Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Resale value  (Read 4740 times)

• Offline Waddylincs

• Non Active
    • Trophy Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline Waddylincs

• Non Active
    • Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE Launch
    • City / Town: Lincoln
    Resale value
    on: Sep 13, 2018, 09.06 am
    Sep 13, 2018, 09.06 am
    I was just wondering if owners had any idea of their bike's dwindling value since Triumph's decision to discontinue the Trophy? I have a 2012 SE Launch model with 1 private owner (me) and a fully-documented Triumph service history with low miles.
    After 5 years of happy ownership, I decided to put it up for sale recently at £6500 - this was based on a dealer price of £6999 on a similar bike. The wind was taken out of my sails a week later when I saw a 2013 SE advertised for nearly a grand less! I then enquired about it's trade-in value - just £4750!!
    I clearly remember that the Trophy was launched in a blaze of glory with superlative reviews which heralded the bike as the market leader in its segment. What a different story today as the bike seems to be unloved and undesirable.
    Although WE all know how good the bike is of course!
    I wish I'd had taken the opportunity to trade-in for a K1600GT plus £1000 2 years ago. I can't imagine that bike would have slipped to the level of the Trophy.
    I should be grateful I guess that I got a good discount when I decided to buy an ex-demo. If I'd paid full retail, then the depreciation would be unbelievable.

• Offline Mongoose

• Trophy Member  ‐    74

Offline Mongoose

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 TT 1200SE
    • City / Town: Lancashire
    Re: Resale value
    Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2018, 10.24 am
    Sep 13, 2018, 10.24 am
    Buying new is always a gamble as 20% of the purchase price is VAT, so you lose a 5th of the value of the bike the second you drive it out of the showroom.  I take your point about the K1600, but before buying my TT last month, I toyed with the idea of a K16 and there were lots around starting at £7500. I was offered a 2015 model for under 10k and the new cost with extras was somewhere near 17/18k!  A couple of dealers were saying that they didn't like taking them in part ex as they were difficult to shift and one dealer had sold and bought back the same bike twice in 12 months as the buyers found it too heavy!
    2013 TT se in Dark Blue

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2018, 11.28 am
    Sep 13, 2018, 11.28 am
    Personally I never think about resale value when buying any vehicle, I'm more concerned about being happy with it, hope that it's reliable etc.

I generally keep a vehicle for many years, my last bike cost me 5k, 13 years later I traded it in for my Trophy, it were only worth 1k max but so what? Motoring is expensive however you look at it.

• Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member  ‐    98

Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Andover
    Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06.50 pm
    Sep 13, 2018, 06.50 pm
    I do have a great deal of sympathy for those who have paid full price when the bike was launched, on the flip side I bought myTT a year ago for 5 grand!!! What a bargain, best 5k I have ever spent for such a brilliant bike with so many toys to make a long ride a piece of wee wee 😁

• Offline Waddylincs

• Non Active
    • Trophy Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline Waddylincs

• Non Active
    • Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE Launch
    • City / Town: Lincoln
    Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07.20 pm
    Sep 13, 2018, 07.20 pm
    Well, well done you! As you say, what a bargain at five grand. Just goes to prove my point really.
    Don't know about wee wee - makes me want to weep weep!

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    950

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2018, 08.46 am
    Sep 15, 2018, 08.46 am
    Bought my "standard" bike in 2013 for £13k. Now with 70,000 miles I guess it is worth about £4000 if I'm lucky. I have had some wonderful experiences enjoying the bikes depreciation!

• Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro  ‐    181

Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Boston, Lincolnshire
    Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2018, 02.53 pm
    Sep 18, 2018, 02.53 pm
    I felt let down by Triumph a few months ago when my bike left me stranded (common ignition fault) and I 'fell out of love' with the brand.

Went to test ride a BMW R1200rt (which was nothing special by the way) but was told that they wouldn't take my bike in P X as they just can't shift them!

:003:

• Offline TrickyWoo56

• Trophy Member  ‐    49

Offline TrickyWoo56

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE, K1300S
    • City / Town: Brighton
    Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2018, 09.30 pm
    Sep 18, 2018, 09.30 pm
    Not touching Trumpets again.

Love the bike but...

2nd gear was borked when I bought it at 15k miles and it had previously occurred with the previous owner at 8k. So two 2nd gear fails in 15k.

Recent service included replacing camshaft, buckets, links etc at £1700. And thatís only because I called a halt to more work.

The other work required Iíve had done by a T. expert in Wales eg fork seals at £160 all in fitted, main dealer wanted £500.

Next bike will be Jap.

Itís outside my hotel now and Iíll be up in 6 hours at 0400 to ride 160 miles home and it will start ...because itís been on bloody charge. Again.

Great bike - made of chocolate parts.

(Iíve done 12,000 miles on mine in 13 months so year round in light snow etc just as it should be ready, willing and able for. It isnít.)
    Last Edit: Sep 18, 2018, 09.37 pm by TrickyWoo56