Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: DAB Digital Radio (UK ) for the Trophy SE with Forum Discount Offer !  (Read 13404 times)

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Re: DAB Digital Radio (UK ) for the Trophy SE with Forum Discount Offe
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2020, 12:54:36 AM »
This weekend I want to do some tests with another type of DAB antenna and with another type of amplifier (without diplexer) the idea would be to work with independent antennas and since the DAB system is not immune to interference, I want to move the antenna away from the place of where it is located. Too many peripherals next to the antenna, switchboard, lights, turn signals, immobilizer, etc.

So, I will test on top of the TopCase, I will gain height, clearer and will be away from possible interference.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Eloteq

• Trophy Member
  • Born Again biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT1215 & KAW ER6F
  • City / Town: Knighton
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2020, 10:41:13 AM »
Hi digital. I’ve loved reading this thread.

After fitting a radio I’m now fitting the Dension Dab U under the seat and running the USB lead to the front connection.  I have a few questions you will know the answer:-

1. What does the Dension adapter port do and why can’t I use a Heschen relay to swap over the connections of the USB power & data. What does it do? Why is it needed.

2. What aerial and ground setup is best to start with. (I haven’t purchased my DAB aerial yet).

3. I’ve seen many powered roof mount dual fm/dab aerials but they are fixed at 70 degrees, does anybody know the angle of the Trophy aerial: the mount looks angle so believe 70 degrees may work.

Keep up the good work and excellent input. 

*Originally Posted by digital [+]
Another afternoon of work !!!

I have already installed and finished the installation of the DAB + U and also the adapter port for DAB + U......
“Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2020, 12:34:44 PM »
Eloteq, for the moment answered the first question.

The USB port is necessary to continue listening to the USB flash drive, without having to disconnect the USB cable to switch from one mode to another.

I explain how I did it:
The DAB + U and the USB port adapter, I put it under the seat (inside the stereo box).

Then pass a USB cable (male to male) from DAB + U and I have connected it to the glove box USB connector. but ... I took the connector out of the glove box and put it underneath, between the glove box and resting in the fuel tank.

Therefore, there are no cables inside the glove box.

Then, from the port adapter, a harness with a DIN type connector comes out (included with the USB port) and enters the DAB + U.

Now on the DAB + U there is an empty USB input and this is where I insert the mp3 USB flash drive.

I have discarded the switch from the USB port and now I have installed two change options, by a button from the front of the motorcycle or by a remote control, both by remote control that actuates the relays.

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »
A small preview of how the work is going:

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »
Eloteq, regarding the second question. To choose one antenna or another. It is related to the signal in the area.

So I have checked with this topic. It is very clear that an antenna covering 100x100 DAB frequencies is necessary and the longer the antenna (the greater the signal gain it will have) the better !!!

The BIII channels, if I remember correctly, go from channel 5 to channel 12 and the frequencies of the Digital Radio DAB Band III (Channels 5 - 11) = 174 MHz - 220 MHz (VHF).

Therefore, the antenna must cover those frequencies.

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »
Eloteq answered the third and last question. Hahaha.

From my experience, I can say that the angle of inclination of an antenna in a vehicle is not important.

There are people who place the antenna completely vertical in the TTSE and others, as in my case, always have it completely folded, I would say that it is at 45 °, at the moment the vehicle moves, that is useless.

Please note that these are not directive signals focused on the antennas directly to a sending center.

Therefore, do not solve this problem, since the signal that is radiated in the antenna comes from the radio emitting centers and they are circular, the antenna picks up the signal by its 360 °.

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2020, 10:12:42 AM »
At this point I finish the job of receiving the DAB signal.

Considering that here, there is hardly any DAB signal ...

With the antenna and dipole that I have built, at least the DAB signal remains stable at home.

Spain is broadcasting a radio signal in Digital Audio Broadcasting, better known as DAB. And very few know it. And less, they listen to it. But it is issued with twenty percent coverage, focused on Madrid and Barcelona, ​​through two issuing centers, Torrespaña and Collserola, respectively. More and more new vehicles are incorporating DAB technology into their radio receiver equipment, and their technological evolution, the DAB +, is much more efficient. And I have already met some followers of this website who tell me their surprise when, when messing around, they discover the digital terrestrial radio signal -the famous DAB-, the same one that Europe has adopted as a norm, and that is being developed in our closest neighbors, such as Germany, Italy or France, not to mention Great Britain, where coverage exceeds 99 percent, and penetration 51 percent.

As I am locked up at home now I cannot prove more ...

I live in a town 35 km from Barcelona.

When I go back to work in Barcelona I will be able to see the result, since in the city there is more signal coming from the issuing center located in the same city.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:16:41 AM by digital »

Offline Eloteq

• Trophy Member
  • Born Again biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT1215 & KAW ER6F
  • City / Town: Knighton
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »
Thanks for the help.

And great work by the way.

It’s really interesting what you’ve done.

*Originally Posted by digital [+]
Eloteq answered the third and last question. Hahaha.

Fro....
“Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.”