Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: A way to make everything work Bluetooth - REALLY!  (Read 6081 times)

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    A way to make everything work Bluetooth - REALLY!
    on: Oct 31, 2018, 07.11 pm
    Oct 31, 2018, 07.11 pm
    I just solved all my Bluetooth connection issues in a way that gives me phone, TomTom Rider navigation, Trophy audio, and intercom, through my Sena 20S Evo headset (or any headset that has 2 Bluetooth channels).  I paired my Samsung Note 9 phone (it has 2 Bluetooth channels)with my headset as "phone selective pairing" and paired my phone to the TomTom Rider 550 as "mobile phone", then paired the TomTom with the headset as "mobile phone".  Now comes the interesting part.  I took one of my old SMH10 headsets, put it on a helmet clamp mount made for boom mic and earbuds and mounted it to the opposite side of the helmet from the 20S.  I paired the SMH10 to the Trophy on "Device 2", then intercom paired it to the 20S.  One press on the SMH10 to open the intercom channel with the 20S and then a long press (2 quick beeps) and the SMH10 is streaming the Trophy audio to the headset.  I'm not sure yet if it will recover the intercom streaming function if it's interrupted by the Nav directions or a phone call, but it should.  If not it just takes a second or two to restore it.  Supposedly if the receiving headset interrupts the intercom connection once it is terminated the connection to the sending intercom will be restored.  I'll find out after I go ride it some and post a follow up.  Good thing is I can still have my Sena paired with the Trophy and use the audio if I don't have the Nav on the bike by selecting which device to pair with on the phone, and my SMH10 unit can still be used by a pillion on their own helmet mount for intercom, their own phone, and Trophy audio.  Until Sena or someone else decides to give us a Bluetooth hub with 4 or more channels and each channel's function prioritized so each device could be connected with a single pairing to the hub I think this may be the only solution.  The streaming audio sounds great BTW (at least to my half deaf ears with earbuds in).  More info to come.
    Glenn
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Re: A way to make everything work Bluetooth - REALLY!
    Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2018, 12.58 pm
    Nov 03, 2018, 12.58 pm
    It works just like it should with the exception of having to manually re-establish the intercom and streaming function from the SMH10, which takes a quick tap on the jog dial and a long press on the jog dial once the intercom connection is opened.  Funny thing is that the audio sounds better going through the SMH10 and then to the 20S EVO than it ever did going through just one of either version.  Really odd.  Final verdict, for anyone that doesn't have a Bluetooth type GPS hardwired into the Trophy audio and has an extra, or a passenger with a headset, this is a way to get it all to work wirelessly and have full function capability.  Not sure what anybody will think about having two Bluetooth units on my helmet yet. :008:  I was out with 4 other guys yesterday and none of them even noticed it.

• Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro  ‐    346

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
    • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
    Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01.51 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 01.51 pm
    Sorry for the threadcromancy, but I just bought a Cardo Packtalk Bold, and have had issues that seem related to why you might be hoop-jumping to get stuff working.

First, I want to ask...why the hoop-jumping? Why not pair your phone to device one on your headset, then pair the bike to device 2, with your GPS hard-wired to the Trophy audio-in?

This might be a rhetorical question, because this is what I did, and the problem I have it that the bike connection is so fragile and intermittent as to be useless. Is this why you sought an alternative?

Hmm.

Ok, so before I bought the Cardo, I was using ear buds, and I did this by buying a cheapo Bluetooth receiver that has a wired audio-out. I paired the bike to this receiver, then connected that audio-out on the receiver to a small 12VDC mixer-amp thingy, and ran a long audio cable to the front of the bike (this stuff is in my trunk) to which I plugged my ear buds. In this way, I could use the bike's SiriusXM, AM/FM, as well as my GPS that is hard-plugged into the audio-in on the bike.

From a bluetooth perspective, this worked perfect. DOn't worry if this is confusing; the point is simple:

Whe I BT the bike to this setup, it works great 100% of the time with no drop-outs etc. WHen I BT the bike to my new Cardo, it sucks and is unusable.

Ok, so this is what I'm considering: There are devices like my BT receiver that can work as a rec or a transmitter, with a wired connection. In this way, I could retain my previous entire setup, except that I'd be replacing my long wire for buds with this new device, then pairing my Cardo to it as device 2.

Making sense?

