Rider/Pillion talky talky by Phil
[Yesterday at 06:32:31 PM]

Another Fall Foliage Ride Today by Michel1960
[Yesterday at 05:06:07 PM]

Those inventive and clever Germans by Wilko
[November 19, 2018, 05:48:33 PM]

Wheel Bearings by Wilko
[November 19, 2018, 05:36:28 PM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Triumph think the Touring Market is dead - BMW DON'T !  (Read 2213 times)

Online ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gouda
Re: Triumph think the Touring Market is dead - BMW DON'T !
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by nervouswreck [+]
... What are the options? ...
RT is an option, another trophy, perhaps? Low miles goldwing? BMW K-series? Harley? Honda Crosstourer? KTM Superduke GT?
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 01:03:52 AM »
 Why not see if you can pickup a Trophy still in the crate. Bring it home, store it, then get it assembled when you need it. :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE/14 F800GT
  • City / Town: NEPA
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
I was out with a buddy who was  looking for newer wing.  The used bike dealer had a 15 Trophy with only 600 miles on it on the lot.  I asked how he came by the bike.  His reply was at an auction.  He was asking 10995.00.  I was/am tempted, but mine is running great and to buy one for the future and let it sit around is not a great idea, I think. I didn't ask about trading mine (blue) for his (black) but thinking at 10995.00 I doubt the difference would be appealing.

Wings, other than the 18s are just too big as are the Harleys.  Not familiar with a Crosstourer, I'm guessing the Super Duke would be too tall for me.  The XR Low is an appealing bike just not sure I would be happy with it.  Without all the goodies that the Trophy has the Tiger is rather expensive.

You know it really would be a good idea if a person could find a crated Trophy and store it for the future.

Offline Jlewis50

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumphs
  • City / Town: Summerville
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »
A Harley Street  glide is a very nice bike and a great tourer. It’s center of gravity is much lower than the Trophy.  It is the best selling bike for Harley.
I tested one and liked it.

Online ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »
I've ridden the Crosstourer. The mill is lovely, but the frame doesn't do it justice. Plan on buying a set of aftermarket, progressive springs and a non-standard shock. Also, she's quite a thirsty lady doing about 35 mpg with relaxed driving.
The superduke GT isn't a tall bike per se. Not taller than a trophy with a stock seat on high setting.

If I were able to spend my own money on a new bike and I had money to spend, I'd testdrive a BMW K1600b, Yamaha FJR and KTM Superduke GT back to back and decide.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

Offline Emerson

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy
  • City / Town: Chicago
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jlewis50 [+]
A Harley Street  glide is a very nice bike and a great tourer. It’s center of gravity is much lower than the Trophy.  It is the best selling bike for Harley.
I tested one and liked it.
I have an older Street Glide and a Trophy. Its like comparing a '57 Chevy with a pushrod, aircooled 283 with...something current. I have fun on the SGlide, fun up to about 55 mph and love how I feel on it... however  I get on the Trophy and still marvel at it. From the riding perspective the Trophy is superior in every way, costs less to purchase, and feels as good 250 miles into the day as at the start of it. I've spent several thousand miles on GS's and RT's, owned a K12RS- fine vehicles to tell the truth but IMHO not the same dynamic as the Triumph. Character wise? Not even close. I do however get compliments on the Street Glide (in the same shade of blue as the TTSE) nearly every time out.
“In the end, today is forever, yesterday is still today, and tomorrow is already today.”

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by ikkieman [+]
If I were able to spend my own money on a new bike and I had money to spend, I'd testdrive a BMW K1600b, Yamaha FJR and KTM Superduke GT back to back and decide.

I got to do an extended test ride on the K1600b (Grand America version) and came away majorly disappointed.  I love the looks of them but the ergos were horrible, just horrible.  My hips and knees were in severe pain by the end of the ride.  I really thought that it might be my next bike but no way now.

The KTM is fascinating but a non-starter for me due to the chain drive. 
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Online ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »
BMW has announced that on the coming EICMA (next week, Milan motorshow) they'll do 6 world premiers.
My best guess:
  • S1000rr
  • R1250GSA
  • R1250R
  • F850GT with connectivity as option
  • Scooters, electric option available with connectivity
  • S1000r or XR