Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] BMW's Sales figures for 2017 if you haven't already seen them  (Read 3492 times)

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5110
    • Topic Author

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    BMW's Sales figures for 2017 if you haven't already seen them
    on: Sep 11, 2018, 10.53 pm
    Sep 11, 2018, 10.53 pm
    A short form of the report from a link on the K1600 forum:

PressClub USA Article.
    BMW Motorrad USA Outperforms Industry In 2017
    10.01.2018 Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, NJ January 10, 2018BMW Motorrad reported sales of 13,546 motorcycles for 2017, down just 1.3% from the 13,730 motorcycles sold in 2016. However, despite the slight downturn, BMW outpaced the rest of the motorcycle industry (which was down 3.2%) and its relevant competition (which was down 6.3%).

The state of the market for last year. :110:  It would seem that sales for BMW's are not as robust as I would have thought even though they did outperform some others by percent of decline for the year.  Kind of surprised me.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Re: BMW's Sales figures for 2017 if you haven't already seen them
    Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2018, 08.50 am
    Sep 22, 2018, 08.50 am
    Well, BMW might outperform the industry in the US. The worldwide show displays a little bit of a different story. -10% revenue worldwide with 89k bikes produced. -23% profit.
    Then again, who cares? It's BMW. Funny thing is that Triumph produces 65k annually, which seems about a third to half of BMW's production numbers. Plenty of room to grow for Triumph to maybe go around and try to latch on to fleet sales for perhaps police...
    If you think about it, it makes sense. They have the 1215cc engine with that 10k miles service interval which is perfect for fleets. All they would need is a not too heavy bike with fairings...  :164: :164:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10202

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2018, 04.37 pm
    Sep 22, 2018, 04.37 pm
    All they would need is a not too heavy bike with fairings...

All they would need is an UPDATED not too heavy bike with fairings,
    perhaps with the updates that the Explorer had,
    many of which were suggested by our Forum Members for "our" Bikes !

Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 09.08 pm by Coconut

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1338

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2018, 02.26 am
    Sep 23, 2018, 02.26 am
    Coconut, we live in hope. Hope Triumph hears our pleas, hope they react to our needs. Hope, that one word throws up so much despair for world in general. But I'll still hang in there with hope. On another matter. If by chance you get the opportunity to pick up a copy of the current, Vol.68, No 06, 13-26 Sept. 2018. If by chance you do, you might find the Editors Desk interesting. Just saying worth a look. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, just saying. Cheers. :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline HACKLE   au

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2018, 04.03 am
    Sep 23, 2018, 04.03 am
    Like a silly old fool, I forgot to mention the magazine is the Australian Motorcycle News. It's published fortnightly and is commonly referred to as The Green Horror, or just The Horror. The reasoning behind this is that when the original magazine, in large newsprint paper format, came out after the Second World War, the only paper available for George Lynne, [Editor] was green in colour. Also the layout and continuity of the articles were horrible. Hence it's been called  The Green Horror ever since. Just a little bit of trivia for you. Cheers. :158:

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2018, 11.59 am
    Sep 23, 2018, 11.59 am
    Come on Hackle, dont be shy. What have you been up to? We all want to hear.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10202

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2018, 01.48 pm
    Sep 23, 2018, 01.48 pm
    Hackle : It's unlikely that I'll see a copy of that Issue over here in the UK !

Can you Share the contents of the article with us ?

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 09.08 pm by Coconut

• Offline HACKLE   au

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02.26 am
    Sep 24, 2018, 02.26 am
    Well as you asked so nicely, I'll try. No past and post from me, just typing. The only bit that the editor got wrong was the part about Elwyn [wife] riding her own bike. She doesn't ride at all. Just pillions with me.

ed's desk.
           CHRIS DOBIE.

The Long Ride.

There are times when I forget how long this magazine has been around. And then I take a phone call from one of the many great characters who have spent decades making the fortnightly pilgrimage to their local newsagency to enjoy the latest efforts from the dedicated team at Gassit HQ.
             Graham Harris had called to enquire about his Gassit Pack after he donated a jacket to the AMCN Winter Jacket Drive but, as often happens, we were soon talking all things motorcycling. He told me about his membership to FarRiders, which requires a ride of 1000km or more to be competed in a 24-hour period. Tough, but not impossible.
             It turns out Graham does this on a regular basis. He recently rode from Melbourne to the Adelaide Hills for a friends birthday, leaving in the early hours of the morning to arrive in time for the lunchtime festivities. But 1000km is a walk in the park for someone like Graham, who has punched out a couple of thousand kays in a 24-hour period- needless to say, he's also a member of the Iron Butt Association.
            Graham seems to love this stuff, and it's a passion shared by his wife, who not only enjoys long stints as a pillion but the challenge of chasing the magic 1000km in 24 hours on her own bike. Graham's ride of choice is a Triumph Trophy, but he's yet to forgive the British marque for dropping the model from its current range. Among the long list of previously owned machines is a BMW R 1200 GS Adventure and a Yamaha Super Tenere, which were both good for 1600km days in the saddle.
             So the next time I start to complain about long hours on the road, I'll think about Graham. He not only rides all year round, regardless of the weather [I promised a shameless plug for his heated gear made by the Higgins family from Warm & Safe Australia], but is also 70 years old and has been reading AMCN since it was a newspaper-style publication.
             What a legend.

So there you have it. The Higgins family don't make, but are the Australian distributors of Warm & Safe Heated riding clothing. But the part I really liked was the reference to not forgiving Triumph re the dropping of the Trophy. I know the Australian distributor is aware of this editorial, I wonder if Triumph Britain is. To say I was mildly chuffed regarding this editorial would be correct. The Winter Jacket Drive, is about donating old bike jackets to the homeless to help thwart off the cold in winter. A very worthy cause.
          As always, cheers.  :821: :158:

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060