Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Starting motor noise  (Read 3616 times)

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071
    • Topic Author

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Starting motor noise
    on: Jul 11, 2018, 11.27 am
    Jul 11, 2018, 11.27 am
    Well some weeks back I had an oil leak (did do a post) and this was from the cam chain tensioner. While the fairing was off I gave the engine a good clean, as I don't get to those bits normally. This included the starter motor. A nice brush down and then hose off, no power washer.

About a week after, when the bike was warm the starter motor started making a noise when running. It can only be described as a wo wo wo wo in time with the rotation of the motor.

It looks like my use of the hose may have forced water in a dried a bearing. It's ok when cold. It did spay WD40 both ends of the starting thinking if water went in so would WD40 and this worked for a few days.

The bike is now in my dealer as I have a lifetime warranty for a new starter motor.

Reason for this post.................. if you have the fairing off be careful with that hosepipe  :007:

It wasn't me !!

• Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Re: Starting motor noise
    Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2018, 11.35 am
    Jul 11, 2018, 11.35 am
    Damn! Thanks for th heads up!
    2013 Trophy SE
    2012 Tiger 1050 SE
    2013 R1200GS
    2006 CBR1100XX

• Topic Author

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2018, 02.07 pm
    Jul 24, 2018, 02.07 pm
    Well an update. Just returned from a 12 day holiday and the bike is still at the Dealer  :138:

They have changed The sprag clutch and it's still making the noise  :006:
    They have changes the starter motor and it's still making the noise  :112:
    They have changed the sprag clutch bearings and it's still making the noise  :027:
    They are looking to change the bearings on an item which they deem as a torque converter  :187: but Triumph have told them that these are obsolete  :013: that's strange I say as it's the same engine as the explorer  :087: I am now having to wait as they chase this up with Triumph  :114:

Buy the way they thought it was the sprag clutch as it had blued with over heating  :005:

Good job I have a lifetime warranty  :038:

Will update when I get the final verdict  :002:

It wasn't me !!

• Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2018, 04.30 am
    Jul 25, 2018, 04.30 am
    Thanks for the update mate.

I wonder if the new noise was merely coincidental. It seems as though they are geuinely trying hard to solve the problem and they have done the culprits I would have suggested. Very odd.
    2013 Trophy SE
    2012 Tiger 1050 SE
    2013 R1200GS
    2006 CBR1100XX

• Topic Author

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2018, 05.14 pm
    Jul 27, 2018, 05.14 pm
    Called into dealer today and they cant tell me when the parts they want to change will be available from Triumph  :005:

In view of this I have pushed the button on a Tiger 800. I was impressed a few months back when I test rode it.

Anyone want to buy a lunar silver top box with pad and sliding carridge.
    It wasn't me !!

• Topic Author

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2018, 03.34 pm
    Aug 23, 2018, 03.34 pm
    Well guys despite changing to a 800 Tiger I called in the dealer today and found out what was wrong with the Trophy, The strange starter noise !!

It was not anything to do with the starter system, despite them changing the sprag clutch and bearings and everything else mechanical on the starter system the noise persisted. They even transferred the internals from an explorer motor which was known to be quiet and the noise was still there.

So what was it  :087: Well they told me it was the valve timing  :005: apparently there is some adjustment on a cam and this had slipped. The noise was air being drawn in in time with the starter cranking and this was amplified through the airbox. Re-timed it and the noise went away.

The workshop manager then said he had heard a similar noise when a bike was on a lift with the workshop exhaust extractor connected, but the engine not running, If the engine has an inlet partially open then a similar noise can occur.

I have no reason to disbelieve what they have told me, as I have traded the bike, but wanted to know what the issue was so I could share on here.

A very strange fault but id you get a whoo whoo whoo noise in time with the cranking of the starter, get your valve timing checked.

I will continue to lurk from time to time to see how things are going in Trophy world. In the meantime its back to Tiger 800 world, Where I bumped into Stelyn !!!
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9762

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2018, 07.26 pm
    Aug 23, 2018, 07.26 pm
    Thanks for coming back and updating us with this unusual diagnosis !

Keep in touch, and say "Hi" to Stelyn too  :038:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 27, 2020, 06.49 pm by Coconut

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2018, 07.41 pm
    Aug 23, 2018, 07.41 pm
    *Originally Posted by silverstripes [+]

So what was it  :087: Well they told me it was the valve timing  :005: apparently there is some adjustment on a cam and this had slipped. The noise was air being drawn in in time with the starter cranking and this was amplified through the airbox. Re-timed it and the noise went away.

I'm guessing that they are talking about the bolts that hold the sprocket on the end of the camshaft then, if they become loose the sprocket can rotate a small amount either way, putting the valve timing out. You were lucky that the valves didn't hit the pistons, could have been very expensive to fix. :012:

tweedy-bunch