Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: NOT SUCH A GOOD DAY, BUT MADE IT HOME ANYWAY.  (Read 2811 times)

• Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member  ‐    75
    • Topic Author

Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bluey3 & me at Priest Lake, Id.
    • Bike: K1200LT FJR1300 TTSE
    • City / Town: LACLEDE
    NOT SUCH A GOOD DAY, BUT MADE IT HOME ANYWAY.
    on: Sep 07, 2018, 04.18 am
    Sep 07, 2018, 04.18 am
    WELL IT HAPPENED.  WE WENT FOR A SHORT RIDE TODAY AND THE CLUTCH WENT OUT. NO FEEL AT THE LEVER.  WE HAD STOPPED FOR GAS AND WHEN WE WENT TO RIDE OFF NO CLUTCH JUST STALLED TRYING TO GO INTO GEAR. ANYWAY WE WERE CLOSE TO HOME. I AM NOT SURE IF IT'S THE HOSE, OR CLUTCH SLAVE AS WHEN I DID HET HER HOME AND TRIED TO BLEED IT I STILL CAN'T GET THE PRESSURE TO STAY UP VERY LONG. I WILL PULL THE FAIRIONG AND SEE IF IT'S COMONG OUT THE HOSE SOMEWHERE BUT I DON'T SEE ANY EVIDENCE F THAT AND I PUT DARN NEAR 3/4 OF A PINT IN IT. DOT 4. SO... MY SUSPICION IS IT'S IN THE SLAVE SOMEWHERE BUT AND HERE'S MY QUESTION. IF BRAKE FLUID GET'S LOOSE IN THERE CAN IT SEEP INTO THE REGULAR ENGINE VIA THE CLUTCH SOMEHOW?? I'LL CHECK THE OIL WINDOW TOMORROW AND SEE IF IT'S TOO HIGH BUT NO BIG DEAL, ONLY DID THE OILD CHAINGE THE WEEKEND BEFOR THIS PAST. I LOVE THROWING NEW OIL AWAY AND REPLACING FILTERS, RIGHT? I READ THE ARTICLE ON FIXING AND BLEEDING THE CUTCH SLAVE AND REPLACING ON HERE.  PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD JUST NEED PARTS. IS THIS A NORMAL OCCURENCE ON THESE BIKES. I SAW THE MESSED UP SEAL THAT WAS IN THE BIKE OF ERNEST T WHO WROTE THE FANTASTIC ARTICLE WITH PICTURES. SAID JOHN 348 HAD THE SAME ISSUE. DID'T GO LOOKING FOR MORE, MAY DO THAT TOO.  GLAD IT DIDN'T HAPPEN ON SATURDAY WENT WE WERE A HINDRED AND TEN MILES AWAY OVER IN MONTANA. THERE WASN'T ANY WARNING THAT I COULD FEEL EXCEPT COULDN'T GET NEUTRAL AT THE GAS STATION BUT THAT'S NORMAL WITH MY COBBLED UP FOOT SOMETIMES. IT DID FEEL FUNNY PULLING IN AND I DID SUSPECT SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT. HOPE THIS ISN'T THE START OF MORE PROBLEMS. MY DEALER TOOL HASN'T ARRIVED YET! HA!  I HAD HOPED WE COULD RIDE THIS BIKE.  THE BEEMER KEEPS ME BUSY ENOUGH WITH IT'S PROBLEMS DIDN'T NEED ANOTHER ONE.  HELLUVA WAY TO TREAT A TRIDENT GUY HIS FIRST MONTH BACK WITH BRAND! SHINY SIDE UP BOYZ.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9995

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: NOT SUCH A GOOD DAY, BUT MADE IT HOME ANYWAY.
    Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2018, 07.42 am
    Sep 07, 2018, 07.42 am
    Hi NEARMISSES,

From your description it does sound like the Slave Cylinder seal has gone.

Slave Cylinder repair kits are available as an alternative to a complete new Slave Cylinder.

