Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: The Dreaded Voltage issues - Main Fuse  (Read 3088 times)

• Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Enniskillen
    The Dreaded Voltage issues - Main Fuse
    on: Sep 29, 2018, 04.21 am
    Sep 29, 2018, 04.21 am
    Ok folks, tech question time.
    I bought my 2013 TTSE in May from an independent local dealer. From the start, she was giving a low voltage warning, even while riding. A visit to my local Triumph dealership indicated that it wasnít charging properly.

Whilst I was away for the summer, the local independent dealer took the bike in for some warranty work and during that he replaced the battery and sent the alternator away for testing. It came back with perfect results. He traced the problem to the main fuse sited on top of the battery and found that the holder had distorted with heat giving a low voltage across the fuse. Iíve only spoken with the shop by phone but I believe that he replaced the fuse and had the bike running for a number of miles on a test run with great results.

I returned home yesterday and was keen to start the bike but a short time after doing so the battery warning light came on and I got the battery low warning in the display. On checking the main fuse, it was quite hot, as was the wire to the positive terminal. I restarted the bike and checked the voltage on either side of the fuse before the warning light came on and got a reading of 12v which dropped to sporadic readings of between 3 and 11v after the warning displayed.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the main fuse?
    If so, what did you do to correct the issues?

Thanks for any replies.

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: The Dreaded Voltage issues - Main Fuse
    Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2018, 07.27 am
    Sep 29, 2018, 07.27 am
    Heat in the wiring (or near to njunction boxes, switches,  fuses etc) is normally due to the wire being too thžn or loose connections. Could it be the main fuse was a little loose in its holder causing heat build up? I think this part of the wiring harness can   be bought seperately, but not inaposition to check at the minute

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2018, 11.08 am
    Sep 29, 2018, 11.08 am
    Have a look at this Topic : Headlight minor flicker - wiring loom issue ?

There are some Photo's of the Battery Wiring Loom,
    and discussion of corrosion at the terminal(s), which might explain your probem ?

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2020, 05.31 pm by Coconut

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    136

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Ford City, PA.
    Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2018, 02.31 am
    Oct 10, 2018, 02.31 am
    Recently experienced a melt down of Trophyís mail fuse. Bike was fine and then all of the sudden it would not start. Turn key and everything is dead. Checked fuses all ok, main fuse case showed signs of high temperature and battery was reading 12.7 volts. Closer look revealed main fuse had melted. Donít want to just replace fuse and have this happen again. What is causing this problem? Also, how can the glove box be opened with ignition switch not working?

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07.58 am
    Oct 10, 2018, 07.58 am
    Presumably it's the plastic moulding surrounding the fuse that's melted,
    or the Fuse holder - Indicating it has become very hot over a period of time.

I would suspect this is a result of poor electrical connection(s).

This / these could be within the fuseholder itself, so I would check those if you can,
    both where the wires are attached to the "Blade holders" and where the Fuse "Blades"
    fit into the holders, to make sure they all fit securely.

You'll probably need a new Fuseholder now anyway -
    or even the complete Battery Harness ( See later ).

Also check that both of the main Battery terminals are clean and tight.

If the Fuseholder & Battery connections are all good, look at the Alternator terminal connections,
    and also the Ground connection{s) to ensure they are all clean and tight, with no signs of corrosion.

Headlights Flickering at Idle

Glove Box - See this Topic, particularly the most recent Posts, for more information :

Locked Glove Box.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2020, 05.31 pm by Coconut

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2018, 01.49 pm
    Oct 10, 2018, 01.49 pm
    You may be able to squeeze the two edges of the glove box cover together at the point where the release button is and get enough clearance on the catch to get it open.  I opened mine like that once when the battery was dead a long time ago due to the US satellite radio software issue.  Yeah, I know, so what good is the locking feature?  Keeps us from opening it while on the road and having some interference with the hands/handlebars when riding.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    136

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2018, 12.32 am
    Oct 12, 2018, 12.32 am
    *Originally Posted by Tenequip [+]
    Recently experienced a melt down of Trophyís mail fuse. Bike was fine and then all of the sudden it would not start. Turn key and everything is dead. Checked fuses all ok, main fuse case showed signs of high temperature and battery was reading 12.7 volts. Closer look revealed main fuse had melted. Donít want to just replace fuse and have this happen again. What is causing this problem? Also, how can the glove box be opened with ignition switch not working?

Update: Finally got the main fuse out of the holder and it was literally melted and fuse holder beyond repair. Ordered fuse case & wire here locally and found that they are on back order in UK with a 2 to 3 week wait. Good news: stuck a paper clip in main fuse case, turned on ignition, able to get the glove box open, and get my hearing aids out.

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    136

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2018, 01.55 am
    Nov 11, 2018, 01.55 am
    *Originally Posted by Tenequip [+]
    Update: Finally got the main fuse out of the holder and it was literally melted and fuse holder beyond repair. Ordered fuse case & wire here locally and found that they are on back order in UK with a 2 to 3 week wait. Good news: stuck a paper clip in main fuse case, turned on ignition, able to get the glove box open, and get my hearing aids out.

Second update: Well, after I realized I needed to remove the gas tank to install the harness, decided I may as well do the 30,000 miles service (31,000 on bike). Which I had planned for this winter anyways. So ordered all the parts and a set of R&G crash bars. Found out, here on the forum, that the crash bars were on sale for 20% off (perfect timing). Went ahead and took the gas tank off, which ready is not too bad a job. Changed the oil, air, and fuel filters and changed/checked the fluids. Installed R&G crash bars, which fit on nicely and were made with quality construction, but the mounting bolts are difficult to get at.
    Didnít see a real cause for the harness meltdown, connections seemed ok as did the wiring. I do have two extra connections to the battery terminals, trickle charger and heated jacket leads, which surely donít help. Cleaned, filed to raw metal, and greased the connections, which seemed to make the starter livelier and no flicker in the lights at idle. Would like to thank you guys in the forum who posted the ď how toísĒ and the tip on the crash bars pricing. :187: