Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: I'm not worthy  (Read 6020 times)

Offline JRickW

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy-Blue
  • City / Town: SoCal
I'm not worthy
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:46:11 AM »
So I took a ride through the mountains E of LA on Sunday and I got passed by some Harley's.  Not the bikes fault! I'm just not quite there yet.  I do LOVE the bike and should start to get more and more comfortable as time goes on. But for right now I'm just content to enjoy the ride :002:

Offline kingoffleece

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050SE
  • City / Town: Western New York
Re: I'm not worthy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:17:54 AM »
Get "Sport Bike Riding Techniques" by Nick I.  Also try "Riding in the Zone" by Ken Condon.

When www.stayinsafe.com comes to SoCal sign up and take the class.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:11:30 AM »
The kind part of me wants to say "don't worry, it's not a race and one should never ride faster than the speed one with which one is comfortable". But the triumph enthusiast in me wants to say, Harley's? :156: :110:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »
...... AND - going from A - B, compared to those "others",
YOU got to enjoy the ride for LONGER  :047:

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
I understand exactly how you feel. I bought the Trophy so that Sarah and I could tour in relative comfort. It has taken 4 months to get used to it. I can now flip it in and out of traffic, Walk it anywhere on my hip when parking and feel totally at one with it.

Initially I was concerned as to the weight but more importantly, felt that there was no 'feel' from the front tyre. I found this disconcerting initially but have got used to it. I suspect it is the design of the bike overall that makes it feel less sensitive at the front.

Even the backache has now gone  :062:
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
I have had Harleys, my last bike a Victory Vegas. Great bike.

Thing is you ride to your own level and enjoy yourself. You dont have to prove anything to anyone.

Ride safe. Just remember you will catch up with the harleys when they are stopping every 120miles for fuel :745:

Enjoy your own zone

seadog
seadog

Offline kingoffleece

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050SE
  • City / Town: Western New York
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
It's not all about being quick but having a skill set you can count on when the unexpected happens.
I agree-ride within your abilities.  However, if those abilities don't continue to expand it's much more likely for a rider to react incorrect when the right response is needed.

As a professional diver for 10 years we used to say to our classes for advanced diving or instructor training "do you have 5/10/15 (whatever) years experience or do you have 1 year experience 154 times over.  Not to be cute but this is a very real possibility.  The experience of not being able to stay with the H-D's in the turns suggests that the rider may not fully grasp the concepts of correct lines, proper turn in, delayed apex for the street, and many other techniques.

Then again, it may just be a casual pace.  In any case, ask the experience question and answer honestly.
Proof this is valid-single vehicle crashes have overtaken the left turn accident as the #1 cause of motorcycle accidents.  In other words, the rider has done it to themselves.  And of those the great majority happen in the curves suggesting the cyclist lacks cornering skill.

As always, YMMV and this my $.02.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
kingoffleece

I agree with your comments. Most motorcycle riders do NO more training after taking their test.

Some form of after training is well worth the time and money. Either Bikesafe in the UK or Advanced rider awareness training.

It is amazing how some proper tuition advances your techniques and awareness.

Ex SAT Diver

seadog
seadog

tweedy-bunch