Here's a Link to a kit available via eBay UK, who ship worldwide :
    Triumph Trophy 1215 / 1215 SE - Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement Seal Kit

As you've seen from the other Topics you refer to, it's not a difficult repair,
    and the Fairing does not have to come off, so I'd start with removing just the side cover
    to access the Slave Cylinder, and see what's gong on there, before pulling the Fairing off.

If the Slave Cylinder IS leaking, the Hydraulic fluid will end up contaminating the engine oil,
    and you would need to drain it all out, change the Oil Filter and replace with fresh Engine Oil.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 09.26 pm by Coconut

• Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member  ‐    75
    • Topic Author

Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2018, 05.43 pm
    Sep 07, 2018, 05.43 pm
    THANKS AGAIN COCONUT, YOU SAVED MY BACON. I WILL GET THE SEAL KIT AND OPEN UP THE SLAVE THIS AM. I WAS AFRAID THE STUFF WAS GOING TO MESS UP THAT GREAT CASTROL 4T V-TWIN OIL I PUT IN BY MISTAKE! HA!

A LITTLE AD ON HERE TRIED TO FIND A WHOLE CLUTCH SLAVE REBUILD KIT(87.88) AT THE LOCAL DEALER IN SPOKANE, THEY SAID OUT OF STOCK!  EVEN AT TRIUMPH IN ENGLAND FOR IT AND A MONTH TO GET JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU RECOMMENDED BUT THEY SAY 2 WEEKS TO A MONTH AND 41 BUCKS AMERICAN. HE TRIED TO FIND AN EQUALILENT REBUILD SLAVE SEAL KIT HERE BUT TO NO AVAIL EITHER. I GUESS THIS IS SIGNS OF THINGS NOT TO COME FOR TROPHY OWNERS. JUST LIKE THE ERIC BUELL/H-D SAGA.  THEY CONSIDER THIS BIKE A MARKETING FAILURE AND COULDN'T CARE LESS IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE. NEVER HEARD A WORD BACK ABOUT THE HEAD EITHER FROM THEM. MAKES ME THINK I MADE A YUGE MISTAKE TRUSTING TRIUMP AGAIN. SAD REALLY! I GUESS THE COTTAGE INDUSTRY THAT MAKE THE PARTS FOR ALL THE OLD BIKE CAN DIVERSIFY NOW AND MAKE THE NEW STUFF TOO! HA!
    Last Edit: Sep 07, 2018, 06.27 pm by NEARMISSES

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2018, 07.34 pm
    Sep 07, 2018, 07.34 pm
    Yes mine did it as you said.  I got a repair kit from another triumph and it was perfect.  The fluid goes into the crankcase so changed the oil and filter as well.  Not a difficult job just pull the cover off and take the slave to bits.  I found a tear in the seal in the slave that i think probably happened when it was built.  Triumph said they would fix it but I has to get the bike to a dealer so just did it myself.

• Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member  ‐    75
    • Topic Author

Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08.03 pm
    Sep 07, 2018, 08.03 pm
    YUP I KNOW WHAT YA MEAN JOHN348, A TRIP TO THE SHOP COSTS MORE THAN JUST GETTING IT DONE. I'M NOT EVEN GONNA TEAR INTO IT ANY FURTHER AT THIS TIME EXCEPT TO EMPTY THE OIL AND FILTER SO THE DOT4 DOESN'T WRECK THE CLUTCH PLATES.WELL MAYBE I'LL PULL IT OFF. WHAT THE HECK. THEN IT'S A FOR SURE BUT PARTS KIT ON THE WAY. THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A CLUTCH SLAVE KIT AT TRIUMPH ENGLAND TO BE HAD. MAYBE HERMES I SHOULD HAVE TRIED. OH WELL.   I FIGURED THE INCIDENT HAS ALL THE MARKINGS OF WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU GUYS. 

• Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member  ‐    75
    • Topic Author

Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2018, 02.19 am
    Sep 08, 2018, 02.19 am
    DECEIDED I'D REMOVE AND VERIFY AND YOU'LL BE VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS. LIKE WE EXPECTED. PHOTO SHOW'S SAME THING. PUT A PICTURE IN TOO BUT HAVE TO SEE IF IT COMES THRU OKAY.  WHY AM I SO HAPPY? WELL THE FOLKS THAT SELL THE KIT IN ENGLAND SAID IT GOES OUT MONDAY AIR MAIL. I MAY BE RIDING BEFORE OCT 18TH TO OCT 30TH LIKE THE EBAY NOTE SAID! HA!HECK IT'LL PROBABLY BE HERE BEFORE MY SMARTPOST LOWERING KIT THAT MAKING A GRAND TOUR OF EVERY STATE WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER! FUNNY THING IS IT WAS IN THE NEAREST TOWN LAST SATURDAY!  SANDPOINT, ID. BEEN HEADING WEST THE REST OF THE WEEK AND EVEN FURTHER FOR THIS WEKEND MAKING A DEBUT IN THE TOWN KENT NEAR SEATTLE! HA! TOO MUCH FUN THESE TROPHY SE's!
    Last Edit: Sep 08, 2018, 02.36 am by NEARMISSES

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9995

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2018, 07.38 am
    Sep 08, 2018, 07.38 am
    Good to hear the fault has been identified, and confirmed,
    and that the spare parts needed are on the way  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 09.25 pm by Coconut

• Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member  ‐    75
    • Topic Author

Offline NEARMISSES

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2018, 04.40 pm
    Sep 08, 2018, 04.40 pm
    THANKS FOR THE SAVE COCONUT, THE KIT ONLY COSTS 31.00 USD AND 11USD TO SHIP AIR MAILUSPO TREVOR SAID. GREAT PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH THIS I BELIEV SHOULD BE IN EVERYONES SPARES KIT ON A TRIP. WE WERE GOING TO PUT THE BIKE ON THE TRAILER THIS PAST WEEK AND GO TO YELLOWSTONE WITH IT.  WE PLANNED TO RIDE THE PARK ON BLUEY3 AND A DAY TRIP TO THE WINCHESTER MUSEUM IN CODY, WY WHICH WOUL HAVE BEEN ABOUT 280 MILES ROUND TRIP/ NOW YELLOWSTONE IS THE LAST PLACE ON EARTH YOU WANT A BREAKDOWN! I AM GOING TO DO SOME MEASURING AND SEE IF I CAN FIND JUST THE REPLACEMENT SEAL SOMEWHERE STATESIDE BUT IT'LL TAKE SOME DOING BUT I WILL SEE WHATS UT THERE. OUR ELECTRIC/HYDRAULIC CENTERSTANDS ON THE 05'LT'S WERE THOUGHT TO BE UNREPAIRABLE TO BUT!!! SOMEONE MEASURED THE SEAL AND FOUND THEM AT A PLACE IN NJ AND THROUGH NAPA AND THE LITTLE MOTOR THAT POWERS IT IS A HONDA 50 STARTED MOTOR. PROBLEM SOLVED. THIS TTSE LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOING TO SUFFER THE SAME ELECTRONIC FATE AS THAT BIKE DID IN THE WAY OF FAILURES SO... I BETTER GET ON THE STICK! THESE LITTLE CRUSH ALUMINUM WASHERS SHOULD ALSO BE AVAILABLE IN BULK PRICING BETTER THAN WHAT THE TRIUMPH/BMW PRICING IS TOO. THE HI'FLO OIL FILTERS WORK WELL AS REPLACEMENTS TOO AND ARE MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE. HAD TO BE A SOURCE FOR THESE TOO AND  ON EBAY I FOUND THEM, 5.99 SHIPPED IN USA! WHERE THERE'S A WILL, MY MOMMA USED TO SAY, THERE'S A RELATIVE OR A RELATIVILY BETTER WAY! HA! A LITTLE SATURDAY ALF HUMOR! SHINY SIDE UP BOYZ.