Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Currently a BMW S1000XR owner........  (Read 2796 times)

• Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • City / Town: Camberley
    Currently a BMW S1000XR owner........
    on: Aug 21, 2018, 03.28 pm
    Aug 21, 2018, 03.28 pm
    But I'm a good guy really !
    Thinking of moving back to the Triumph fold.
    The wife has had a wrist op meaning she may not be able to ride her street triple so thinking of a (modern) trophy as a 2 up toy.
    Being a fairly short person, the XR is fine 1 up, but 'on tip toes' 2 up isn't a great plan me thinks !
    I'd welcome any comments/feedback from people have moved from 'more sports orientated' to the more 'tourer'. 
    Cheers all

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9947

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Currently a BMW S1000XR owner........
    Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09.07 am
    Aug 22, 2018, 09.07 am
    Hi zx9landie - We're ALL Good Guys here !  :075:

I haven't done that transition myelf, but hopefully this information will be useful to you :

The Trophy is a HEAVY machine, ( 301 Kgs wet / 662lbs ), and somewhat Top Heavy too!

You need to sit on one and see how it fits you - there are two differnet seats available,
    "Standard" and "Low", and each seat is adjustable between two positions - "High" and "Low".

This Topic gives and idea of the differences in heights between the different seats :

Effects of Different Seat Heights on Rider Ergonomics !

You really do need to be able to plant your feet down securely when stopping,
    in addition to choosing where NIT to stop - Adverser camber on the side you're going to
    put your first foot down onto, slippery surfaces such as gravel, wet White road paint etc,
    to avoid the risk of a foot slipping and the bike going over -
    especially with the additional weight of a pilllion passenger to hold up ! 

Having said all that, once moving the Trophy becomes surprisingly light and easy to handle,
    and though I have no comparison with your current Ride, I doubt you will be disappointed
    in the Trophy performance, taking account of itl's 1215cc engine size, and weight,
    so if you're going to sit on one and try it for size - take it out for a Test Ride -
    you'll probaby be writing out the deposit cheque as soon as you get back !

Keep us posted as to how you get on - whether you decide to buy or not !  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 27, 2020, 06.51 pm by Coconut

• Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2018, 02.46 pm
    Aug 22, 2018, 02.46 pm
    Thanks Coconut
    one of my reservations is the 300 + kg to be honest, add the wife & that's a LOT !!!  :006: :006:
    Interesting reading. Have had a quick 'sit on' a trophy in a dealer & am on the balls on my feet but the salesman didn't know if the seat was on the lowest setting.
    Weather permitting, a test ride to be scheduled for sat. That's not be weather worrying but the dealer, seems they don't want to have to clean it again should it rain !  :180: :180:
    To be honest - the sensible thing would be to wait until next spring to give the wife maximum 'healing time' but........... sensible & bike riding, hmmmm !!!  :164: :164: :164: :164:
    It's a good excuse to try another beastie
    I have a riding pal who has a Elec suspension 120 Tiger/explorer who raves about the engine, hence the interest. My original thought is an FJR1200 as still gets very good reviews & appears to be more the 'sports' end of sensible sports tourer rather than the 'comfort' end tourer as per the Trophy.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11.27 pm
    Aug 22, 2018, 11.27 pm
    Putting a set of Lust lowering links on the Trophy is a piece of cake to lower it 3/4" or more (they have more than one height), but I don't know how easy it is on the FJR.  The seating position on the FJR is totally different as well, and I decided I would never be comfortable for very long on it.  Check in on the FJR forum to see if anyone has any info about lowering it. Neither of the two mentioned is the S1000XR, especially if you have the Dynamic suspension.
    Last Edit: Aug 22, 2018, 11.29 pm by trophied
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2018, 08.42 am
    Aug 23, 2018, 08.42 am
    Hi trophied,
    I should have typed fjr1300.
    My Xr. Is a dynamic model. Iíve found a kit (soupy suspension links) for it to lower it to see if thatís an option but her in draws found a static sit on not to comfy but has to be the 1st idea as itís the cheapest.
    I work with a couple of fur riders who have both raised theirs so Iíll be contacting the manufacturer for details.
    I know It makes me old, but I remember when bikes were built for average humans. My fz750, rd 400 & 350 & 1000 Genesis were all fine.
    Hey hoo

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2018, 04.56 pm
    Aug 23, 2018, 04.56 pm
    If you're into a lighter weight machine and sportier handling, the FJR1300 and the Trophy are not it.  the FJR weighs almost as much as the Trophy but handles it well (from all the comments I see about it).  The Trophy is heavy, but handles EXCEPTIONALLY well (from my personal experience even better than my long gone 2010 R1200RT).  The only answer is a test ride, and unfortunately in Texas we usually don't get to test ride ANY of the Japanese brands.  That's why I don't own one of them, and I've told their dealers why. I can only vote with my wallet. :002:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline zx9landie

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2018, 09.36 am
    Aug 24, 2018, 09.36 am
    A dealer wont give a test ride -  :435: :435: :435:
    that's the main point of paying the 'extra' that a dealer charges as it's part of the expected service in the UK
    I wouldn't consider paying all that money for a bike unless I have had a decent ride out
    I'm with you - wallet stays in pocket moment for sure !

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2018, 10.06 am
    Aug 24, 2018, 10.06 am
    There's no way that I'd buy any vehicle without testing it first,....there's been a few bikes that look really good on paper but only after riding them for half an hour/an hour, the problems appear. We are all different sizes etc, there is only way to know for sure if you could live it.