Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Finally got to ride one  (Read 7414 times)

• Offline Blue42

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Blue42

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Maryland, southern
    Finally got to ride one
    on: Oct 27, 2018, 04.07 pm
    Oct 27, 2018, 04.07 pm
    Finally got to ride one of your bikes.  Liked it.  A pilot in Frederick, Maryland was kind enough let me ride his bike.  (Really appreciate it man.)
    And I think what you have here is a well designed, and relatively simply designed (which is a good thing) bike with an engine that is sufficient for pretty much anything.  Engine is not oversized, so you can actually get the gas mileage that you should with a motorcycle.  (I don't really think it's necessary to get 160 hp on a motorcycle.  Especially when doing so makes it get worse gas mileage than my darned 4000 pound car.) 

I didn't really ring the thing out, out of respect, and out of not wanting to die.  But the only reason I wouldn't get this bike at this point would be if the engine isn't racy enough for me.  I started on a Honda VFR with a jewel of an engine that would rev to like 14,000 rpms and make this musical whine sound with the cam gear.  What a thrill.  Then went to a Kawasaki Concours, with an engine that was even more impressive.  So I was spoiled immediately and the BMW R1200RT, for example, feels like an old diesel Volvo--when they used to blow up--to me.  The Triumph is much better.  But I wonder if it's better enough.  I have a Goldwing now, which is to big and slow.  So I've learned that I must have a thrill.  The problem with the VFR and Concours was just that they weren't comfortable enough. 
    Anyway, I thought I'd come back here and post to say that I like the bike.  Good job Triumph. 

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Finally got to ride one
    Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2018, 08.29 pm
    Oct 27, 2018, 08.29 pm
    Which year of Goldwing do you have? The current 1800 that's at my local dealers certainly looks slimmer than the previous 1800, it looks pretty much the same width has my Trophy, have Honda done that on a purpose I wonder,.....what do you think?

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2018, 11.08 pm
    Oct 27, 2018, 11.08 pm
    The new GW looks more trim for sure, but it still isn't the Trophy in fuel economy, and it's still outweighs the Trophy by almost 200 lbs.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline thumper

• Trophy Pro  ‐    139

Offline thumper

• Trophy Pro
    • Naty von Ozirisz 1997-2011
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: So Cal
    Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2018, 01.15 am
    Oct 28, 2018, 01.15 am
    If you liked the Trophy's engine, but want more oomph, ride a Triumph Tiger 1200 (or Explorer 1200.)     I'm a former sport bike guy, with my most recent being CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, VFR1200F, and ZX-6R.      I now have a Trophy and Tiger 1200.   

The Tiger 1200 has pretty much the same drivetrain as the Trophy, yet weighs over 100lbs less.     It accelerates much harder, corners quicker, and is overall much more sporty than the Trophy.    The newest Tigers have all the latest goodies...TFT dash, cornering ABS, cornering traction control, semi-active suspension, etc.   

:821:
    ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander

• Offline Blue42

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Blue42

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2018, 02.07 am
    Oct 28, 2018, 02.07 am
    Yea, they've trimmed down the Goldwing a lot.  I think all the jokes about cars on two wheels made their way back to Honda.  The pre-2002 Goldwings were real barges.  The 2002-20(?)14's were trimmed a lot.  And the newer ones even more.  Mine is a 2008.  It is a really nice bike.  I just don't take it on longer rides enough, and I've learned that I really like a thrill.  I always opened up the Concours or VFR at least once every time I went out.  Not so with the Goldwing; and that cuts into the fun a lot.
    Thanks for the thoughts on the Tiger, but I'm pretty set on a sport tourer.  Something else I picked up with my first bike, the VFR, is that I hate wind.  I will never forget trips out in the cold freezing my butt off and wishing I had something in front of me.  And I hate going deaf from wind too.  I've ridden a couple adventure bikes for a fair distance and they just aren't refined enough for me.  They're really comfortable on the legs and back, and really practical, but not smooth enough for me.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2018, 10.09 am
    Oct 28, 2018, 10.09 am
    Maybe the bike you are looking for doesn't actually exist.

Up until I were 28 I owned nothing but sports bikes then a got into touring two up so ended up with a Wing, at first I still tried to ride it like a sports bike, went through pads and disks very quickly until I learned to change my whole approach to motorcycles/motorcycling period,.....you just can't have it all in one machine.

There are basically 3 different styles of motorcycle made for good reason, just like with hand tools etc, pick the right tool for the job in the first place.

For me the Trophy is pretty close as a 'two in one' motorcycle, it's touring biased abilities is my number one, that's what I want/look for in a motorcycle now.
    Lowering the screen and removing the luggage turns it into a more than enough of a 'sports bike' for me.

• Offline Blue42

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Blue42

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2018, 01.09 am
    Oct 31, 2018, 01.09 am
    Maybe the bike you are looking for doesn't actually exist.

Dude, that is exactly what I said to a friend of mine when I finished riding the Trophy a couple months ago.  I want a racy four cylinder engine in a bike that is actually comfortable, gets the mileage a motorcycle should get, and could take a passenger easily.  I have finally realized--there isn't one.  It took me a while to figure out what I actually wanted.  And once I did, I realized out pretty quick that it didn't exist.   
    Not that it couldn't exist.   

I've ridden all the sport tourers and the only ones that are comfortable to me are the BMW and Trophy.  ST1300 is not too bad. 

Yes, it looks like the Trophy is the closest to meeting this.  Or possibly the BMW K1600GT, at the cost of higher price for everything--about doubled it looks like--and complexity, and 39mpg. 

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1341

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2018, 02.29 pm
    Oct 31, 2018, 02.29 pm
    I owned a BMW K1600GTL for five years. Of all the bikes I have owned in my 46 years of riding, none has had a more thrilling engine. If exciting performance in a sport tourer is your top priority, the K1600GT is your bike. Reports of poor fuel economy do not reflect my experience. Use the throttle judiciously, and you can get 46 mpg on the highway, as long as you aren't doing 80 mph.
    The Trophy does not offer the same thrilling acceleration, but from my short 1,000 mile ownership experience, I think that it is a very well balanced and cohesive design.
    Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

tweedy-bunch