Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Tyre pressures Again...  (Read 8985 times)

• Offline Alden

• Trophy Member  ‐    63
    • Topic Author

Offline Alden

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 TT SE ABS
    • City / Town: Claremore, Ok.
    Tyre pressures Again...
    on: Aug 01, 2018, 11.57 pm
    Aug 01, 2018, 11.57 pm
    I've only had this 2014 TT since last May. Tyre pressure gauge kept telling me low pressure in both tyres. So I took it to local tyre shop to suck out the air and replace with NITRO GLYCEREN (Nitrogen}. I've done this to all my vehicles, it's really nice not to need to check TPs on trailers that sit unmoved for long periods of the year. Does anyone know more about using Nitrous Oxide in tyres with TPMS?

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Tyre pressures Again...
    Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2018, 02.56 am
    Aug 02, 2018, 02.56 am
    Nitrous Oxide is not what you would want in tires, it is a powerful oxidizer.  Nitrogen, on the other hand, is a totally dry gas so there is very little pressure change from heat buildup.  Nitrogen is also the absolutely cheapest gas on the planet to extract by separation plants because there is such a large percentage in free air.  Gas companies at one time practically gave nitrogen away to keep from pumping it out on the ground and letting it vapor off (yes I've seen that in person more than once).  Now a market has been created for it in the automotive world, and that's fine, free enterprise and all.  Try it if you want, but if you do need air out on the road somewhere it's unlikely you will find nitrogen as cheaply as a plain old compressor somewhere.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Alden

• Trophy Member  ‐    63
    • Topic Author

Offline Alden

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03.45 am
    Aug 02, 2018, 03.45 am
    I was joking with the Nitro Glycerin {goes BIG BOOM} and Nitrous Oxide is Laughing GAS. If I get a flat or leak i WILL use the on-board air compressor. But if the computer tells me early enough I'll suck it dry and laugh my head off until AAA gets there.

• Offline spl383   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    122

Offline spl383

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
    Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2018, 04.15 am
    Aug 02, 2018, 04.15 am
    What did they charge you? I have asked a couple local shops and they either don't have it or wont do motorcycle tires.

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03.19 pm
    Aug 02, 2018, 03.19 pm
    *Originally Posted by Alden [+]
    I was joking with the Nitro Glycerin {goes BIG BOOM} and Nitrous Oxide is Laughing GAS. If I get a flat or leak i WILL use the on-board air compressor. But if the computer tells me early enough I'll suck it dry and laugh my head off until AAA gets there.
    :745:

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01.00 am
    Aug 09, 2018, 01.00 am
    The air you breathe is 78% nitrogen. Water vapor accounts for ~1% of air. If you drop that to 0% via pure nitrogen, you reduce the possible PSI difference by less than a third of a PSI, assuming one could reduce it to 0%, which is impossible because the tire would have to be filled with pure nitrogen in a vacuum.

Long story short: anything more than zero paid for nitrogen is a ripoff because it doesn't do anything.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01.36 am
    Aug 09, 2018, 01.36 am
    It's not the moisture content in air, it's the liquid in the compressor stations.  If you ever depress the shutoff on one of the air stations tire valves you will most likely get sprayed with water, which WOULD end up in your tire.  Small tire, small amount of water, equals big difference.  I think most people with home compressors know that they need to bleed the water out of the tank periodically if for no other reason than to keep the compressor tank and regulator (mostly die cast bodies) from corroding.  I know it, and I still had to rebuild my failed regulator which was full of corrosion.

• Offline Alden

• Trophy Member  ‐    63
    • Topic Author

Offline Alden

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2018, 02.23 am
    Aug 09, 2018, 02.23 am
    Hi guys (and ladies?) I'm back. Spent some time in hospital and I cant do very much that needs to be done. Afib zapped me and I hafta take more meds.

The tire shop where I buy my tires has a nitrogen sucker-outter machine. I have them nitro all the tires on my vehicles and trailers and now my TTSE. $5.00 each tire.