I hope so...will post up if anyone is interested.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05.24 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 05.24 pm
    My GPS isn't hard wired in, but it is paired to my phone and the Sena 20S, and I also have my phone able to pair with my headset and the headset can pair to the Trophy.  All that works fine with any TWO of those devices, but the problem is to make all three work all the time.  The only reason for all the convoluted procedure is that when I don't have my GPS on the bike for around town I can still use the 20S with my phone and the Trophy.   When  I do have the GPS, I use device 2 paired to my SMH10 and stream the Trophy audio to the Sena 20S which covers all the other functions.  The reason for using the SMH10 to stream is that I can always snap it into the bracket on the passenger's helmet and all the audio will work for both rider and passenger and the passenger could still pair their own phone to the 10 and use it as needed.  I wouldn't mind that kind of interruption in the audio to my helmet for short periods.  I have never had any persistent bluetooth going in and out issues in the entire time I've had my 2013.  I know this system sounds really crazy to some, but it works for me and I avoid having to repair things all the time due to the way I have the bike configured at any given time.  I haven't re-paired any of the devices since I set it up like this.  Probably an easier way to have it function would be use device 2 to the headset and stream that audio to the passsenger's SMH10 when I have one.  I haven't tried to re-pair things that way to see if it will work the way I want.
    Last Edit: Mar 21, 2019, 05.33 pm by trophied

• Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro  ‐    346

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08.30 pm
    Apr 15, 2019, 08.30 pm
    Ok, so I've been working with my Packtalk Bold some, and I have a question for you.

Why not just pair your phone to the TomTom, then pair the TomTom to ch1 of the headset, and then pair the Trophy-out to ch2 of the headset? In this way you would have all of your phone functionality and GPS function* all coming through ch1 of the Sena, and then all of the Trophy audio on ch2 of the Sena. The TomTom handles all of the phone functionality including streaming audio through it right? What are you gaining by adding the extra Sena device? I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't know what that is.**

Do tell!

*I am assuming the TomTom does that stuff the same way the Garmin GPS jobbers do.

**I have tried this exact setup on my bike with the PackTalk Bold, and while it all connects up, I have yet to be able to get the Trophy Audio to reliably play via ch2 of the Cardo if ch1 is connected to any other device (phone, gps, etc). But it _should_ work!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2019, 11.58 pm
    Apr 15, 2019, 11.58 pm
    Well.  I've gone back to pairing the phone and the Trophy to the headset and left the TomTom out of it.  The main reason I didn't care for pairing the phone to the TomTom was that if I was riding locally and didn't need the TomTom I had no phone pairing, but of course the logical solution (my mind doesn't always work that way at 72) would be pair it to both and when I ride select the device to connect to via bluetooth on my phone's settings, but then every time I stop it might want to connect to the headset again instead of the TomTom, so I'd have to remember to check (again, doesn't always work that way at 72).  Trust me you'll know about these things at 72 and think AHA!, now I see the problem. :745:  You might try pairing the Trophy to your Cardo as the phone, and pair the phone to the Cardo as a second mobile phone to make it work.  What I have found with the Sena is that once everything is powered up for the first time during the day, if I don't have the Trophy audio I have to hold down my intercom (jog button on the Sena) for 2 seconds for the double beep and then it connects to the Trophy audio for the rest of the day and the phone operation interrupts the audio and reconnects when the phone disconnects.  I don't know how each of those functions on the Cardo are accessed, but I bet they are there.  It's a bluetooth priority thing when first starting up for the day.  Look at your Cardo manual and I'll bet you find an easy solution and it all works seamlessly.  Cardos are good units, the new ones especially are the top of the food chain for the audio output.

• Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro  ‐    346

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2019, 02.41 am
    Apr 16, 2019, 02.41 am
    If only it were that simple. I've done everything in the manual and more, and spent hours on the phone with support. No go. Not giving up though!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2019, 04.17 am
    Apr 16, 2019, 04.17 am
    Try pairing the Trophy audio as a second mobile phone or maybe even "media device" or whatever Cardo calls the equivalent of that Sena description.  I have to turn on my Sena before I start the motorcycle when I fire it up for the first time each day.  Don't ask me why that is, but it seems to work that way without any issues.  Is your phone only paired to the Nav, or is it also paired to the headset or the Trophy as well?  Maybe it needs to have the appropriate device selected in the phone settings.  One last question, is it an I-phone?  Hope not.  My last headset issue revolved around an I-phone update and spending 2 hours on the phone with a service rep only to finally get a supervisor involved who told me that  "engineering is aware of the issue, but there is no solution at the moment" and I should "wait for future updates".  I had already spent over half an hour on the phone with a Sena rep that couldn't troubleshoot it and told me the unit must be defective and I should return it which I did and the replacement did the same thing.  Hence the Apple calls and e-mails (yes multiples).