Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Center Stand and Achilles Tendons  (Read 994 times)

Offline DrSteve

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMWGS,Duc, Trophy
  • City / Town: Weaverville
Re: Center Stand and Achilles Tendons
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement!
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

Offline Captainslow

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Poole
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
I suffered a similar situation some months ago. Fortunately I didn't break the tendon, I think I tore the calf muscle. The pain was the worst I have ever experienced. It took a few weeks to rest and recover and be able to walk normally.

I have found the solution is to put my heel on the stand, rather than the ball of my foot. That way I can apply all my weight on the stand - the other foot briefly lifts off the floor - without risking the tendon and muscle. It works fine this way. I only weigh 70kg and I can get the bike on the stand every time.

Offline jaapvanthoff

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE my2014
  • City / Town: Rotterdam
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »
I have found the solution is to put my heel on the stand, rather than the ball of my foot

That is a smart idea! no mechanical torque on the mussels. :047:
TTSE bleu
Dneper MT 16
ex: BMW R1200RT :-))
Some Saabs, Daimler serie 3

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by brenchley [+]
Someone wrote about something similar on the NHTSA website.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/TRIUMPH/TROPHY

That was ME brenchley!!!  I ruptured my Achilles tendon the same way - so DrSteve, I feel your pain!!!  Here's my story, and I posted on this forum about it too!

"YESTERDAY (17 JUN 2014 ABOUT 4 PM) AT A TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLE DEALERSHIP, LOOKING AT A NEW 2014 TRIUMPH TROPHY SE MOTORCYCLE IN THE SHOWROOM:

STANDING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE MOTORCYCLE: I WENT TO PUT IT UP ON THE CENTER STAND WITH MY RIGHT FOOT/BODY WEIGHT (6'-2" & 185 LBS) ON THE PROTRUDING PUSH-DOWN PEG OF THE CENTER STAND, AND LIFT THE REAR OF THE BIKE SIMULTANEOUSLY BY HOLDING ON TO THE LEFT PASSENGER HAND HOLD, WITH MY RIGHT HAND (AS DIRECTED BY SALES PERSON WITH ME). WHEN INSTEAD OF THE MOTORCYCLE SHIFTING UP ONTO THE CENTER STAND, MY RIGHT LEG ACHILLES TENDON POPPED /RUPTURED. I HEARD A POPPING/TEARING NOISE AND IMMEDIATE PAIN, LIKE HIT THERE BY A HAMMER.

I WORK OUT REGULARLY AND DO TOE RAISES (20 X 3 SETS) WHILE HOLDING 80 PDS OF WEIGHTS 3X WEEK - STRONG LEGS AND MUSCLES, ALONG WITH GOOD STRETCHING OF THE ACHILLES TENDONS AND CALVE MUSCLES.

I WAS GIVEN A ZIP LOCK BAG WITH ICE TO APPLY: THEN I WAS TAKEN TO THE LOCAL URGENT CARE CENTER FOR DIAGNOSIS AND IMMEDIATE TREATMENT BY ANOTHER EMPLOYEE.

SO, I FIGURE THIS MIGHT BE A NEW CENTER STAND DESIGN FLAW, I'VE PUT MANY MOTORCYCLES ON CENTER STANDS BEFORE WITHOUT BEING INJURED IN THE PROCESS; MAYBE A RE-DESIGN NOT THOROUGHLY TESTED AFTER THE PREVIOUS RECALL, THAT ISN'T LEVERED PROPERLY FOR APPROPRIATE HUMAN FORCE TO DO IT WITHOUT POSSIBILITY OF INJURY, THUS SHOULD BE REPORTED FOR FURTHER SCRUTINY TO PREVENT SIMILAR INJURY TO OTHERS.

IS THERE A STANDARD FOR HOW MUCH FORCE IS REQUIRED TO PUT A MOTORCYCLE ON A CENTER STAND? SHOULD THERE BE ELECTRIC OR HYDRAULIC ASSISTS MECHANISMS FOR DOING THIS AND REDUCING THE RISK OF INJURY OR MOTORCYCLE TIPPING DAMAGE IN THE PROCESS TO MAKE DOING THIS CENTER-STAND SUPPORT PROCEDURE SAFER?"

And I needed a second surgery on it last year (+ 3 years from injury) to remove the big suture knot that was trying to wear through the skin from the inside and smoothen other roughly healed areas of the tendon.

Look at aftermarket electric center stands...

Triumph also sent Mr. Carleo from Triumph USA (Atlanta, GA) to examine the motorcycle, and invited me to be there - it was all videotaped professionally, etc...  Nothing ever came of it as far as compensation.  Product liability/injury lawyers said not historically enough payout for this kind of injury (less than $100,000)  for them to pursue it with me.

Yup, takes a while to heal, and definitely go to physical therapy!

And I encourage you to also report your injury to the National Transportation Safety Administration on their website as I did - one way to get this looked at better here in the USA by people who can help "fix" this.  https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/TRIUMPH/TROPHY
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:04:52 PM by av8or-dave »
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Captainslow [+]
I suffered a similar situation some months ago. Fortunately I didn't break the tendon, I think I tore the calf muscle. The pain was the worst I have ever experienced. It took a few weeks to rest and recover and be able to walk normally.

I have found the solution is to put my heel on the stand, rather than the ball of my foot. That way I can apply all my weight on the stand - the other foot briefly lifts off the floor - without risking the tendon and muscle. It works fine this way. I only weigh 70kg and I can get the bike on the stand every time.

Good advice.

EXPERIENCE = is information you learned the hard way, usually just right after you needed the correct knowledge to begin with to avoid a bad experience!
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Offline jaapvanthoff

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE my2014
  • City / Town: Rotterdam
TTSE bleu
Dneper MT 16
ex: BMW R1200RT :-))
Some Saabs, Daimler serie 3

Offline DrSteve

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMWGS,Duc, Trophy
  • City / Town: Weaverville
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
Thanks!  I look into these options that might work.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »
Here I was thinking of purchasing something like this "Wheel Dolly" device to lift the rear wheel so the center stand can be lowered and the wheel dropped.  Now I ride up a stack of plywood pieces to raise the rear wheel about 1.5-2" so the final lift onto the center stand is easier.  I only use the center stand for service (as of now).

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Self-Loading-Automotive-Dolly/dp/B001W1UFV0
https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lbs-capacity-vehicle-positioning-wheel-dolly-62234.html