Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Routing wiring from a farkle shelf...where?  (Read 294 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
Routing wiring from a farkle shelf...where?
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »
Hi all! I'm wrapping up my full-tilt long distance rally prep on my Trophy (pics and a thread on it to follow later) and I have a question. I've got all of the bodywork off the bike, and I mounted a farkle shelf on which (2) GPSs and my phone will live. My question is, where the heck do you route the wiring for this stuff? I really don't want to keep going as far as disassembly of the dash and housing/plastic around the headlight etc. as it appears to be quite involved, but I just can't see any way into that space for hidden cable routing.

I actually have to leave tomorrow on a ride for family business, so my timetable got pushed up, so for now I've run the cable for one GPS along the farkle shelf bracket, and wrapped it around the dash over the mirror, along the speaker, then down into the frame/tank area, and I'm about to do essentially the same to get 12VDC to the phone mount. The second GPS will wait for now. This works, but it's ugly and in general, kinda lame.

What are your thoughts on how to get the cabling for stuff inside the bodywork/dash? I would even be ok with drilling a hole and installing a grommet, if I knew where to put it.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Routing wiring from a farkle shelf...where?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
Hi dietThunder,

There are 2 resources that can help you here :

Both are concerned with fitting of the dedicated Triumph Sat Nav Bracket,
which explains how to dismantle the Instrument Panel surround
( for routing of the Sat Nav cradle wiiring ).

The first is the Triumph Instructions for mounting the bracket, available to download here :

Triumph Instructions.com

Enter Part Number A9828009 in the Search Box, then click the Flag for your Country when the file is found.

The second is probably more useful as it was written by one of our Forum Members,
davybull, and can be found here :

HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount & Zumo 660

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:52:23 AM »
I made a small notch next to the sat radio antenna and routed behind the dash.  Of course, that means dash disassembly.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 04:14:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by tdragger [+]
I made a small notch next to the sat radio antenna and routed behind the dash.  Of course, that means dash disassembly.

Ya it's looking like that is The Way. I have been lazy and not working on the bike. Now, I have a family situation on SC and I need to go there tomorrow, and that combined with being released to ride by my doc, and I found sudden motivation to get the bike in travelling nick.

For now, I routed the wiring along the bottom of the shelf and around into the cockpit. Its ugly but functional...will follow your lead at some point for a re-do.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:16:16 AM by dietDrThunder »

tweedy-bunch