaly any music to give pass to the driving directions, resuming the music afterwords. It is fantastic!!

3.- Dial from the zumo unit any phone number loaded in the agenda of the cell phone.

4.- Answer any incoming call from the cell phone pressing the "anwer" button that appears on the Zumo´s screen when receiving an incoming call and listening and talking through the headset and microphone that I have in the helmet.

The only thing that I have not been able to arrange yet is to talk and listen from the helmet my dialed outcoming phone calls. I can dial on the zumo´s screen, the receiver of the call answers but I can not listen him nor speak to him from the headset. I do not know why.... So, what I do so far is to dial and wait for the receiver to give me the call back... When he calls it works... Unbelievable but true!!!

Hope to have been somekind useful for you.   

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:27:31 pm »
I see what you mean now - I think the answer is going to be NO !

It looks like the Zumo is only single channel Bluetooth, so can only be connected via Bluetooth to EITHER a Phone OR a Headset.

When it's connected to the Phone, you can hold a Hands-Free phone conversation
using the Zumo's built in speaker, and microphone, which is OK for hands free use in a car,
but not much use on a bike  :027:

With the Trophy SE, where I have the audio output from the Zumo hard wired into the Trophy audio system,
which is then sent by Bluetooth to my helmet, if I pair my Phone to the Zumo by Bluetooth,
then I would be able to hear the incoming call, but the caller would not hear me,
as there is no corresponding connection for the microphone.
( This seems a bit of an oversight on Triumph's part, as they recommend the Zumo 660
but have not provided a microphone connection   :151: ).

On the SE, which has a dual channel Bluetooth system, to get Hands Free phone you have to
pair your helmet headset to the Trophy as "Headset 1" and also pair the Phone to the Trophy as "Device 1".

I know that won't help much but I hope it explains things a bit !

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:52 pm »
The Zumo has a separate setup for linking to a phone and then to a headset.  So it can act as intermediary.  I use mine in the car and on the bike. In the car I use the car cradle option so the speaker and microphone are used for hands free. In the bike cradle the speaker is off and it goes through the autocom for microphone, either hard wired or through a bluetooth module. (sorry, I typed what is below before the other answers!)

I have the Zumo 660 linked in through an autocom system.  I did try using the autocom bluetooth to the Zumo, and the phone linked to the zumo (here is the info http://www.bluerim.com.au/support-/-help/gps-garmin-zumo-autocom-2009-models.html ), but found it was a bit picky about the pairing.  So I went to hard wiring the zumo to the autocom with no problems.  But when the bluetooth on the autocom paired properly I was able to access phonebook, accept calls etc so can't see why a dedicated bluetooth headset could not.

But in principle, depending on your bluetooth setup, you should be able to accept incoming calls, access the phonebook and initiate calls.  All depends on the headset you are using.  For example, you may need to change the headset to VOX (voice activated) for doing phonecalls so you don't need to press a button all the time to talk.  The SENA SMH10 for example has a few ways of doing this, and the default may not be on VOX as there is a phone button.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:19:14 pm by saaz »

Offline RAS

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »
I am looking at the Scala Rider Q1 for the headset. The Q1 can connect to 2 mobile phones, A2DP (Bluetooth® stereo) music players, and GPS navigation devices. It also has a built-in FM radio with RDS and a direct cable connection for non-A2DP MP3 players.
I want to be able to accept incoming calls, access the phonebook and initiate calls as well as get nav instructions etc.
It seems from the replies so far, that this could prove problematic! :087: :087:
I can connect the phone straight to the headset and the nav to the second channel on the headset. This should work but I will not be able to see the caller ID on the nav screen or use the nav screen to dail out, if I wanted!!
I wonder if anyone else has got a similar set up, i.e. Standard bike, phone, zumo 660 and bluetooth headset?? Did they manage to get to be able to get it to work through the nav!?

Offline uberchuckie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 04:06:58 pm »
When I still had my VFR, I had my headset and phone paired with the Zumo 660.  In the Bluetooth section in the Zumo, you pair the headset and phone separately.

I've never tried to initiate a call or activate Siri as my old headset (Nolan) didn't have a "phone" button.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:09:08 pm by uberchuckie »
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR600F4 (track bike)