Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Drop link maintanance  (Read 379 times)

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
Drop link maintanance
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
Afternoon all,

Well today I bit the bullet and stripped the drop linkage and replaced the bearings.
It took me 3hrs, I don't know if that's good or bad, but I spent a bit of time scratching my head trying to figure out how to remove the bolt that's obscured by the centre stand.
For myself, I found that if I first placed the bike on the centre stand, remove the exhaust,and a small jack under the swing arm to take the weight off the wheel etc, and off the drop links. The bolts and sleeves came out very easy, the problem was the front bolt, after a little pondering, some may reel in horror, but I placed a stout piece of timber along under the exhaust box, and sump, and raised the bike so the centre stand "just" cleared the floor, folding it back gave enough room to extract the bolt, and remove the drop link.
All bearings replaced, with the "correct" ones, and new seals, I then realised that I have left the bolts and nuts on site, in the stores where I acquired the bearings, It comes in handy being a contractor and working in one of the countries leading cement manufacture, they get through a lot of bearings  :745: ….I'm back in there next week so will pick them up then.
Anyway, as I say, all fitted and greased, new sleeves, and seals, and the bolt's now in the "correct" way, all's left is to replace the old bolts and nut's, and job done.

The old needle bearings were in surprisingly good condition, I'm guessing these are the original, the bike has covered 22600 miles on a 2013 reg.

I would just add, I read and read all the threads on how to do this via the search on the site, and for the detailed info on how to do this, I'm no mechanic by any means, but working in an engineering environment does help, I like to get "stuck in" but also know my limits, but as I said, a wealth of information can be found if you do a search.

On a foot note, placing the timber under the exhaust box and sump, is this not the same as using a hydraulic lift, the bike was reasonably balanced, and got me wondering if purchasing one would be beneficial. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:24:04 PM by Wilko »
Paul Wilko

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Drop link maintanance
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 05:47:42 PM »
An update to my post.

I posted the same post on facebook, on the "Triumph Trophy Owners Group", someone posted this...…..

I think you will find the bolt was in the correct way. It's to stop it falling out if the nut comes loose. I only found out after I did the same on my 955i Daytona.

So, WAS it the right way around, or what..... :187:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:32:42 PM by Wilko »
Paul Wilko

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
I don't recall there having been a single report of that nut working loose -
whichever way around the bolt is fitted !

It is only when the bike is on the Centre Stand that the Bolt cannot be withdrawn
IF it was inserted from the left hand side - When being ridden, if the nut worked loose,
the bolt could, theoretically, "fall out" whichever way around it was fitted !

"Other Forums" eh ? !  :164:

The Service Manual states that the bolt should be inserted from the right side of the bike,
so that it can be withdrawn while the bike is on the centre stand.

HOWEVER, Having discussed this with a Triumph Representative, it appears that the Trophy assembly
drawings, used when the machine is put together, DO show the bolt being inserted from the left,
although no explanation for this discrepancy with the Service Manual description was given.

In practical terms, for the function being performed - it makes NO difference,
and only makes a difference for anyone wishing to service the parts in accordance
with the information contained in the Service Manual they may have purchased !

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

The Service Manual states that the bolt should be inserted from the right side of the bike,
so that it can be withdrawn while the bike is on the centre stand.

You still can't fully withdraw that bolt because the head still hits the centre stand, you can pull it out far enough to be able to pull the wishbone out though.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »
Yes, Yes, Ok - I should have said ....

.. so that the bolt can be withdrawn sufficiently to dis-assemble the drag link pivot while on the centre stand....” - as discussed on multiple occasions previously,
but the new Point being made was giving a suggestion that it is inserted from the left
to prevent it “falling out” if the nut works loose - which as far as I can tell “could” happen whichever side the bolt is inserted from, when the bike is being ridden,
i.e. with the Centre Stand raised ( #Yawn ).

Mi

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
Even if there were something to stop that bolt sliding out whilst riding, what about the other bolts associated with that assembly? There certainly isn't anything from blocking them falling out.

At the end of the day, there are just so many items that could fail/fall off a bike. :012:

Offline 1675

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »
Good write up.
Anyone with the front bolt still fitted from the left and wanting to change it round can do it without jacks or wood blocks. Remove the silencer and then the centre stand (with bike on sidestand) Remove the M12 nut on said bolt and with a length of 12 mm round bar, or a bolt with the head cut off (about 100mm long if I recall), gently drift out the bolt to the left. At no time will the bike be unstable, because your drift is now taking the place of the bolt. Then use the bolt you have just drifted out to push out the drift, by tapping it into the front linkage from the right side. Then replace the centre stand, lubing the bushes upon assembly. If you wish to service the linkages, fit the centre stand back on before refitting the bolt (with the drift still in situ) and then put the bike on the centre stand to do this job. It is a lot easier to take the rear wheel off to give better access and reduce the weight of the swing arm. I use a chock under the disc to stop it dropping, prior to taking the wishbone off. Im not sure if the only bikes where the bolt wont come out to the left are those with the modified centre stand bracket/stop, so please check. Mine is a 2013 and was subject to a recall for this mod
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:53:45 AM by 1675 »

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
I placed length of timber under / across the exhaust box and sump, then used a trolley jack to lift the bike so the main stand was “just” clear of the floor, with the main stand folded back, the bolt came out with no problem, and went back in, the other way around, again no problem, after the bearing was removed and lubricated, I will be doing it the same way this weekend as I stupidly left the bolts on the stores counter  :112:.....at no time did the bike feel unstable.
Paul Wilko

tweedy-bunch