Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Institute of Advanced Motorcycling  (Read 4943 times)

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939
    • Topic Author

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Institute of Advanced Motorcycling
    on: Oct 15, 2018, 08.02 pm
    Oct 15, 2018, 08.02 pm
    I'm not normally one for blowing my own trumpet, but am feeling rather proud after this weekend ....

I'm now a fully paid up and qualified Member of the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists ( IAM ),
    who I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone that wants to improve their riding skills,
    and become a better, safer rider.  ( Other organisations are available ! ).

Those familiar with my motorcycling history will know that I lost my elder brother to a Bike crash
    just over 16 years ago, which I had to deal with and come to terms with,
    and for a while I stopped riding altogether to save my parents anxiety - as I was now their eldest Son.

After my Parents had passed away I returned to motorcycling on a Launch Model Trophy,
    and after just 6 months managed to crash it quite spectacularly  :138:
    I genuinely thought, as I slid along the road, verge and hedgerow,
    that I was about to join my Brother !  :159:

But enough of that, 3 and a bit years later, with the Trophy being discontinued,
    I could afford the Insurance Premium again, and missed the thrill of the Trophy Triple,
    so I bought one of the last Trophy bikes available.

I first became aware of the Courses that IAM offer from another Forum Member ( Vansflyer ),
    who lives not far from me, and who I met up with after announcing my return to riding,
    when he offered to take me out for a ride and a chat ......
    My confidence needed some restoration, and my Riding skills needed improvement !

Vansflyer encouraged me to join a local IAM group,
    and I signed up for the Advanced Bike Course - I'm so glad I followed his advice.  :169:

After a number of "Observed Rides" with my allocated "Observer" / Tutor / Mentor,
    ( who is a Harley Rider, but don't hold that against him, he's a really decent guy ! ),
    I was declared "Ready for Test" - and booked the date - Yesterday at 11:00 Hrs.

The weather was absolutely awful - Heavy rain, which I do not enjoy riding in
    at the best of times, but the examiner had a chat with me and put me at ease. 

The Test ride lasted just over an hour, comprising a variety of roads - Single and Dual Carriageway,
    Speed Restrictions, National Speed Limits, through Towns, Villages, Open Roads & "Twisties". 

Somehow I managed to put the nerves to one side,
    and rode what I thought was my best ride ever !

At the debrief he cut the suspense short and agreed with me, saying,
    "That was excellent - I'm awarding you a 'F1RST' - Your Brother would be proud of you !"
    ( Pause to clear large lump forming in throat ! )

..... but that's not the end by any means, just the beginning -
    We should all aim to learn something new and improve our skills every time we ride,
    so I'll be spending a lot more time with my new found friends at my local IAM Group.

If, like me, and I suspect this applies to the majority of motorcyclists, you've not had any formal
    motorcycle training, other than a few lessons to get your initial Bike Licence,
    then PLEASE - Have a look at the IAM Web Site, or any other similar organisations such as ROSPA,
    and see what they can offer you !

For less than the cost of most Insurance Excess charges,
    an Advanced Course - or even just one tip - picked up on your first "Lesson"
    could prevent a crash and expensive damage to your beloved Trophy,
    will make you safer on the road - for you own benefit and the benefit of other Road Users,
    and will give your relatives a little peace of mind knowing that you are doing all you can
    to stay safe and become a better rider.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2020, 05.23 pm by Coconut

• Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro  ‐    311

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
    Re: Institute of Advanced Motorcycling
    Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09.07 pm
    Oct 15, 2018, 09.07 pm
    Congratulations Coconut. The skills and goals the IAM develops seem similar the ones put forth by the MSF, Motorcycle Safety Foundation here in the US. My condolences on the loss of your brother. Your accomplishment with the IAM would surely make him proud.
    Regards,
    Bob Verhasselt
    1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
    2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
    2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
    1976 Yamaha RD400C 1969 Rickman 8 valve
    1978 Yamaha DT400E

• Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member  ‐    98

Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Andover
    Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09.35 pm
    Oct 15, 2018, 09.35 pm
    Well done Coconut !!  :046: I could not agree more, I did the course 8 years ago after 35 years of riding. I foolishly thought that after all that time there was not much they could teach me, how wrong can you be!!! I am now a safer and much faster rider and enjoy riding even more now which I did not think would be possible, would recommend it to anyone.

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2018, 10.57 pm
    Oct 15, 2018, 10.57 pm
    Congratulation Coconut on your First, I did my IAM earlier this year, unfortunately "JUST" missing out on an first, but none the less, made me, I believe a better rider / road user, bought my awareness back to where I thought it was,"being an ex HGV class 1 driver".
    The IAM bunch are not a bad lot, I hope to meet up with you at the Motorcycle Muesum some time.
    And like bobv07662, condolances on the loss of your brother, I guess he will be pleased for you.

Paul.

Paul Wilko

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1276

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12.35 am
    Oct 16, 2018, 12.35 am
    Like those above me I congratulate you on your new status. Also the loss of your brother would have been an upsetting experience. We have a number of very good riding schools in Australia, the only two I have completed are the VicRoads [government run] braking and the cornering courses. Interesting in that in the braking course I did my very first emergency [very hard] braking. The instructor found it interesting when I mentioned this fact [apart from when I raced bikes] and his conclusion was that in all the years of my riding I obviously hadn't put myself in a position to require me to do so. I started riding as a young fella of 15, now 70. So, just maybe/hopefully I'm doing something right.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2018, 03.19 am
    Oct 16, 2018, 03.19 am
    Congratulations Coconut!
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline Mongoose

• Trophy Member  ‐    74

Offline Mongoose

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 TT 1200SE
    • City / Town: Lancashire
    Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01.31 pm
    Oct 16, 2018, 01.31 pm
    Congratulations! I keep meaning to do some off road courses to help with balance and slow riding. You might just have inspired me to book something.
    2013 TT se in Dark Blue

• Offline rvbobby   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    416

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Raleigh nc
    Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2018, 02.40 am
    Oct 19, 2018, 02.40 am
    Awesome! I always wondered what happened to your 1st Trophy? Thanks for sharing