Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] U.S. Deer Collisions By State  (Read 3440 times)

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1480
    • Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    U.S. Deer Collisions By State
    on: Nov 13, 2018, 05.02 pm
    Nov 13, 2018, 05.02 pm
    I thought that those of us who travel in The States might be interested in the latest statistics, broken down by State.
    There might be some surprises...  :187:

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1337

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Re: U.S. Deer Collisions By State
    Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 11.34 pm
    Nov 13, 2018, 11.34 pm
    Saddle Tramp, very interesting. Here in Australia we have the problem of kangaroo strikes, mainly at night, but not unknown during the day. Lately though we are seeing an increasing number of deer, mainly introduced Sambar, featuring in vehicle collisions.
     What a number of my long distance riding friends and I have done is fit a vehicle/truck reversing beeper to the front of our bikes. The type are about 95 to 110 decibels and about three inches round by about the same in length. I have fitted mine under the front of the left side headlight to the screw that holds the infill panel in place. I have a switch on a bracket alongside my LED driving lights switches. All these are on an aluminium plate attached to the extra rear view mirror mounting hole on the left switch block. Like the LED lights, I have run the beeper through a relay.
      We have tested these units in very heavily kangaroo infested areas and find that they appear to work best at between 80 - 95 kilometres per hour. Any faster and you tend to be overrunning the sound, a bit like riding too fast for your lights.
      We also find them fairly good for reducing bird life strikes. Especially birds that feed along the road edge on seeds, etc. These beepers don't solve all our problems, like the roo that might be on a mission, bounding from one side of the road to the other. But they attract the attention of those grazing on green grass along the road edge. They look up and generally turn away from the road.
      I don't know how effective these beepers would be with deer. We see fewer deer than kangaroos, but they are becoming more common. Hope this idea gives you food for thought. It's a simple solution, and if it only helps once, then it's paid for your time and money well and truly.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2018, 03.07 am
    Nov 14, 2018, 03.07 am
    Thanks for your thoughtful response HACKLE. There are actually products that have been developed that are purported to prevent deer collisions, utilizing a sound frequency just above the human threshold. I purchased and installed one not long after my first deer collision (thankfully in an SUV). I never noticed any difference in the responses of deer I passed along the roadway while using it, and eventually discarded it when it finally quit working. Two deer collisions later ( unfortunately one of them on a motorcycle at 60 mph) has convinced me that nothing will deter a deer in full flight from its chosen path, and with less than a second between the time you see it, and it hits you, all you have time for is to shout  :172:

• Offline HACKLE   au

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2018, 11.28 pm
    Nov 15, 2018, 11.28 pm
    Saddle Tramp, as I said above, the same is for the roos on a mission [full flight] crossing the road. The best thing to do [Australian members have found] is to accelerate and steer into the roo, hitting it with the front end lifted through the acceleration. If you brake and try to steer away, the result is in effect they hit you and you continue the trajectory off the road to hit whatever awaits you.
     We've had some "good" and "bad" results from roo hits. The only thing here that is of a deer size, is cattle on unfenced properties. A black cow sleeping on a warmed bitumen road at night is truly scary. A couple of our members have tried heat sensing cameras on their bikes. The problem is trusting the technology to ride by the screen and not your own looking ability to pick out wildlife. I've seen some footage from one member in Western Australia and this technology is so good it can pick up rabbits sitting behind bushes on the roadside. At the present though this technology is very expensive.
     The best method of avoidance is probably being as vigilant as possible and slowing down in known hot spots. All the best with your night time [and daytime] riding.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2018, 01.59 am
    Nov 16, 2018, 01.59 am
    To be honest, I almost never ride after dark any more.
    Maybe I am gaining wisdom with age...
    Nah!  :153:

• Offline HACKLE   au

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2018, 10.24 pm
    Nov 17, 2018, 10.24 pm
    Saddle Tramp, some would say that isn't the case. You still ride a motorcycle don't you. :008: :008:

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2018, 10.49 pm
    Nov 17, 2018, 10.49 pm
    How True!
    I wonder why my Wife keeps purchasing additional life insurance for me.  :435:

• Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03.43 pm
    Dec 04, 2018, 03.43 pm
    Just to add a little perspective to this discussion, the Wisconsin Gun Deer hunting season just ended last weekend. The State reported 211,430 deer were harvested.
    IN NINE DAYS! IN WISCONSIN!

That doesn’t include the almost 80,000 additional deer that were harvested during the Archery and Crossbow seasons that ran before gun deer.

And the numbers are not yet in for Muzzle Loader season, that wraps up this weekend.

tweedy-bunch