Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: smooth shifting  (Read 2572 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
Re: smooth shifting
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by karl [+]
I learned how to shift sans clutch on a 1963 Chevy with a three speed column shifted transmission.

I learned on a 53 Dodge dump body truck that had no synchro. Great experience, but not remotely tranfserrable to motorcycle transmission shifting.

Offline karl

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hampden, MA
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »
Actually I still think it does Doc
The Beast

Offline Emerson

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy
  • City / Town: Chicago
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »
I drive manual trans cars {I've had more than I can count} and motorcycles because in large part I love rowing it myself. I've rode bikes with quickshifters and other than enjoying the novelty for a bit I still resorted to using the clutch for the pure joy of it.
And besides, with a trans as great as the Trophy has I'm going to enjoy using it. I've shifted my Corvettes w/o the clutch but truth be told I think most people do it so they can say they do. To each his own.
My droptheclutch email address says it all for me. :008:
“In the end, today is forever, yesterday is still today, and tomorrow is already today.”

Offline Blacktruck

• Trophy Member
  • Out for a ride
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Texarkana Texas
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
After many years of driving commercial vehicles, shifting without using the clutch is second nature in a truck. Sadly the trucks of today do that for the drivers but I digress. I inadvertently shifted mine the other day with no clutch. Riding slowly through town and had my toe under the shifter and not sure if I hit a bump or what but I shifted it and was surprised at how quietly and smoothly it shifted. I actually tried it again a few times and it shifts better without the clutch than my V-twin did with the clutch. But as mentioned previously, just because it can doesn't mean it should.