Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Changed 12V DC outlets from Euro to US anyone?  (Read 3927 times)

• Offline av8or-dave   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    216
    • Topic Author

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
    • City / Town: Liverpool
    Changed 12V DC outlets from Euro to US anyone?
    on: Oct 25, 2018, 08.21 pm
    Oct 25, 2018, 08.21 pm
    Has anyone changed the female DIN plug (smaller and popular on European motorcycles, like found on the Trophy) to a larger US female cigarette lighter outlet yet, to allow for standard US cigarette lighter male plugs on a European bike like the Trophy without using an adapter?

I'm thinking a Boat/Marine parts supplier might have some with a cover like the OEM Triumph ones, and waterproof?

Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Changed 12V DC outlets from Euro to US anyone?
    Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09.18 pm
    Oct 25, 2018, 09.18 pm
    I haven't changed either the Rider or Passenger Hella / DIN type power outlets,
    which are primarily intended for Heated Gear.

I use the Rider socket for my Optimate charger as that one is constantly live,
    and have an adapter to plug the Optimate directly in there.

I sometimes use the Pillion socket as a Helmet Power supply on a long trip,
    using a USB adapter like this one :

What are you planning to plug in ?

I have changed the Glove box "Cigar type" power socket to a Voltmeter with USB Power socket,
    and find the one in the Top Box to be slightly too large for some of the accessory plugs I have,
    so I might end up changing that to something better/  :084:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 05, 2020, 01.09 pm by Coconut

• Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Eldersburg
    Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2018, 01.41 pm
    Oct 26, 2018, 01.41 pm
    Instead of having to modify the bike to change the female plug, it'd probably be easier to cut and splice the wire for the male end of things.....

Or, just use what Coconut posted, I have one of those as well.

Cheers,

Steve

• Offline redcap0006   ie

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194

Offline redcap0006

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TT SE
    • City / Town: Athlone
    Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2018, 02.02 pm
    Oct 26, 2018, 02.02 pm
     :460:

Change the plug is the option I would explore.  Leave the bike original as possible IMHO

• Trophy Pro  ‐    216
    • Topic Author

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2018, 03.03 pm
    Oct 26, 2018, 03.03 pm
    It seems that things like mini Emergency Air Compressors, some jump-start-cables, some heated clothing, etc...here in the USA lean towards the "Cigar Lighter" size connectors (see below).  Thus, if the OEM sockets were changed out to the prevalent USA sized type, less worry about compatibility with other accessories I'd buy or want to use here in the USA/Canada, etc.   

Why I don't buy appliances/tools for my home which are made to plug into European standard electrical systems - don't want to need a converter device for each of them to be used here in the USA, extra money, extra hassle to keep track of and store, extra thing to go wrong.  Less things (converters) I'd have to carry on a long motorcycle ride, the better too I think.

Types of Plugs -

SAE connector (like those I've seen on Optimate Battery Tenders)

The SAE connector is a hermaphrodite two-conductor DC connector commonly used for solar and automotive applications (also motorcycles). It is so named for the Society of Automotive Engineers who created its specifications.

This connector is typically used for applying a maintenance charge to a vehicle battery. The polarity of the connector, when installed in a vehicle and attached to a battery, is always such that no short circuit will occur if the exposed terminal were to touch the vehicle chassis. In most vehicles, this means that the exposed terminal connects to the negative terminal of the battery. Conversely, the positive terminal on a battery charger is exposed, to mate with the concealed one on the vehicle side. (On vehicles with a positive-ground frame, such as vintage British motorcycles, this is reversed.)

Although there is a risk of short-circuiting a battery charger, the risk is minimal and often mitigated by the circuitry of the battery charger itself. On the other hand, the short circuit current of the lead-acid batteries installed in vehicles is sufficiently great, that a short circuit could result in a fire or explosion. The priority is therefore given to avoiding short circuits of the vehicle battery, rather than of the charger.

Cigar lighter sockets and plugs
    Main article: Cigarette lighter receptacle

A 12 Volt cigar lighter plug
    The car cigarette lighter socket is also called a cigar lighter receptacle, since it was originally designed as a lighter for cigars—hence its rather large size. These sockets were not originally designed to provide DC power, and are not an ideal DC connector for several reasons.[citation needed] Three sizes exist, one for 6 VDC and two for 12 VDC[citation needed] and the mating of the different sized 12 VDC plugs and jacks is problematic. Because of this, and the small gauge wire sometimes used, they may provide unreliable power connections.

The polarity for 12 VDC sockets is center pin positive (+), outer collar negative (−). Reversed polarity will damage some electronic devices.

Although the nominal voltage of a 12 V lead acid battery is 12 VDC, when the engine is running the car's battery charging system will bring the system voltage to 13.8 VDC or higher.[8] The possible range of battery voltages from 11–15 VDC must be taken into account by devices attached to the cigar lighter socket.

This connector is also often used for powering accessories on motorcycles, such as heated clothing (vests, gloves, etc.) or GPS units. This makes "plugging in" easier to manage while wearing gloves. As the accessory lacks any power of its own, there's no risk of "shorting" the exposed connector.[citation needed]

ISO 4165 connector - Looks like the Triumph's connectors.

ISO 4165
    Similar in concept to an automotive cigar lighter, the ISO 4165 connector is shorter and smaller.

Found most frequently on motorcycles, it is also known as a "BMW Accessory", "Hella", "Merit", "Norm"[citation needed] or "Powerlet" connector.

Reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_connector#Cigar_lighter_sockets_and_plugs

Not much luck looking at Marine suppliers (want the cover to be solid hinged and spring loaded to close, many of the marine socket covers are just tethered by a couple of stands of rubber which would probably break off after being in the wind on a motorcycle), maybe some Camper/RV sites to check next?

In the end, there maybe no other good choice but to use converter plugs????
    Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

• Trophy Pro  ‐    216
    • Topic Author

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2018, 03.08 pm
    Oct 26, 2018, 03.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by redcap0006 [+]
    :460:

Change the plug is the option I would explore.  Leave the bike original as possible IMHO

I'm already spending about $2K to modify the bike from original (Crash bars, protection stuff, windshield, etc; some people get aftermarket seats, different color paint jobs....): In for a penny, in for a pound...to make it all it can be for me I say.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2018, 05.56 pm
    Oct 26, 2018, 05.56 pm
    There is already a Cigar Lighter type plug in the Glove Box,
    and another in the Top Box if you have one of those  :028:

Last Edit: Feb 05, 2020, 01.09 pm by Coconut

• Trophy Pro  ‐    216
    • Topic Author

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2018, 10.16 pm
    Oct 26, 2018, 10.16 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    There is already a Cigar Lighter type plug in the Glove Box,
    and another in the Top Box if you have one of those  :028:

Exactly - why not have put on the Triumph Trophy US/Canada exports all of them like that in the first place?

I think I found one on the internet that says they are for motorbikes and other applications.

$14.95 USD each

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12v-120w-cigarette-lighter-power-socket.html

tweedy-bunch