Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Coolant leak not the usual suspects  (Read 5177 times)

• Offline Etitanic

• Trophy Member  ‐    66
    • Topic Author

Offline Etitanic

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Edmonton
    Coolant leak not the usual suspects
    on: Sep 29, 2018, 11.43 pm
    Sep 29, 2018, 11.43 pm
    Well I need the expertise of the members of this forum. One day this week rode to work on my 2014 SE with 20k on the odometer. Been running great all year, no issues. Noticed a smell that I thought I should recognize but just could not re member. Drove about 20 kilometres and when I parked it on my driveway, looked down and seen coolant running from the bottom of the bike by the area near the oil filter. Did not have time to investigate and just parked the bike once the fluid stopped dripping. Today went out after reading all the information regarding coolant leaks on this forum and proceeded to do some of easy checks. Looked at the expansion bottle cap – okay. The level was at the max level. So started the bike up and let the temperature rise until the fans turned on. That’s when noticed the coolant starting to flow out of a hose that ended at the area of the oil filter. Once the temperature dropped the fluid stopped flowing. Attached a picture of the hose. I think I am correct that this hose is from the radiator cap – am I
    So any ideas, valve in the radiator cap not functioning or something else. I know that is not a loose hose. Before I a) strip the panels off and remove the gas tank or b) make a trip to the dealer (shudder) does anyone have a suggestion? Attached a picture.
    Thanks
    Ed

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Re: Coolant leak not the usual suspects
    Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2018, 01.17 am
    Sep 30, 2018, 01.17 am
    My dealer replaced my radiator cap as a precaution.  He did not like how it looked.  I did not see it but trusted his opinion.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2018, 07.35 am
    Sep 30, 2018, 07.35 am
    Certainly points to a faulty cap, apart from overfilling the system in the first place, I can't think of anything else.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9767

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2018, 07.59 am
    Sep 30, 2018, 07.59 am
    I would also suspect the Radiator Cap - It's purpose is as a Pressure relief valve,
    and will ( should ) Open if the Pressure in the Cooling System exceeds 1.1 Bar.

As the engine heats up, pressure increases, so if either the valve is faulty and opening too early,
    or one of the seals is defective, coolant could be expelled via that pipe.

There are two seals on the Radiator Cap as shown below -
    Don't remove the Cap unless the engine is COLD !

While it may be possible to replace faulty seals, it's probably easier and quicker
    to replace the Radiator Cap ( Part Number T2108005 - around £10.00 ) if there's any doubt.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2020, 05.45 pm by Coconut

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08.06 am
    Sep 30, 2018, 08.06 am
    With regards to the overflow pipe the coolant is coming from. Have you traced it back to its origin, ie the radiator filler neck area or expansion tank even. I dont know how many pipes there are , but suspect it will be from the filller cap neck of the rad. That said, I would replace the cap, top up the coolant and run the bike to see what happens. As there is no leak until the engine gets hot, this seems to be a good starting point

• Offline Etitanic

• Trophy Member  ‐    66
    • Topic Author

Offline Etitanic

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Edmonton
    Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2018, 04.16 pm
    Sep 30, 2018, 04.16 pm
    Thanks for the information, looks like I got a winter project. I will get a cap it is cheap and then start the dismantle of the faring and gas tank. I will post what I find but it may be month or two or three - snow comes early around here. :161:
    Ed

• Offline Travelling2bob   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Sale
    Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2018, 09.45 pm
    Sep 30, 2018, 09.45 pm
    Interesting issue which I've had the reverse symptoms. I noticed very small issue of coolant on start up, while on side stand, on very cold Canberra morning (sub zero temperatures). I've checked the cooling system with fairings off with no leaks once warmed up (thermostat open). Removed then replaced same radiator cap with no further leaks.

As a precaution I'll replace the radiator cap.

Btw the coolant expansion tank closure system is pretty poor IMHO.
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Triumph Trophy SE
    Triumph Thunderbird 1600
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Ducati ST3

• Offline 2slowTrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1311

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Dallas TX
    Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2018, 05.15 pm
    Oct 02, 2018, 05.15 pm
    I had the same thing a leak coming out under by the oil filter.
    But Upon further inspection it looks like the radiator hose clamp leaking from where it Attached to the back of the motor.
    So I tightened up the hose clamp.
     Come to find out he would only leak when the motor was warm. I found upon replacing the radiator hose from the radiator cap to the back of the motor a few extremely small pinholes in the radiator hose. I just finished replacing the hose this weekend and let the Trophy run until it got within two bars of being hot And I had no leak. But I have not had the chance to ride it yet.
    I have 30,000 miles on my 2014.
    Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018, 05.18 pm by 2slowTrophy
    IBA # 59602
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's