Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Camera mounting on the Trophy for best results  (Read 6191 times)

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Camera mounting on the Trophy for best results
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
I bought a GoPro 3 camera whilst passing thru Amsterdam so havent had it home yet. Been looking at photos of the bike and trying to think of a good position to fix the camera.

I know Cropbiker has one so he maybe able to suggest a couple of places.

I thought of under the headlight unit but it isnt as smooth as they recommend. I dont use my radio that much and even thought of getting a mounting pole that screwed into the ariel connection.

Has anyone out there fix a gopro or similar camera for best results.

seadog :084:
seadog

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: Camera mounting on the Trophy for best results
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by seadog [+]
I bought a GoPro 3 camera whilst passing thru Amsterdam so havent had it home yet. Been looking at photos of the bike and trying to think of a good position to fix the camera.

I know Cropbiker has one so he maybe able to suggest a couple of places.

I thought of under the headlight unit but it isnt as smooth as they recommend. I dont use my radio that much and even thought of getting a mounting pole that screwed into the ariel connection.

Has anyone out there fix a gopro or similar camera for best results.

seadog :084:

Seadog

Have you like me fitted bar mounted mirrors ?? You could utilise these mounting points maybe  :087: :087:

Have fun sorting and lets us know the outcome.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:57:15 PM »
Will do. Maybe home this weekend for a couple of days so can have a muck about. :002:

seadog
seadog

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »
Well, here goes!

On the previous bike, a K1200S, I mounted the go pro on the front of the bike on the fairing to the side of the headlight using the GoPro suction mount. It was pretty stable, but suffered from being quite low and so not always the best angle for shots unless you want crash barriers and hedgerows!

:008: :008:

On the Trophy I tried the same sucky mount on top of the top box. Got some pretty good shots, see my gallery, but even the slightest dust caught under the silicon sucker has vibrated and caused minor grazing so I won't put it there again with the sucker.

I have tried the sucker mount on the unpainted black plastic on the inboard of the panniers. Seems stable, handy for power, reasonably high and not obscured by the rider.

I have just bought one of these which I think will clamp nicely to the pillion grab handle. and give that little bit of extra height. When it arrives and I have a bike I can safely ride I will report back

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180904631514?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I guess this could also clamp to adventure bars or handlebars!  :002: :002:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
Cropbiker

thanks. Looks an interesting suggestion. Probably need the GoPro tripod mount to screw in.

I have also looked at the Body harness but not exactly a fashion item :745:

seadog
seadog

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
I think with the body harness you might just get lots of shots of the inside of your windscreen!

Yes, you will need the GoPro tripod mount thingy... but that is very affordable ( I don't like to use the word cheap!, Its SO Essex!)

LOL

:008: :008:

Offline Fireman73163

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Miles, IA
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
I have tried a couple things as far as mounting a GoPro on the bike and found only 2 good options. On the dash behind the windshield...slight vibration, but not too bad. The best by far that I have used quite a bit is to mount the camera right to the top of my helmet, using the adhesive mounts. Very smooth video, the ability to pan to objects of interest, and is clear of the windshield. You do from time to time catch a bug...but if you get the new 3rd generation Gopro with wi-fi and use a I-pod touch or I-Phone, they have an app that you can control the camera and all its's options with and one option is to preview what the camera is seeing at almost real time. I have my I-pod touch mounted on the handlebars and can see what the camera sees ( catch when a  bugs on the lens ) and have the ability to turn the camera on and off at will to catch points of interest or just let it run. I use the waterproof case, it cuts down on wind noise, but still gets good audio...even picks up some of my intercom conversations from time to time ! Be sure you use a 32gig HIGH SPEED SD card,  slower cards will record...for about a minuite or two then stop recording. The 32 gig card will get you about 2 1/2 hours of video shooting at 1080p and 60 frames per second using the battery backpack on the GoPro, about half that time without the extra battery, the unit REALLY likes batteries ! When played back on a large Hi -Def television the results are stunning, just like being on the bike again.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »
Here are some pictures of the camera mount solution I am using.

tweedy-bunch