Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Electrical socket in top box  (Read 316 times)

Offline UK Brit 5

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
  • City / Town: Roseville CA
Electrical socket in top box
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:03:50 PM »
Hello Chaps
What is the powered 12v socket in my top box, what I really mean is what fits it, none of my standard stuff does. Someone please enlighten me. 
Blindly brand loyal to Triumph
Riding 75 T160 and 2015 Trophy SE

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
Re: Electrical socket in top box
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
I use an Anker brand cigarette lighter/USB charger/adapter in the 12 VDC port in the top box, with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0129YS2BS/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

I've used other brands less sucessfully - they were a little loose in the port.
IBA #69644

Offline UK Brit 5

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 03:12:58 AM »
Thank you kindly for your very quick response, what a great forum this is. I have not tried this brand but obviously have tried others, and I assume the socket is designed for a different type of fitting to the standard auto cigarette lighters. It does not seem to make any sense that it is so loose. Anyway, I've put it on my list in Amazon but I am still curious if there is something else I don't know about this fitting, such as a different product that is designed to fit in there.
Any thoughts ?

Cheers
Andy

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »
I once bought a little 12V rechargeable torch that came with a reducer 'sleeve' which solves this problem, obviously these ciggy sockets are not all the same size.

For my Trophy, I made a sleeve to fit on my lathe.

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 11:00:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by UK Brit 5 [+]
I have not tried this brand but obviously have tried others, and I assume the socket is designed for a different type of fitting to the standard auto cigarette lighters. It does not seem to make any sense that it is so loose.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any "real" standard for cigarette lighter adapters, or if there is, it doesn't appear to be closely adhered to by all manufacturers - I went through several before I found one that actually fit snugly.  Most were kind of wobbly when inserted.

The Wikipedia entry for these things shows that there are a few standards. There's an American (A) and British (B) standard and they're different.  Also, it states that one of the disadvantages is, "poor contact reliability" - go figure, huh...?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:55:44 AM by brenchley »
IBA #69644

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »
The Internal diameter of the OEM Trophy Power socket fitted in the Glove Box and the Top Bxs is 22.0 mm.

I have a number of differnet makes of USB Adapter, and a small rechargeable torch
designed to fit intio "Cigar Lighter" sockets, and they are all loose.

I no longer have the socket in the Glove box - I used to have a USB adapter plugged into it,
but it kept shaking loose, so I swapped it out for a Digital Voltmeter with dual USB charging Ports.

I still have the Top Box socket, but have recently purchased a cheap replacement for it
( Chinese - via eBay ), which has an Internal diameter of 21.2 mm.
That 0.8mm difference makes a lot of difference, and the accessories I have all fit snugly into it  :028:

All I need to do now is find time to try and fit it !

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline UK Brit 5

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
Thanks for the numbers, that is only .016" per side, but enough to make the fit wobbly, as an old school craftsman I'm still more comfortable in inches and if I had a lathe available I would make a sleeve. Once again I am grateful for all the  replies and the quality of the replies, what a great forum. 

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
I swapped them over this afternoon !

Not easy to get the original one out - needs a little careful persuasion and twisting !  :191:

Of course the new slightly smaller Power socket also has a slightly smaller retaining collar,
meaning it doesn't click and lock into the hole inside the Top Case.

I re-used the original collar and just wrapped about 3 turns of electrical Insulation tape
around the body of the new Power Socket - which held it firmly enough in the collar.  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

tweedy-bunch