Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: EBC discs  (Read 1230 times)

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
EBC discs
« on: September 24, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »
I tried posting this and it seems to have got lost! Hope admin can assist if this is duplicated.
The time has come to replace all 3 discs on my 2013 machine. Triumoh wanted about £600 for 3 supplied only. I have a friend in the trade who could get 10% off but still a bit salty. (Yes I know its the brakes!!)
He got me 3 EBC rotors for £286 which is quite a saving. I haven't got the wheels back in yet as I am having new tyres fittted, so can't report on how they compare, but I am not hard on the brakes so will see how they go and report back.

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: EBC discs
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
I'll certainly be interested in the feedback. :002:

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:35:13 AM »
I had the infamous brake shudder with my Triumph discs, so I replaced them (front only) with EBCs. They aren't "Honda smooth," but they're much better than my OEMs. I'm assuming you didn't have problems with your Triumph discs, so it'll be interesting to hear your comparison.

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jeffb [+]
I had the infamous brake shudder with my Triumph discs, so I replaced them (front only) with EBCs. They aren't "Honda smooth," but they're much better than my OEMs. I'm assuming you didn't have problems with your Triumph discs, so it'll be interesting to hear your comparison.

Now did you keep on top of the OEM's bobbins cleaning wise in the first place?

I'm just wondering if any of the OEM disks don't end up warping if the owner keeps them bobbins free??

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »
I try to clean the bobbins regularly, and have had a slight shudder on rare occasions that cleaning seemed to solve.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
Now did you keep on top of the OEM's bobbins cleaning wise in the first place?

I'm just wondering if any of the OEM disks don't end up warping if the owner keeps them bobbins free??

Yes, thanks to this site, I had checked and cleaned the bobbins. None of them had frozen up, and I couldn't tell any difference when I had finished. That's also when the shuddering wasn't too bad, just annoying. Later, near the end of a 10 day trip, the brakes started shuddering to the point that I felt they were unsafe. It went from annoying to very bad in just the span of a day or two of riding. After getting home and messing with them for awhile, I ended up buying EBC rotors and pads.

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Ford City, PA.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 02:09:37 AM »
Put the EBC on my 2015 and there have been fine for about 5000 miles now. Went thru two sets of Triumph discs before putting the EBC discs on. :152:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:12:22 AM by Tenequip »

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 04:31:09 AM »
*GULP*  :084:

I made the dealer replace my front ones just as I bought it, but Tigee has just developed the same problem and just 18,000klms and of course has just run out of warranty.  :151:
2013 Trophy SE
2015 Tiger Explorer
2012 650 V-Strom

tweedy-bunch