Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New SE rear brake pedal travel measures 32 mm (1.25")  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
New SE rear brake pedal travel measures 32 mm (1.25")
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »
All--

Does anyone have the procedure/has anyone has anyone bleed the linked rear brake on the Trophy?  Mine has approximately 32mm (1.25") of travel before it firms up.  The dealer says another new one he has on his shop floor has about 13mm (.5") of travel.  It a 3 hour drive to the dealer so I'd really like to bleed the system my self.

Thanks,
--Papermaker

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: New SE rear brake pedal travel measures 32 mm (1.25")
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Triumph says you are supposed to use their tool and SW.  But a tech told me that in a pinch you can use conventional methodology just fine
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »
Thanks w8d4it for sharing the Tech's information.  My dealer hasn't had to bleed the brakes on an SE yet so he can't comment on the actual procedure but he did FAX a copy of rear brake bleed procedure from the service manual to me.  It uses a combination of a typical bleed procedure but includes using a Triumph test tool to open the 2nd circuit solenoid at the end of the bleed.  I will try the conventional method and see if the pedal firms up.

Thanks
--Papermaker

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
Hi All--

I bled the rear brake system last night.  There were several groups of small bubbles in the rear brake portion of the system.  I didn’t see any bubbles while bleeding the front brake portion of the system.  After I finished I check the brake lever travel.  The pedal movement decreased from 1.25 to .75 inches.  Is your Trophy pedal travel .75 inches?

I tested rode the bike this morning and found that the ABS light goes out immediately and the rear brake operates like it did before I bled the system.  There’s still the possibility that there’s air in the ABS unit.  That air may be released into the brake system as the ABS operates.  If it does enter the system I’d expect that the brake lever travel will increase.

Your thoughts?
--Papermaker

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
When I picked up my bike I noticed excess travel and softness.  I had the dealer bleed the brakes and he got bubbles similar to you.  I road the bike about a hundred miles and the softness returned.  Had the bike bled again and more bubbles were found.  Tech was surprised. But that second bleed cured the troubles.  You may have to do a repeat or two. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Update - New SE rear brake pedal travel measures 32 mm (1.25")
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »
After bleeding the rear/front brake system using a typical non-ABS method I rode the bike about 100 miles.  During the ride the brake pedal travel increase to approximately 1.25” again.  I don’t have easy access to the Triumph ABS test tool (my dealer is 3 hours away) so I decided to exercise the ABS unit by doing a few brake slides on a dirt road.  I re-bleed the entire system again and noted a small volume of air in the brake fluid at the rear caliper.  After re-bleeding the system the travel at the rear brake lever was reduced to around 0.5”.  I took another 100 mile ride and so far so good.  The lever travel is still 0.5” and the lever is very firm.

Thanks for the help,

--Papermaker

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »
Glad to hear it.  I suspected that might be the case.  After the two bleeds on my bike, this has become one of the best braking systems I have ever ridden.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST