Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dorset to Holland for the weekend  (Read 215 times)

Offline andcro

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Swanage
Dorset to Holland for the weekend
« on: October 01, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
I've just done a very quick run to Holland for the weekend, bit daft really as I spent a day getting there and a day coming back leaving just one day to explore the Delta Works, but I wanted a good long run on the TTSE.

Economy was good up in the high 50's, comfort was fine and plenty of luggage space as you all know - that meant my fellow rider on his Tiger 800 could chuck some bits in the top box.

Considering the weight of the bike, it does amaze me how well it handles, it's just that initial getting off the stand (side and main) which remind you how heavy it is.

I had a lovely surprise as I exited a gas station in Belgium - a silver Trophy came alongside, we rode for a bit before he left the motorway - I have to admit they are lovely looking machines.

I used the cruise control extensively on the long stretches of motorway - it behaved flawlessly. I also made good use of the stereo and had no problem hearing it at motorway speeds around 130kph.

I had one worry and that was the right fork seal looks like it started leaking in Ghent, I initially put it down to the cobbled streets but now appears to have sealed up again, will have to take a look at this - any idea if it's a DIY job?

The only other complaint is when doing about 90kph in top - the whine is terrible, increase the speed 10kph and it goes - so with so many 90kph zones on the run I spent a fair bit of time in 5th.

Before leaving I swapped out the Garmin mount and fitted a Tomtom rider 400, what an excellent piece of kit - once paired with your phone the traffic information is fantastic. We were grid locked in Antwerp and it got us out of there very quickly.

Thoroughly recommend the Deltaworks area if you are in Holland - very interesting and scenic!
you can't buy happiness but you can buy a motorcycle - which is the same thing :-)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Dorset to Holland for the weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »
Regarding Fork Seals -

Another Member first posted this, but I can't locate that Topic right now .....

Fork Seals can start leaking if "crud" gets under the lip of the seal,
but in some cases the crud can be cleaned out, restoring the effectiveness of the Seal.

There are special cleaning tools you can buy cheaply to clean the seals without dismantling the fork :

Google for "Seal Mate", "Seal Buddy" or similar products -
plenty of videos available showing what to do ! :028:

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:24:10 PM by Coconut »
Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 07:14:04 PM »

Offline andcro

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
Coconut/Earthman - thanks for your responses, I do have a seal mate but I'm just thinking longer term. If fork oil has leaked then I'll need to top it up and at that stage depending on how difficult the process is I might well change the seal. I think it might have only leaked a few ml's so hopefully nothing too serious.
you can't buy happiness but you can buy a motorcycle - which is the same thing :-)

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »
andcro. Now you just know your "pissing" me off with stories like this. Just kidding. I'm as jealous as all hell. Three days, one to get there, one for a look and one to come home, perfect. Made all the more pleasurable on a Trophy. The noise issue can be solved by using a set of very good ear plugs. That is if your not using them already. My helmet doesn't go on my head without the plugs going in my ears. At 70 I should be wearing a hearing aid. But the pain of fitting then removing every time I get on and of the bike gives me the s..ts. I just have to remember not to shout at people when I'm supposed to be talking. All good though.

But your still "pissing" me of with your ease of "going" overseas for a great 3 day ride.

I'm so envious.  :821: :158:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline andcro

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »
Hackle - the trouble is with ear plugs I can't hear the music  :153:

tweedy-bunch